Maestronet Forums

Dorothy DeLay has passed

Berger1867

quote:

Originally posted by stewarts:

How old is she?

Does she have a prime successor as the chief pedagogue of the Galamian school, or it's all over the country, if not the world already?

Oh that's so sad. I heard she was such a sweet lady...uncomprimising but very sweet. My prof. always told me she made you feel good about yourself as a musician.

I'm glad she is no longer having to fight illness and old age.

roman

How very sad. Her studio was right next to my teachers at Juilliard. I frequently saw her going into or coming out of her studio though I did not ever share a word with her. She was a very large woman, and I had heard that she had many health challenges, Her students loved her, though perhaps not with the same cultish fervor as Galamian students -perhaps because she treated her students more as people whereas Galamian was more of a totalitarian, and those that bought into his methods were more likely to put him on a pedestal.

Who is her heir apparrant?

She doesn't really have any heir apparents... but since a final masterclass in early winter, she allowed many of her ex-students including Perlman to teach her current students. I understand she was sick with cancer for a long while. It's very sad that she's gone... she was clearly a vibrant teacher and personality.

The more I read and hear about her passing, the more I learn about her and the greater my sadness becomes. She seemed to have such a warm and nurturing personality. Many of my friends have studied with her and it was always my dream to study with her for a while as well. I was accepted into her studio at the Aspen School last summer, but didn't attend knowing that she was in hospital. That was the closest I got.

I feel the same heaviness of heart as when Lord Menuhin (sp?) died. Such advocators of young musicians were such a treasure to society and sadly are often only fully appreciated when they are gone.

roman

Dorothy DeLay's legacy lives in on her students - most of whom could probably be considered worthy of "successor" potential.

If anybody could be called her "successor", I'd imagine it would be the great Itzhak Perlman. He's now a Juilliard faculty member, and he even played "Mrs. DeLay" at a humorous presentation at one of her birthday bashes.

Fortunately, Mrs. DeLay was very well-appreciated by her lifetime. Students paid her the highest tribute imagineable - they chose to learn violin from her! It's good to see people recognizing her for all the effort and work she put in toward furthering interest in the art of the violin.

Dorothy DeLay's legacy was that she was capable of changing a person's life for the better. This lives on in her students, of whom there are very many great players to listen to and study with.