Maestronet Forums

Big Problem - A bow, a crack, not mine... Read please.

paganiniboy

My white-haired Russian teacher once told me an interesting story: He lent a student a good old French violin, and the student had a bike accident with the violin on his shoulder. When he opened the case to show my teacher and took out the velvet bag, the violin inside was in pieces. So the student was crying to my teacher, and my teacher asked him "Why are you crying? Were you hurt?" He said no. My teacher said, "Then why are you crying?" and he laughed.

The violin was repaired to original condition, I heard. smile.gif

Stewart

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was by HKV on that Sunday evening, and slept in his main room till the morning, he discovered in the morning that his violin had a nice crack in it.

The night before, he had been giving me his violin to play without any chin piece or shoulder pad etc. and there was a bit of creaking sound when my chin put pressure on the tailpiece. He said my chin and head should be upward and straight, but that it wasn't the violin itself cracking.

So what was that he discovered in the morning??? He said no, that was not me, it was the other violin!!!

He could have suspected that since I was sleeping that night in the same room as his two precious violins, that I played around with them during the night (Which I certainly did not, but it would be natural to suspect).

But he didn't!

That's also noble character.

But I still think PB should take up his cause very strongly. What is noble is to not get angry or carried away from being too offended. Maybe he could get someone to speak to his teacher.

Even AFTER paying, (IF) he shouldn't leave his teacher in peace (over the affair) for a bit of time.(but without feeling resentful inside!!!).[saying he only paid, for now in order to be able to carry on lessons etc. without losing precious time and life].

Well... I went to bed early last night and thought a lot about what happened. Lets just say I fell asleep in a higher mood than I was in 2 hours earlier. The Point is, I'm okay now, and this morning I'm feeling even better. Not like, "oh thank god it's over" type thing, but, "I did it, and i'm glad I did." (telling him).

the only thing that got me and still gets me is it's going to take me about a month before I can play in front of him again. I feel my violin playing is very personal; i'm not all that Great, but I'm very aware of how I play and I just play personally. So, it took me a while to feel very comforatble playing around him. Thats not a huge problem, I still know him dont I?! smile.gif But ya. Until this happens to you, you comepletely wont understand the very feeling I carry. It's okay now! I'm not complaining, nor whining. So, give me some credit guys! It lasted a day...

None the less, thank you all, very much, for everything you wrote to me. Keeping me high spirits, helpin' me to move on, hope, and the suggestions on what I should (and Did) do.

Patrick.

staylor, I dont think it would be best bringing the subject up with him and I for a while... Whats done is done, and I feel completely responsible, so I should pay for it. It was most definately an accident, so I know the bset thing to do is him pay for the repairs because he could have very well done the exact same thing. But like I said above, until it happens to you, the feeling you have within only matters. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Your teacher just conned you into paying for the damage HE caused, paganiniboy.

staylor might have put pressure on my violin, but that was an old crack that opened in a previously cracked violin. It's MY violin - I'm the one who had been putting pressure on it with MY head for a while.

Besides, it got fixed within the week and I didn't get charged for it anyhow.

PB,

Perhaps this is none of my business, but after reading thru the messages, it occurs to me that:

-- trust is a two-way thing, and if I were you, I would now have a hard time trusting my teacher, which means

- I would consider looking for a new teacher.

Jim

Well, I don't know how you handled the bow (park it near a radiator? drop it?), but if I were you, I'm not so sure I'd trust him anymore. Lending out a possibly defective, uninsured bow to a student and then browbeating him into repairing it?

Regardless of who's at fault here, I'd suggest shopping for a new teacher. Do what you can to put this situation behind you in the classiest way you know how, and then move on.

im almost sure i'm getting ripped off, but... I'm not the type to let it off like that... I had the bow, I was responsible for it.

Scenario: You walk into a glass store, and knock a glass on the floor. You pay for it.

Of course you didnt do it on purpose, BUT you still have to pay for it.

Patrick

Stephen, and alike, ya'll have probably been confuzed and led to think I set it near a radiator.. or dropped it. None of which are true. I was playing and noticed the waning. I sotred the bow in my case 24/7 unless actually practicing.

So thats out of the way...

I've also been thinking of getting a new teacher. What a decision...

Patrick.

thanks guys.

quote:

Originally posted by paganiniboy:

None of which are true. I was playing and noticed the waning. I sotred the bow in my case 24/7 unless actually practicing.

The more sure you are of that, the faster you need to get out of this teaching relationship. This guy sound like a bit of a flake to me.

Patrick,

I honestly think that you're being ripped off and that your teacher's wrong to treat you that way. Unless you're proven otherwise, your teacher should TRUST you, esp. if you've been his student for a long time. And if you offered to pay for the repairs cuz you felt responsible, then he should also tell you he'll take care of it.

I think you should get a new teacher. I don't think you'll be able to learn much from a person who does not trust you and with whom you do not feel comfortable. When I did really well in a class or anything, that's all because I was learning from someone I absolutely adored and someone who also trusted me and liked me genuinely.

JMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by paganiniboy:

im almost sure i'm getting ripped off, but... I'm not the type to let it off like that... I had the bow, I was responsible for it.

Scenario: You walk into a glass store, and knock a glass on the floor. You pay for it.

Of course you didnt do it on purpose, BUT you still have to pay for it.

Patrick

And if you want to know how to use your time meanwhile, you might like to go through as much as possible of Kreutzer on your own. You wouldn't have wasted one momment of that in between time.

I'm not saying now, necesarily, but about any in between time.

It could make a great difference, as I seem to be finding out now.

As an example, one can first do 2 a day (=21 days, thought not every single day necesarily)[just sight reading slowly and thoughtfully] Then second time around, one a day, and third time, 2 per week.

quote:

Originally posted by staylor:

And if you want to know how to use your time meanwhile, you might like to go through as much as possible of Kreutzer on your own. You wouldn't have wasted one momment of that in between time.

I'm not saying now, necesarily, but about any in between time.

It could make a great difference, as I seem to be finding out now.

As an example, one can first do 2 a day (=21 days, thought not every single day necesarily)[just sight reading slowly and thoughtfully] Then second time around, one a day, and third time, 2 per week.

Hahaha sorry, but that's a really funny solution.

I'm always sad to hear of a situation like this, that destroys a valuable relationship--but these things do happen. I've seen bows fail right out of the box due to a spontaneous separation of the short grain in the head.

It's your call whether you need to pay for it, but I agree that a new teacher is in order. Relationships end abruptly sometimes, and it's frequently no one's fault.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Mark_W

Well, I've told him, many times, about Mastronet, and it's come up many times in our conversations, inluding the first suggestions people gave me on what to do w/ the bow when it first happened. But, he really has no interested in what other people have to say, at least thats why I see...

P

I think i'm just going to stop practicing with him and get another teacher. It's just so difficult now...