Maestronet Forums

Just got my Shar Super-Light SL200 Case.

Pennstater

And it's going back. It's a $300 case and to me, it looked "cheap". Sure it's light, but the fabric of the cover is very flimsy IMO. The strap is very narrow and found it hard to carry. The hinges are plastic. The interior is so-so. My 6-yr old Heritage Challenger case has a better interior and more heavy duty fabric cover. I know the goal is to keep the weight down, but I think they have sacrificed durability in designing this case. I am going to exchange it for the GEWA Strato-lite. One thing I have to give SHAR a LOT of praise is their custmer service. My call to return it was answered within 10 secs. The customer rep politely listened and proceeded to process the return and get the exchange item to be shipped the following day. Even though I was disappointed with the sl200 case, Shar's business ethic will make me a very loyal customer.

Then i guess you will have a double edge sword situation. You either have a case that is heavy with good protection, or a case that is light with bad protection.

I don't think there is any other way, I may be wrong. good luck with your search

quote:

Originally posted by Pennstater:

The reason that I tried the SL200 is because I wanted a case that's under 5 lbs.

I bought a case about six months ago, and I absolutely love it. It's a Bobelock 1017 Hillstyle. It's not a light. I toyed with that, too, for a long time, and had one previously that I was unhappy with.

So, they came on sale at www.johnsonstrings.com , I think it was about $240 and I took the plunge. It has 3 interior compartments and lots of extras. I love it.

I bought a crescent shaped case when I got another fiddle. They are light foam and not a real high quality case but they are small and handy. The light foam cases may protect a violin just as well but they don’t give you a feeling of security. I prefer the heavy kind with lots of space for music, note paper, pencils, a tuner, a metronome , rosin, extra strings, a cleaning cloth, peg dope, an extra pair of glasses, assorted candy bars and snacks and, oh yes, a violin.

Seven pounds is too heavy and yet FIVE pounds is O.K.?!? Get real. Jr. High girls routinely carry backpacks all day that weigh multiple times this.

I can't understand all of this sniveling over a couple of extra pounds. Just buy a case that has the features and quality you desire and stop worrying about the extra 32 miniscule little ounces.

Rat

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffie:

7 pounds for your case crystal?!

ugh....too heavy for me

The weight is almost a non-issue. You're talking about a matter of a couple of pounds difference, for alot more protection.

I used to play guitar though, so the weight is nothing to me. Lug around a guitar, cello, or bass and even the heaviest violin case won't seem like much!

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Rat:

Jr. High
girls
routinely carry backpacks all day that weigh multiple times this.

Rat

Exactly. That's why people want to get lightweight cases. When you have to carry a backpack AND a violin...at the end of the day it really kills the shoulders. I know because I am small (5'2"), but my backpack/books/violin don't weight any lighter than anyone else's.

Victoria

I have very weak shoulders for a 20 year old.

Right now I walk to school everyday and I can only carry 2 to 3 books max. My shoulders really cannot take the strain. I tried the American passport case which is listed as 6.5 pounds ( i may be wrong) and it is too heavy for me

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Rat:

Seven pounds is too heavy and yet FIVE pounds is O.K.?!?

my old protec case (with awesome tweed exterior and burgundy velvet interior) was something like 12 or 13 pounds...it was ridiculous to carry around...the only reason i stopped using it is cause the zipper on themusic part kept breaking. my case now is a Heritage which is nowhere near light...but compared to my backpack its a pleasant change. my violin case is a featherweight...people wonder if there is a violin in there when i pick it up, i swear the violin weighs more. hehe. i have a double case that weighs about 2 pounds more than the heritage viola case i have, not bad for a double at all.

I saw someone above had recommended musafia. Don't let the price list be a deterent. If you are somewhat patient you can watch the sight for demo or reconditioned cases. They have an excellant warranty. I saved up and bought my very first case from them--a demo, never used and less expensive than most of the cheap ones I'd seen elsewhere. It is beautiful (but too heavy for some who have replied). I don't have to do all of the walking that many do so I went for looks and protection. I'm very happy with the case, as well as the customer service.

Wow, I wish us bassoonists had the luxury of a light-weight ANYTHING!

Our instrument alone weighs about 9 pounds, add another 7 for the case and anothe 5 for "stuff" and its no wonder so many of us are short! Too bad was aren't all skinny from carrying all that weight.

It's a treat to carry my violin since it only weighs a total of 9 pounds! I learned from experience that the security of the case is what counts, not the weight. If you need to, get a rolling luggage rack to tote it around. Saves the back.

Ava

My son has a BAM Trekker viola case. I bought it for him to take to camp since it can be used backpack style and it has a fold out waterproof rain covering. He likes it. It seems to me to be a bit bulky but it does have a useful expanding outside compartment that is good to carry extra things. My son used it for his bathing suit and towel. There is not a lot of extra room inside but his collapsing should rest and some other things do fit.

quote:

Originally posted by little bit country:

I saw someone above had recommended musafia. Don't let the price list be a deterent. If you are somewhat patient you can watch the sight for demo or reconditioned cases. They have an excellant warranty. I saved up and bought my very first case from them--a demo, never used and less expensive than most of the cheap ones I'd seen elsewhere. It is beautiful (but too heavy for some who have replied). I don't have to do all of the walking that many do so I went for looks and protection. I'm very happy with the case, as well as the customer service.

Granted, mine is a custom case....but I LOVE IT!!!!! I can't say enough good things about Mr. Musafia and his staff. Not only is it a FANTASTIC case, Dimitri is so nice and polite. If I ever need another case again, (Not to replace this one of course...) It will definately be a Musafia. The best investment for my instrument that I have ever made.

Christy

Here is a link to my case, btw....it is the second one down. http://www.musafia.com/custom.html

Try carrying a cello! The lightest cases are about 11 pounds, but if you have a larger cello (e.g., Montagnana model or similar) the cello won't fit. I had to get a Bobelock plywood case for my new cello -- I believe it's 15 or 16 pounds just for the case; with the cello, probably at least 25 awkward pounds. (I didn't want to spend 3 times as much for a case a few pounds lighter -- would have gotten into spending as much on a case as on the cello!) My Bobelock viola case is only 5 pounds -- feels like a feather compared with the cello.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffie:

I have very weak shoulders for a 20 year old.

Right now I walk to school everyday and I can only carry 2 to 3 books max. My shoulders really cannot take the strain. I tried the American passport case which is listed as 6.5 pounds ( i may be wrong) and it is too heavy for me

If you have an injury then don't carry products like everyone else! There are back packs on WHEELS along with Luggage carts that can hold a rectangle violin case and book pack!! I have used my cart for this when I dislocated my shoulder. My cart is over 10yrs old, the new ones are even better!

By the way I have a Musafia!! They have a section to buy used, seconds and displays! The safety for my violin is worth any weight and money!