Maestronet Forums

Can we start a new soundclip thread?

HuangKaiVun

I haven't tried this myself, but there is a website that is geared for musician. You can upload your mp3s and even put up a profile of yourself. I believe it's free.

www.iuma.com

It called the Internet Underground Music

Archive.

If you do give it a try I'm sure everyone would love to see your site and hear your music.

Hope this helped.

TrueBeginner

Our host volunteered space at one point. A day job is the curse of the fiddling class and lwl is no exception. I like her rules, particularly the idea of short clips.

Someone would have to volunteer not only the space but coding and time to make it work. Muon doesn’t have the time. Neither does Lwl. Ideally the coding would take care of showing names, the dates recorded and posted, automatically eliminate out of date clips and enforce a time/size limit on clips by refusing to accept big clips. Then comes the problem of censorship so I can’t post songs with naughty lyrics or copyrighted stuff from commercial recordings.

Unless there is a volunteer with a lot of time, you are probably better off looking for your own space so you can put up what you please and share it by posting the url.

Hey HKV, you have to upload any mp3's onto the site. You can do this in either of two ways. Some of these sites have instructions on how to upload right on the page...usually it'll be a button that you click to select the file from the computer and then tell it to upload. If there is no such option, then you have to upload it yourself using an FTP server. I suggest www.download.com to get a free FTP server...I recommend CuteFTP or Leech. Both are free. You install and run the program, and select the file you want to upload, and tell it to upload to your site. (Instructions will be given in the program)

Hey all, I am willing to build / maintain / update this site if you want. I have considerable experience with building / maintaining web sites. I should also have the time to dedicate myself to this. If you want me to do this, I'll be glad to, just let me know. Thanks all.

I don't have a microphone here at home, but when I go back to school, I too will post some sound clips.

quote:

Originally posted by HVS:

Hey HKV, you have to upload any mp3's onto the site. You can do this in either of two ways. Some of these sites have instructions on how to upload right on the page...usually it'll be a button that you click to select the file from the computer and then tell it to upload. If there is no such option, then you have to upload it yourself using an FTP server. I suggest
to get a free FTP server...I recommend CuteFTP or Leech. Both are free. You install and run the program, and select the file you want to upload, and tell it to upload to your site. (Instructions will be given in the program)

B]

No, don't get any FTP program if you're using Freewebz - unless you want to pay their premium rate. It's actually easier not to use FTP anyway, if you're not familiar with building web sites. Instead, log in to Freewebz and go to the "File Manager" section in the menu. Then click on "Upload a file". Browse for the mp3 file on your computer and give it a filename. Then click "Submit". Your file will then be uploaded, and you can link to it. I'm not sure if you'll be able to link to the mp3 directly from here, though - Freewebz probably doesn't like that.

Regarding the code for the site - is it to be a form where anyone who wants to submit a soundclip can upload their files as and when they want to, the clip then being added to the database? I'm not sure this would be a good idea, because a) Lots of people have internet connections that are too slow to upload anything over a couple of megabytes, and :) People not connected with the Fingerboard in any way could submit their own clips, which may not be a good idea...

I think the best idea would be to keep the email submissions system, but have a communal site rather than hosting the clips on someone's homepage as lwl has done (no disrespect to lwl, it was a great idea to have soundclips in the first place and she's done a good job of getting them organised). If there was no limit on file size, that would give some people the opportunity to upload longer pieces if they wish.

One other point - as well as the downloadable mp3s, it may be good to have some form of streaming audio format especially for those with modems who can't download whole files very easily - something along the lines of RealAudio of Windows Media.

I have loads of spare time and have experience in designing websites and working with audio files, so if anyone wants to create such a site let me know, I'd be more than willing.

[This message has been edited by natnot (edited 01-03-2002).]

I'm still sitting on some submitted sound clips that I need to edit and post. Time's been a problem for me recently; hopefully life will slow down soon.

Anyway, the problem with a general large MP3 archive for Fingerboard player clips is size. A 1-minute clip at 96 kbps (somewhat below CD-quality, which is 128 kbps) takes up around 800K. This means that a typical five-minute short work is about 4 MB.

Free sites generally give you somewhere from 10 MB to 20 MB of space, plus they generally have a transfer limit that prevents more than a certain number of bytes from being downloaded over a given period of time. So that's somewhere between two and five clips, which you get limited download privileges for. Also, many free sites have specifically implemented measures to prevent users from using them as a "dumping grounds" for large media files like MP3s. So that's not a practical solution.

Writing the *software* to handle this kind of thing is relatively trivial, though some level of human review of uploads is still necessary in order to prevent the site from becoming a general MP3 exchange (and to avoid becoming liable for copyright violations). Of course, free sites don't give you the level of control needed to implement that kind of site. (If someone wants to provide a good site -- plenty of disk space, unlimited bandwidth -- I will be happy to supply the software.)

However, realistically, if you have sound clips that you want to post to the world, you're best off getting your own website (probably a low-end commercial account if you expect a lot of downloads), and putting your clips there, and just posting the URL.

1) We should give everyone access to this (these) freewebz accounts, so everyone can upload their contributions. You'll have to edit a html page (let's say, that site's index.html file) to add in your contribution so it shows up on the website per se. If you don't know how, let the file sit in our account and just tell us through the forum that you've uploaded a file.

2) With freewebz, we have a LOT of space, and we can get even more by creating several accounts. I have no qualms doing this since we're a large group that is going to use this.

3) There shouldn't be any limit to the sound clips. This limit HAS been frustrating in the past in some cases. I say: free for all.

quote:

Originally posted by lwl:

I'm still sitting on some submitted sound clips that I need to edit and post. Time's been a problem for me recently; hopefully life will slow down soon.

Personally,

I think lwl's site is just right...I don't particularily want to sit waiting for a huge file to load. I've got cable, but sometimes the server you download from can be really slow.

However, if people want to submit large mp3's then a site for that would be a great benefit. I hope you don't quit your site lwl, I'm sure some people will still want to submit.

roman

p.s. Either way, I love to hear the other players here on the board.

Really, I don't see the problem with large files. The only type of difference is that you'll be waiting 10 minutes instead of 3. You DON'T have to sit in front of your monitor to complete this download.

Even if it took 4 hours, it would be no problem to leave the computer on all night.

I speak with authority on this subject; I started with a dialup 1200 bps modem back in the early 90's, and would not shy away from 10 megs transfers when they were necessary.

(1 meg = 15 minutes)

[This message has been edited by Mu0n (edited 01-03-2002).]

I like MuOn's idea. If everyone had their own webpage (and 100MB of space!), we could each submit whatever we wanted to - I doubt that many people are going to want to put >100MB of clips online. They could be linked by a central "fingerboard" page, with links to each person's page. And it's not at all difficult to make a simple hmoepage to post your clips on. That would give the added advantage of giving people the chance to post any additional information about themselves and their playing, if they wish to do so.

I'm not a computer whiz, but couldn't sound files be submitted to Maestronet to be played as streaming audio?

Maestronet could get it sponsored (to off-set operating costs and perhaps make a profit)and run a crawl across the bottom of the screen identifying the member and the piece.

exp: member toc.....Fiddler's Dram...traditional...this hour brought to you by Coda Bows.

In addition, these clips could

( theorectically ) be archived in a member library for individual access and downloads.

It seems to me the tech end could easily be handled with an online radio consultant...perhaps hire one from one of the Toronto commercial stations that also webcasts.

Bobbi

roman, I didn't ask lwl to post my Ernst but she did it anyway.

Nor will I ever send another mp3 to her homepage.

natnot, you seem to have the experience to help us.

Can you create a "Maestronet" site where we can just post sound clips without having to worry too much?

I don't see why it would be so bad for nonFingerboarders to post. Music is music, and I'd love to hear all sorts of people.

And I wonder if we could involve Administration on this. That would help.

quote:

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun:

roman, I didn't ask lwl to post my Ernst but she did it anyway.

Better check your facts before accusing me. Quoted from http://fingerboard.maestronet.com/ubb/Foru...TML/008904.html ...

quote:

Originally posted by lwl:

Ugh. Geocities has a data transfer limit that you've run up against.

If someone wants to email me the clip, I'll put it up without a transfer limit.

To which you replied:

quote:

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun:

lwl and MuOn, I'll try to get LKH to send you the sound clip.

Thank you both for helping me.

Certainly looks like you *asked* for it to be posted, doesn't it?

A note on streaming media: Running a server is easy, but the issue is the quality of the media and the storage required to give multiple types of stream qualities depending on the user's connection. The quality available for streaming at dialup speeds is generally unacceptable for string music, for instance. In general, I feel the distortion of tone for encoding formats below 56 kbps is significant, and below 96 kbps it's still noticeable.

The media formats for the Mystery Violinists clips are 32 kbps and 56 kbps MP3s, which I had available for HTTP download, or, when I had it up, a Shoutcast streaming-on-demand server. Personally, I think this is a better technology for large numbers of files being served to users with wildly varying connection speeds -- 32 kbps MP3 file for streaming purposes, and for those who want to download and listen, a 96 kbps MP3 file.

I'm dubious about the probability of the survival of the free Webspace services that don't impose transfer limits and the like that are specifically designed to discourage this kind of project; it's a poor economic model for them, and as we all know now, poor business models mean out-of-business dot-coms. Consequently if a project like this is pursued on a particular free service, steps should be taken to see to it that the archive can be quickly reconstructed in the event the Web provider goes away suddenly.

quote:

Originally posted by ttk:

How much computing power are we talking about ---I got a friend with a server sitting around in his bedroom.

The computing power is trivial. But you need two things that are somewhat non-trivial -- disk space (which is cheap, but you want probably 500 MB to a GB minimum to get started with, which is trivial on a dedicated server but not cheap for commercial hosting on a share platform), and bandwidth (which is not cheap any way you slice it). Figure that for reasonably fast downloads you need a minimum of a 384 kbps *upstream*, and probably want a 768 kbps or, if you can manage it, 1 Mbps+ upstream, so you can handle more than one person on a broadband connection sucking down a file at once without adversely affecting performance. That "upstream" part is important; most broadband Internet connections for consumers (cable modem and consumer DSL) have upstream speeds of only 128 kbps, even though the downstream may be as high as 3 Mbps (in the case of a cable modem).

If the Maestronet administration wanted to do this, the incremental cost would probably be nearly negligible, assuming that the existing site isn't anywhere near to maxing out its available connectivity (and it's not hosted someplace that charges by the gigabyte transferred). They'd get stuck with some administrative overhead making sure the site didn't get used for exchanging pirated MP3 files, though.

Let me know when you get this all figured out. I have an incredibly hard time trying to get my own web page working!

I would however rather use a larger .WAV format than the terrible sounding MP3. The clips that I did send in sound so bad. They sounded halfway descent in the wave format. It would make things nice to keep everuone in one space though. You wouldn't have to go looking around for everyones new stuff.

oh well, post when you computer wizards figure out what will work best.

oh, and I like the present clip site.