All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. if it doesn't dry with 8-9 hours of strong UV or daylight there is something wrong with the varnish
  3. Those Brits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIIoWFnsc6w
  4. This old topic show with precision how to make a new button ring. Hope it helps
  5. Thank you for your response. I have the Italian text and the translation, but I made a small variation with less mastic and more colophony. I read also with interest your numerous posts about this receipt. I found that you use the same diluted varnish as a sealer in a post, but when I did the same, the wood was soaking unequally to the wood (the known effect when oil goes to wood). So, do y have any suggestion for the sealer? Again thank you Thank you Jim. I do not have UV, I just use the natural light, tea etc. So, it seems to take a lot of time to dry.
  6. Nothing to do with the varnish. The fumes make me ill.
  7. Hi Jim ! Could you explain not wanting to use turpentine? Thanks !
  8. I use a 1:1 linseed oil to resin (Hargrave recipe) without solvents. It has a long open time and dries well, but only under UV. It is thick enough that I have to apply with fingers to get on a thin layer. Using turpentine is not an option for me.
  9. Today
  10. Thanks, but I'm not retiring (again). I'm definitely moving on to a more desirable job. Last day Friday, first day Monday.
  11. Yeah, but people recognize a Camaro. If you get some million-dollar Italian thingy (let's call it a "Crapparatti Testosteronna") nobody's gonna know what it is except the Highway Patrol, who will watch it very closely indeed.
  12. The original Marciana varnish is 2 parts oil, one part mastic, one part colophony, as the original recipe kept in the Marciana Library, Venice: "Togli per una misura: una libra d'olio di linseme, et quocilo come si fà in una pignatta invetriata netta, poi vi metti su mesa libbra di pece greca chiara et bella et polverizzata et mesta quando la metti, tanto che si incorpori bene a fuoco dolce, poi vi metti su mezza libra di mastice macinato, et quando lo metti perché ei rigonfia leverai però la pignata da fuoco et mettilo su a poco a poco mestando et incorporando bene, poi torna la pignata al fuoco et mesta tanto che si solva ogni cosa bene, poi mettivi quanto una noce di allume di roccha arso pesto et mesta che si solva et incorpori bene poi lievala dal fuoco et colala per peza lina vecchia et serbala, et per legname, et per ferro et per carta et corame et per ogni dipintura et lavoro farà un opera bellissima et per stare alla aqua, et quando ti pare soda stempera con olio di lino come si fa etc. ".
  13. All I gots' ta say is "life is a little bit better in a Camaro" oh and I'm just a waitin' for invicta to start "icing it out" at that point, full cheezwhiz will have been achieved and I WILL find an IROC Z
  14. Hello. I made some Colophony - Marciana's varnish as proposed "Giovanni" (and I thank him a lot) member here in maestronet (in an older post I had) with the following parts: 3 parts linseed oil (you can see the link for the oil I used - Winsor). Then 2 parts of colophony and 1 part mastic. I used it on different sealers: 1) shellac 2) colophony very diluted in alcohol. I have not tested it with plaster yet. When I dilute the varnish with turpentine (again Winsor) it dries in some hours very nice. So, do I have to use it diluted with turpentine or something goes wrong? Also, does anyone know if the sealer of diluted colophony-alcohol cracks after time? Thank you very much all for your time
  15. You probably can't shock or awe anyone but a watch collector with super-expensive watches anyway, since they won't recognize what it is. Given the tasteless design, glitzy shiny complicated see-through look, and increasing size of many new watches even in the $1M to $2M class, most people would confuse the business jet on your wrist with an overdone $500 Invicta you got marked-down on eBay for $65.
  16. Well, just answering certainly helps....no one, including myself is accusing you of anything, just speculating... "Isn't it reasonable to find a traditional Italian violin?"....NO NOT REALLY and all I can say is good luck and that it probably would have been a better idea to check with experts before buying.... If you have the brains to find this place, it would have been a good Idea research first, then buy....
  17. If you go to one of his shows, he will do Hank Sr. for the first half and then warn everyone that the second half of the show will be different. He usually describes it in a way that strongly offends the folks who won't like it, so they leave.
  18. To reiterate - the last thing someone presenting a violin with a fake certificate would do is to seek exposure on a public forum. The idea that we are "teaching the fakers how to succeed" is a kind of hubris.
  19. You are new member. Less than 10 posts, not allowed to post direct. Administrator must approve posts for new members. Administrator is not constantly on duty. You wait until he reads and approves. We all had this happen when we were new. Some readers here are skeptical of your posts. This happens because there have been false posts sometimes in past. Ignore the negative comments and continue to post. We will try to help you. The violin described in your pictures and your comments looks like better-grade but mass-produced German violin made 120 years ago. The violin label is false. False labels in violins are commonly seen in posts here.
  20. Just like everything else...no orig. ideas here.
  21. Heres four 19th century French bow screws. All 0.75 pitch except one.
  22. Google blocked - that would be China? It seems that most violins in the market today have fake or otherwise unreliable labels. And many certificates are flawed if not completely faked. A student would be best advised to find a nice violin with good sound, and not worry about labels or certificates or provenance until much later. Oddly enough the desk next to mine at work is usually occupied by a rean Nigerian prince. And his English is better than mine.
  23. I used to think some famous makers used low arch heights for acoustic reasons but I suspect they were just being cheap by trying to get more plates out of a chunk of wood. I've gone to completely flat plates.
  24. Congratulations! I surprised some people when I retired, too.
  25. Thanks for this one, David. Beautiful, and sweet. There's a "Charlie" lives just up the road from me, his wife and him are great people.
  26. In the Systen Francais link , it mentions they are almost identical to modern ISO metric but with rounded roots . Also angle can be 55 degrees for the smaller threads. Don`t know if that`s what they used but don`t see why not, for earlier French bows.
  1. Load more activity