Maestronet Forums

?'s about practice

lilangel

Hi lilangel, how long have you been playing? What does your teacher assign?

I usually start my practice warming up with some long bows and vibrato exercises. Then I work on scales, shifting exercises and etudes.

After that I practice my orchestra music, since I play professionally. If I time after that I work on a solo,

The amount varies. Today I threw out all the usual practice routine and played all day. I had so much fun. I've been asked to do some strolling gypsy songs for the symphony donors at a reception. I used to stroll a lot about 20 years ago but haven't done much since so I was brushing up on the old tunes. I was having so much fun I didn't want to stop.

On a normal day my practice varies between about 1 1/2 and 4 hours.

I usually practice about 5-7 hours a day, but with orchestra, quartet and lessons, it nevers seems like enough time! frown.gif

Scales and arpeggios should be a large part of your practice, also played thirds, sixths and octaves, if at all possible. They are the most effective way to improve intonation and technical facility. I really like the Carl Flesch scale book because it utilizes different rhythms, bowings and fingerings for scales. (Scales done well impress ANY teacher!)

I also like the Shradieck method for strengthening fingers and becoming really familiar with the positions on your instrument. Shradieck can be very difficult on your finger muscles, so it is best to utilize it in moderation or you could really injure yourself.

I also practice etudes, but they will differ from the violin repertoire.

Bach is always great, as well!

VG