Sign in to follow this  
lzaikoski

Playing tips for a tune

I play a D, not a C#, on the A string. That is how most people I know play it, and it lets you put your third finger down on both the high A and the D at the same time for speed. Try it that way.

One of my favorite tunes is 'The Maid Behind the Bar' but I've always got a problem with the second measure of the B-part.

The first two measures go:

|| F# G A G F# D D E | F# D A D F# D D | E F# G ...

The part that coninually slows me down is that F# D A D F# D D.

I try leaving my first finger down on the E and switch my third from the A to E. And, I've also tried just stopping both the A and the E at the same time with my third but that always comes out sounding muddy and it doesn't 'feel' quite right.

It comes out OK when I play slowly, but I haven't been able to bring the speed anywhere near what I can play the rest of the tune....

Do any of you fiddlers out there play this tune? How do you play it? Or, am I on the right track and I just need to practice it slowly until I get it?

Len

[This message has been edited by lzaikoski (edited 03-20-2002).]

quote:

Originally posted by Fiddle Girl:

I play a D, not a C#, on the A string. That is how most people I know play it, and it lets you put your third finger down on both the high A and the D at the same time for speed. Try it that way.

I don't know what I was thinking about when I was writing it the first time, it IS supposed to be alternating between the D (third finger on A) and the A (third finger on E) ... I edited my original message to get it right.

I guess I just need to practice that passage slowly until it clicks....

Thanks,

Len