Maestronet Forums

HKV re: pinhead bow

Eclectic Lady

HKV,

I've noticed that you've mentioned you have a pinhead bow. Was/is this a type of repair?

I just received an ebay bow that turned out to be a mess. I almost threw it in the trash today. Then I stopped to think that someone must have thought a lot of it to connect the head back on with a strip of sterling silver and some very tiny pins. Once I cleaned the silver it looks as though a jeweler could have done it.

The bow is octagonal and black. The frog has an ivory bow screw. I took it to a dealer and repair person today who made comments about it being a nice wall ornament (I'm really beginning to dislike going to shops).

I'm thinking of trying to do some of the work myself.

Is my thinking in line that it must be or have been special to someone to undertake that manner of repair?

quote:

Originally posted by Eclectic Lady:

The bow is octagonal and black. The frog has an ivory bow screw. I took it to a dealer and repair person today who made comments about it being a nice wall ornament (I'm really beginning to dislike going to shops).

I'm thinking of trying to do some of the work myself.

Is my thinking in line that it must be or have been special to someone to undertake that manner of repair?

If you buy junk on eBay that is in terrible condition, you shouldn't be too critical of the shop that recognizes it as such.

Also, if you make the assumption that only an expensive bow (or anything) would be worthy of the care and attention someone has obviously spent, you will find yourself open to the world's worthless junk dealers, and will probably waste a lot of money. People who sell a lot of worthless things depend on your hopes and dreams that you will be discovering hidden treasures that they didn't know the worth of.

[This message has been edited by Jonathan Rubin (edited 03-26-2002).]

HKV accepted a bow with a pinned head because it is a Sartory that plays beautifully. Such a bow's playability is not affected by the repair, but the resale price drops drastically. I'm sure he can tell you more about it.

It sounds like someone used an inappropriate method to repair the head of your bow, but that's not important. If it's strong enough and the bow plays well, that's all you need to know. (I personally wouldn't buy another bow on eBay, because, unlike a violin, there isn't much that can be done to change it for the better.)

Mark_W

Jonathan,

Never once did I mention finding a bow that is worth 50K for the amount I paid. I went to the shop to see about the possibility of fixing it. I began to think that if someone thought enough of it to go through all of that trouble then it might draw a sweet sound despite it's looks. I was dismissed because I did not have a bow they thought worth their time. In the museum world people bring me Victorian treasures all of the time that have a real-world value of $25-$30.00.

I always remember that they drove to see me and are holding item(s) in their hands that have value to them. I treat them accordingly.

Also, the seller didn't state, 'Hey folks, this bow is a mess but the right person just might be able to bring it back to life.' The auction read,'Antique bow in nice condition.'That's ebay, caveat emptor and another subject.

Mark_W and HKV,

That makes sense. I've learned something new about different types of repairs. Thank you. I will see what I can do with it. It will be very interesting trying to rehair it under that silver head band smile.gif after the frog is fixed.

Looking for love in all the wrong places.... laugh.gif Whew, nice to smile again.