Maestronet Forums

Big Problem - A bow, a crack, not mine... Read please.

paganiniboy

So, my teacher lent me one of his student bows, around 700 Canadian, for my audition as my bow now sucks...

He's on March Break vacation... I'm doing my audition for university...

While playing today I noticed a like waning to the left... "Why does it keep doing that!?" Closer inspection: real big bend in the center; closer inspection: the wood has split.

I called my violin luthier, I asked him if he could repair it. He said, try and bring it in, i'll give you the price of repair on the spot...

"Like hel i'm paying for that if he charges!" so my dad says. What do I do? I didnt do it, but there is no way of saying.

I left a message on my teachers voice mail.. "I'm so glad to be home..." not...

He'll never trust me again! I dont have money to get it fixed!

What do I do?

Patrick.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a similar problem. My teacher leant me a really fine 100 year old german bass bow...I left it at the concert site and didn't realise it for 2 days afterwards! Luckily, I drove back over and the bow as still laying there right on the stand...The door to the theatre had been open all weekend too! The bow was worth about 4,000 so I was terrified! I actually didn't tell my teacher about it and I returned hte bow the next day so I could never do something like that again.

Just tell the teacher...He might even know about it allready. If you just tell him that you honestly didn't break it, than he should believe you.

quote:

Just tell the teacher...He might even know about it already. If you just tell him that you honestly didn't break it, than he should believe you.

I'd second that advice. As a teacher, that is what I'd want my student to do. In the meantime, what are you going to do about a bow for your audition? As I am currently trying some out, I'd recommend you getting in touch with a Codabow dealer and trying one of them (either the Classic [has more powerful, focused sound] or Conservatory model - both can do off-string bowings easily). I've been very impressed with them, and the Codabow people are very big on giving you a 14-day trial period (and some dealers are even more generous than that). I've tried all three models, and think that the good ones outperform wood bows in a similar price range (and there ARE differences between bows of the same model, despite the fact that they're carbon fiber and not wood). They're also unlikely to have any flaws that you could be charged with having caused, so you wouldn't be risking anything. Since your current bow "sucks", even if you don't immediately decide to buy a Codabow, you'll have some useful information for when you DO make the necessary move away from the sucky bow, so you're not really being dishonest.

Tell your teacher. If you can't pay for the repair, well that's just the way it is. Most likely your teacher will believe that you did nothing wrong with the bow, and chalk it up to bad luck, and be understanding about your dependance on your parents and their unwillingness to pay for the repair. He may have access to inexpensive repair options. A cracked stick is a bad thing, but functionality can be restored by a good hide glue repair.

Well, about the warp thing, HKV, I doubt he would have seriously looked at it every so oftfen. He's got a million bows, and only uses his nicer ones, and lends his student(s) ones out, like to me.

About the bow, could it be fully restored? How is it going to sound if what the luthier can do will work? I'm so freaked about this. I wont take it after all, the bow to the repair. I just wanted to see how much it would cost... I feel so horrible. I have no money, I need to get ACCEPTED at a job and then I can pay him back or something. My best friend, however, told me I could borrow money from her. How much do you think it would be? Like, 100 maybe? God, i'm like crappin' myself thinking of the whole thing. I havn't been 'scared' or stressed like this since I was like 13...

:/

Patrick

Patrick,

You need to CALM DOWN!!! If your teacher has a million bows, and is a decent human being, he will not flip out over this. Just be honest and regretful. It is amazing how kind and humane people can be, and usually are. Offer to pay for it, but say it will take some time. He may well say to forget it, especially since he never uses the bow.

Good luck!! John

Ditto what everyone else said... be honest and tell your teacher what happened. I wouldn't have it repaired without his knowledge because he'll probably want to have it repaired by the same person who works on his other instruments. It could very well be insured, too. All of ours are.

Just talk to your teacher first.

I don't care how many bows he has - I still wouldn't give a student a warped bow for such an important audition. Nor would I have allowed it to warp so badly to begin with even it it was a $45 little throwaway bow.

If I were you teacher, I'd have LOOKED at the bow first before pawning it off on you. And if anything happened to it, I sure wouldn't want my student taking it to a luthier that I didn't know about or trust!

If your teacher puts it on you, that's not right. A warp takes a long time to happen, and a break is not something that just happens the instant a bow is lent out. In fact, I'd raise a STINK if the teacher tried to bilk me monetarily to pay for the problem that HE caused.

We'll see if a stink needs to be raised or not.

HKV, is it so clear that the bow was warped? I don't think so. The description sounds like the bow became curved because of the crack, and the crack could well have opened up all at once, in fact it is most likely that that is what happened. A crack reaches a point when it 'goes catastrophic' the next time it's stressed. No one, I am sure, checks their bow's sticks for cracks every time they take it out.

If the bow's insured the insurance will cover the cost of the repairs. Or if the cost of the repairs is more than the bow is worth, I imagine they'll just pay out the insurance value on the bow. It's a lot like having car insurance that way. Just be thankful it's only a $700 bow. Relatively speaking, that isn't much. It's not like having a cracked Sartory to deal with. smile.gif

My husband dropped a violin once (he slipped in the rain on the way to a rehearsal and the case went flying out of his hand) and our insurance covered everything. It's definitely money well spent if you have any kind of valuable instruments.

~Erika

[This message has been edited by palermo (edited 03-15-2002).]

So far, this has been the most helpful reply. Not only does it reasure me, and give me hope, It helps me to understand things clearer. I think what people need in a situation like this is back up, confidence. I lacked it, and Andres has given me what I need.

I thank you,

Patrick

quote:

Originally posted by Andres Sender:

HKV, is it so clear that the bow was warped? I don't think so. The description sounds like the bow became curved because of the crack, and the crack could well have opened up all at once, in fact it is most likely that that is what happened. A crack reaches a point when it 'goes catastrophic' the next time it's stressed. No one, I am sure, checks their bow's sticks for cracks every time they take it out.

Hi Patrick,

If I were you, I'd honestly explain to the teacher what happened and what he/she would like you to do. I doubt the teacher will get mad at you or think that you did it, at least if the teacher is a decent human being and trusts you (Hope you haven't done anything in the past to violate the trust).

SK

paganiniboy, I'm not blaming YOU for what happened to this bow.

Rather, it's your teacher that I'm holding accountable here.

What Andres Sender is telling you is true. On the other hand, your teacher STILL should've been able to recognize the warning signs.

I've never had a perfectly adjusted bow suddenly go BOOM on me. I've had bows break on me, but usually they or I were defective to begin with.

Now that I have a great bow restorer to go with my great luthier, I am having minute readjustments made to my bow regularly every time I go in for a rehair.

Folks like those ensure that small problems don't become LARGE problems.

HKV,

I dont believe he's broken any other bows before, so this is new to him. Ive asked him before what, in his time, has happened to his insturments or bows, and bows were never mentioned when he spoke about incidents. That only makes me believe it's never happened before, which would point to the fact that he doesn't look at the bows all the time.

When he said "i'll bring you a bow for you to use while you do the audition CD...", it took him a day to drive it over to me, which meant it was stashed away somewhere, along w/ however many other bows he had had.

Either it was just some freak accident -i'm hoping... Or it had been bent before, and while playing Mozart 5 I noticed it bending funnily... I dont know.

It really all depends on when he comes back into town and we speak about it. Hopefully everything will turn out okay.

Patrick.

A teacher lent me a German bow once( out of the old Lyon&Healy shop). I dropped it, and a 1 millimeter piece of ebony broke off from the edge of the heel. I kept the fragment of ebony.This could have easily been fixed to be near invisible, and was a minor chip anyhow. My teacher saw the unrepaired nick before I could tell him about it.He aggressively bullied me into buying the bow from him for a retail price that gave him a profit of %100. I was forced to borrow funds for this, and wasn't fully aware I had been treated unfairly for some years. I hope your teacher treats you more fairly; no doubt the advice of friendly people here makes you far better prepared than I was.

Well... I finally had my lessons and told him... Showed him rather. He was visibly shaken and upset about it, but not angry whatsoever... A good thing. But, what made it real bad was I know and could see in his eyes when he looked at me (well, when he didn't look at me in the eyes for the first time i've known him), that I lost his trust... That hurts the most.

I have to pay for the costs, but I dont know how much that will be, so he'll email me.

The costs, well, since I dont have money, i'll have to borrow my friends, however much she'll lend to me, then try and get HIRED by a job, because nothing is available around me... Anyway, well anything is fine as long as I can pay him back as soon as possible...

Patrick...

p.s. I never thought I could get so hurt by this... Wish me luck, I suppose.

quote:

I was hoping it would turn out a lot better than this for you.

Sorry to hear this, Paganini. I too, was hoping it would turn out a lot better. Still, you did the right thing, and you are acting honorably about the situation -- that says a LOT about your character, and character is priceless (and a lot of people don't have it).