Sign in to follow this  
picfiddle

Florida Violin Specialty Stores

My teacher/luthier will be leaving on thursday for a holiday in Fort Myers, Florida. He was wondering if there were any specialty strings shops/suppliers/ dealers in the vicinity. Last time he was there he found some general music stores but they were pretty much what one could find anywhere. I promised him I'd post here and see if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Hey picfiddle.

I live in the Ft Myers area and there is absolutely NO specialty shops around. The nearest one would be in Tampa (about 2 hours from Ft. Myers) or on the other coast. It is also extremely hard to find a good teachers that has any openings.

I hope you teacher enjoys the sunshine and beach.

Thanks for responding bcp. He was wondering whether to take his fiddle with him or look for a new one there. I guess you have provided the answer. Maybe his second best fiddle just in case he has trouble with the airlines.

Here in Gainesville-only a few short hours away-there are two excellent luthiers. Scott Jackson (who has one of the best noses for finding and restoring instruments I've ever seen) and Jan van Rooyen http://www.gainesvilleviolins.com who has done two major repairs on my violin (I was his first job in this country).

Jan has pretty big selection of instruments in the $500-$5,000 range for sale.

Scotty ranges all over the place. You just need to catch him on a good day.

The best bow-maker I know is David Forbes. I play two of his bows, and I've only played two or three bows that I liked more (and I've played some nice bows). If you're in the market for a nice ($3,000 nice) bow, or you just want to meet a great guy, I recommend stopping by his shop if you're going to be in town.

The last guy I can recommend is a man known to be only by Oleg... some connection with the Florida Orchestra in Tampa. He did a major repair on my instrument beautifully, cheaply, and quickly.

quote:

Originally posted by Lymond:

The best bow-maker I know is David Forbes. I play two of his bows, and I've only played two or three bows that I liked more (and I've played some nice bows). If you're in the market for a nice ($3,000 nice) bow, or you just want to meet a great guy, I recommend stopping by his shop if you're going to be in town.

David Forbes has rehaired and done work on my bows. He is a real gentleman and as far as I am concerned God's gift to bowmaking. I would never hesitate to have him work on my bows or buy one from him. A million blessings on him.

Don Crandall

Plant City is much closer than Gainesville. It's Northeast of Fort Meyers, about 10-15 mins. from I75 and I4 intersection. If he doesn't want to travel that far, he should check out Royce Burt in Plant city.

Royce restores violins (and is also an amazing Banjo player for his Southern Bluegrass band). Besides also playing the fiddle, he appears to really enjoy restoring them. He has several that he sells. He was recommended to me by someone on the Board. I had him fit a bridge and replace strings. He did an awesome job and was very reasonable. I'm going to buy my next fiddle from him.

The best part is, he's just a good ole country boy who has an evident love for the fiddle. I think his customers just enjoy their visits with him. You gotta check him out: Burtville@email.msn.com

KP

To resurrect an old thread... anyone have updates on violin restorers and/or good violin shops in Florida? Sad to say, Scotty has passed away (anyone continuing his legacy?) and Jan over at GVille Violins is now retired- a Paul and his sister Adrianna are now owners of that shop. seems like all new stuff listed on the website. Not sure??

Anyone here know some FL options for old violins? 

(I’ve been looking for an old violin with a dark/warm, clear, balanced voiced violin for traditional folk and/or church music... ). 

18 hours ago, Kwendt said:

To resurrect an old thread... anyone have updates on violin restorers and/or good violin shops in Florida? Sad to say, Scotty has passed away (anyone continuing his legacy?) and Jan over at GVille Violins is now retired- a Paul and his sister Adrianna are now owners of that shop. seems like all new stuff listed on the website. Not sure??

Anyone here know some FL options for old violins? 

(I’ve been looking for an old violin with a dark/warm, clear, balanced voiced violin for traditional folk and/or church music... ). 

Well... it's been 17 years since I first posted on this thread.

Scotty died, it's true and sad, and Jan and Anna moved to Oregon.  Gainesville is currently without a luthier.  (Gainesville violins is in Ft. White now.  They have all of Jan's old inventory of unrestored instruments, so if you want something "old" you could still check with them).

David Forbes is still in town making violin, viola, cello, and bass bows (though not at the old price I quoted) and the occasional violin adjustment.

I bought my violin from Violin Shop Tampa/Sarasota which had an outstanding selection in my price range.

Muni Strings is run by an old friend, Daniel Muni.  I follow @theviolarabbi (Yaniv Cohen) on instagram, he seems to deal in antique instruments.  A student of mine just had an adjustment done by DaVid Pineda-Huezo who is well regarded by musicians in the Jacksonville Symphony and is a luthier for the Sarasota Music Festival.

Florida has many more options now than we did 17 years ago.  Hooray!

Thanks, Stephen, for the answer. I’ll google those names, see if any are closer to me. I’m in the east coast West Palm/jupiter region. 

I appreciate the help. 

And KP, (KeePfiddlin), if you are still around... thanks for the note on Royce Burt, he’s still doing work and some of his youtube things seem fantastic for traditional or bluegrass music. Maybe he’ll have something that will work for Celtic Iona style.... 

I’m going to contact him, see if he’d mind working with a newbie. He’s only 3 hours away from me. 

Side note: I’ve been lurking around the MN forums for a while, but didn’t join until this week. I read to learn - not wanting to post. The depth of knowledge here is amazing. Just want to say...Thank you. 

Hi Martin, that was my attempt to name/describe a sort of regional music, for which I don’t know the proper term. There is a modern Celtic group called Iona (and an island, community too of course). 

Im guessing it’s considered anything from traditional folk to new Irish? (If there is such a thing).  I just looked them up on Wikipedia, which called them Progressive Celtic rock.The Iona band used modern band instruments, plus stringed instruments, uilleann pipes, low whistles, violin. Clannad and Eden’s bridge are others I think of, less punk/progressive. EB used sittern, whistles, bodhran, u pipes, woodwinds, guitars, mandys, and I don’t know what all else. 

Regarding violins: I’m very new, so please excuse my ineptitude.

I am a church musician and we have started doing an occasional ‘Celtic’ sort of worship nights. The style or tone I’m looking for I think is dark, earthy at times, then sweet and soaring at times. Clear, maybe bell like... but not strident. Perhaps something that evokes ‘mystery’ and or ‘Haunting etherealness’ if that makes any sense at all. 

Of course I realize that an instrument played by one person can sound horrible, but in the hands of someone else, can be All together beautiful. 

At the moment I spend a lot of time listening to violins being played, trying to educate my ear as it were.

As always, any correction, advise, Insights, questions are invited. I’m so new, I don’t wish to put myself forward. I am content to browse the forums learning thru everyone’s comments to others. 

thank you. 

I don’t know if he is still around, he was old in 1986, but you might try Saul Cornell, who was in Kissimmee I believe. I actually have no idea how far that is from Fort Myers, but in Texas everything is far from everything else and we just get used to it.

He was a dear man and knew his stuff, and he is certainly at least worth looking up.