Maestronet Forums

How long have you been playin?!?!?!?!?!?

violinprincess

Hey all...started at age 10...now im 18.5..been playing for 8.5 years...each day i love it more and more...but as im getting older, i have less and less time to practice =(..but i do try to practice a few days every week for a few hours each day. I do admit, i dont think i am more passionate about anything else than this outside of my studies.

quote:

Originally posted by HVS:

Hey all...started at age 10...now im 18.5..been playing for 8.5 years...each day i love it more and more...but as im getting older, i have less and less time to practice =(..but i do try to practice a few days every week for a few hours each day. I do admit, i dont think i am more passionate about anything else than this outside of my studies.

smile.gif hey i was wondering if your school had a regular orchestra and a performance orchestra crazy.gif

I started violin back in October 1989 after hearing the Western Piedmont (NC) String quartet play at my school when I was in 3rd grade; so that's 12 years, I was 8.

In 92 I started trombone, but quit after my 10th grade year --I HATED marching band.

I picked up a viola in 97 (or 96, I don't remember).

The second love of my life (after my girlfriend, of course) came in 1999 by way of a beautiful mandolin which I haven't put down since. Girlfriend came in 2000, after the mandolin, but I love her more smile.gif.

Ben

Violinprincess...I go to Cornell...we have a symphony orchestra and a chamber orchestra and those are the two main string groups on campus. I don't know if that answered the question..they both perform..i dont know what you mean otherwise..but i tried to answer the question. =)

Violinprincess: I started two years ago at age 53. I had absolutely no music background and was probably a daunting challenge for the music teacher who took me on. But I decided to fulfill a childhood dream now that I'm retired.

I know that I haven't progressed as quickly as those who were lucky enough to start at a young age but I don't plan on quitting anytime soon. And since I'm doing this for my own enjoyment, I'm rewarded every time I pick up my instrument.

I can only say to you: "Do not waste any of your time or thought on those who discourage you because you may be starting late."

Listen only to your own inner voice. If it says play violin, then that's all you need to hear.

Squawker

I`ve been playing and taking lessons for four months. I started the viola at age seventy. I did have sort of a musical background in church choirs , bands and drum and bugle corps. As I preface it,I was a horn player not a musican. My goal is to get profecient enough to play in one of the local amateur orchestras.

Two years next month. I've never enjoyed an activity more. I started at age 60. Twenty years ago I was at a friend's home and he had a violin. I picked it up and played some simple tune. He said why not learn the violin. I said "Oh no ! you have to start as a child to learn the violin!" I cannot believe I was so stupid. In 20 years I could have been a half decent player. However its great fun, I play with a chamber group though my first love is Celtic. Unfortunately there is no group to play with. Moral of story..Just do it and forget preconceived notions of what cannot be done.

As of TODAY! Dec. 24th I have been playing for two years!!

I'm 46, and I dont think it matters how old you are, if you really want to play then you should ignore all the naysayers and do it! So you are too old to be a child prodigy? So what! I dont care if I never play like Stern or the others, as long as I play the best I am able, I'll be happy!!

FiddlinJim

I started playing old timey fiddle in 1970, inspired by the great players I heard in Viginia and North Carolina. Played until 1977 when my band broke up. I was discouraged because I have been hard of hearing for my entire life and intonation was a struggle... It still is. Stated again at the urging of my son who listened to the old album we made in 1976 and wanted to learn fiddle. I've been playing again with two hearing aides in for the last two years and loving every minute of it despite the hard work. So many beautiful, soulful tunes, such a magical instrument.

quote:

Originally posted by Nick:

Lets say you started at 60 and learned really fast and you can play Tchaikovsky's concerto by 61 years old.Do you call yourself an 'old prodigy'?

Is that what you did? Kudo's if so!

I've been playing for 15 years. Started seriously practicing about 9 years ago.

roman

quote:

Originally posted by Nick:

Lets say you started at 60 and learned really fast and you can play Tchaikovsky's concerto by 61 years old.Do you call yourself an 'old prodigy'?

Sheesh!! That's awesome!! I STILL can't play the Tchaikovsky...for some reason I find it immensely more difficult than Brahms, Sibelius, Glazunov, Beethoven..any of the other big ones...I don't know why..still trying to figure that one out. (I can't play all those other ones..but I have practiced them all and can play parts...but I struggle to even read thru the Tchaik)

Good work!!

quote:

Originally posted by HVS:

Sheesh!! That's awesome!! I STILL can't play the Tchaikovsky...for some reason I find it immensely more difficult than Brahms, Sibelius, Glazunov, Beethoven..any of the other big ones...I don't know why..still trying to figure that one out. (I can't play all those other ones..but I have practiced them all and can play parts...but I struggle to even read thru the Tchaik)

Good work!!

Now I am curios, why Beethoven? or the other big ones. I always imagined that Classical begun falling into self flagelation after the age of Enlightenment, so I start at Hadyn and stop at Bach, later ones I like slightly -Shumann, ummm Britain ..dont know why, ummm

I recently found a gorgeous piece by Schumann , on the page, not tried it yet, looks yummie. Later.

About the question, I begun stringed instruments in early childhood, along the way my Classical Pianist sister insisted I learn the Violin. I absolutely did not want to do that! At the time the very sound of it sent me running for cover. In the end I gave in, then had to work at learning, a new experience for me.. lol.

My melodic interests confine my exploits to Folk Music, but a little of anything that grabs my ear often falls out when I doodle.

I listen to lots of Classical CDs and would never ever be able to play that well. I like listening as much as playing.

smile.gif

The most irritating thing about Violin is getting the setup fixed so it sounds good all the time. If that is done then learning and playing is fun. If not it could drive one mad. A good Bow is a must, since a bad one will rob an instrument of it's charms.

The same thing applies to Banjos, wrongly set they are a pain in the head, but if skinned and tensioned they are very nice to listen to.

When I win the Lotto I will buy a Harpsicord and a Wig, also I would like a Croquet set, a garden, some companions, lots of good Port, oh and a Cat. (My pet stray has run away and does not visit these days.. probably the cold weather)

dkay,

I think that it is very cool that your son is interested in learning the fiddle after listening to your album. I'm sure every parent would like to have that type of influence over their kids. It's also nice that he wants for you to get back into the habit of playing, he obviously cares for your happiness.

Although I am starting out with trying to learn classical, I would love to one day be able to fiddle like the bluegrass players.

I started piano at age 5 and violin in 1964 after a string quartet from the high school came to play for my fourth grade class to promote the school's string program. I've been playing ever since and my violin has taken me on tours to Maine, Vancouver, Banf and Calgary, Tours, Ferrieres, and Gunsbach in France and Vienna and Graz in Austria.

I have been a regular member of the Phoenix Symphony, Goettinger Symphoniker, Braunschweig Staatstherater, Napa Valley Symphony and Marin Symphony. I have strolled at the Arizona Biltmore and played weddings at some of the most beautiful wineries in the Napa Valley.

I can't imagine who I would be without my violin. I passed my music on to my three kids too, One plays violin, one plays cello and the third plays harp.

With the violin I have met people from all over the world. It's been a great partnership.

Congratulations to all the people who have started playing as an adult. I really admire your determination. Good luck to all of you.

With three days under my belt, I'm more worried about playing the right notes than having a good sounding bow.[/b]

Actually, i've been playing for about 3 weeks now and the first half of the three weeks i couldnt get a sound out of my cheap bow. I borrowed a decent bow from a friend of mine(he doesnt use it anyway, he never learned) and the results are really really different. If you have a good sounding bow, it makes your violin sound way better and the notes come more easily to me because it makes me feel better about my playing and I work harder at it.

Anyway, I've been playing for three weeks now( i've already said that) and can play bluegrass songs like "you are my sunshine" and stuff like that, but I am working hard on learning scales. Right now, i can play the g scale and arpeggio two octaves in whole, half, and quarter notes. And almost in tune!!!! I'm recording scales on my piano and turning it up really loud at first then slowly weening away from it by turning it down lower and lower until I dont need it at all. It seems to be working pretty good. At least for me because its all I can do with where I live because NoOne around plays the fiddle and I cant take lessons if no one is here to give them too me!