Maestronet Forums

Phantom's Stravinsky!!!

Bobby

Artur Schnabel once did the following in front of a group of students: first he played a flashy Liszt passage, after which he commented, "That is easy". Then he played a technically simple but musically profound passage from a Beethoven adagio, and said, "That is hard". And how much truer still this is on stringed instruments, where the player is fully responsible for tone production and intonation!

I think the debate between what is harder is stupid. Can't we all accept the fact that. VIOLIN IS HARD. Fast songs are hard, slow songs are hard, meduim-tempo songs are hard. I think you guys should stop having freaking competition and just enjoy the fact that you are having fun and success with the violin.

aaron

quote:

Originally posted by aamtnbike:

VIOLIN IS HARD.

aaron

I'll second that vote, but to continue the "debate," what I'm reading is that slow passages are far less forgiving of errors in intonation and tone production to the listener's ear than are rapid passages.

Personally, I'll take slow any day because I'm too OLD to make my fingers fly beyond a certain tempo, but I can toss emotion into a piece all day long. I think that's something that comes with age, though I've no doubt I'll be disputed on that opinion.

quote:

Originally posted by phantom:

Gray, HKV has been banned from the Maestronet. The management informed me of this.

Gee, who can we pick on now laugh.giflaugh.gif

But seriously, Folks! It's actually a shame. I've no doubt Kevin has/had a lot to offer in the way of information and advice, but when one needs a shovel to get past the wall of bovine feces and an oxygen tank to ascend to the heights of his self-constructed pedestal in order to take advantage of it? Well, have a nice life, HKV! And thank God that Andy Victor is still here to share his sound, even-tempered, mature wisdom!

[This message has been edited by Gray Violiner (edited 03-28-2002).]

quote:

Originally posted by phantom:

Gray, HKV has been banned from the Maestronet. The management informed me of this.

phantom, are you at liberty to divulge what straw broke the camel's back?

It was kind of sad to watch someone with so much talent and energy struggle with such internal demons.

I think one of the best quotes I've ever read about playing fast came from lwl,

"fingers like lightning, never strike same place twice",

which succintly states the problems of playing fast.

quote:

Originally posted by Cedar:

phantom, are you at liberty to divulge what straw broke the camel's back?

I will not say much. It is difficult to watch the talent being wasted, But you cannot Physically threaten people in a violin forum. I wish the guy luck, and sincerely hope he gets some help with his problems.

Stewart, you missed the post because it was quickly deleted, but Phantom's description is accurate. Moreover, it was by no means the first of its kind from that source- there were similar incidents directed against others in the past. Beyond that, I see no use in further rehashing of this ugliness- let's all move on now. I only hope that Phantom will be back- if not he'll be missed.

quote:

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun:

If it's so easy to play fast stuff, then let's hear some Bazzini from David and you guys.

nobody intended to say that fast was easy, it is just a little harder to pour emotion into a slower piece, in a slow piece people are hanging on what you do, and in a fast piece there is not as much heartfelt emotion. Don't get so offended, the world is not out to get you.

It can't be so easy to play fast stuff. I think that some here are just expressing their opinion. HKV, do you think that it is easier to play slow passages? To me, offers the opportunity for listeners to miss inflections, but playing slow music is like standing there naked - you had better be good or forget it.