Maestronet Forums

Best Case for around $140

bonsai

If the UK made Hiscox cases are available in your part of the world at that sort of price (that's about what they cost in UK), buy one! They look pretty average from the outside and the inside and they're not light, but they are the toughest, strongest and most durable case I've seen for that kind of price (or even double that price). If I sat on the average $140 case I'd probably cave it in, but you could possibly drive a car over a Hiscox case - I believe Kennedy used to use one.

Neil

quote:

Originally posted by bonsai:

I know its not a lot to spend, but what would be folks' pick for the best case for around $140. I'd like hill-type suspension, hygrometer not necessary, two bow holders and a partridge in a pear tree.
wink.gif

-bonsai

quote:

Originally posted by Keith Rogers:

I have 2 Bobelock cases (1002 and 1017). They seem to hold up well. The 1002 is right around that price. They have a lightweight case (1003 -- that I haven't seen) that is also reasonable. They are all on sale at
right now. (I have not personally done business with them, but they are one of the sponsors here.)

Johnson Strings is an excellent place to do business. Their customer service is excellent, and their entire staff is very pleasant to deal with. If you call or email with your request, they should be able to accomodate you.

I have a Regency case from Southwest Strings that's very nice and not very heavy. My only quibble is that the compartment on the end of the case is a little too small for my shoulder rest to fit easily, I have to cram it in diagonally. It was $150 on sale. Shipping is expensive on cases, though, so you might want to shop locally unless your state has a high sales tax (I figured out that New York sales tax would have been just about equal to the shipping charge).

I have 2 Bobelock cases (1002 and 1017). They seem to hold up well. The 1002 is right around that price. They have a lightweight case (1003 -- that I haven't seen) that is also reasonable. They are all on sale at http://www.johnson-inst.com right now. (I have not personally done business with them, but they are one of the sponsors here.)

I've been impressed by Bobelock cases. There are several models that fit within (and close to) your price range - at least at discount dealers like Ifshin Violins.

You will have to select the features you want that offer protection and carrying capacity for all that will accompany you.

There are other brands (and "non-brands") available at the same kinds of prices from all discount dealers (many, like SHAR and SouthWest seem to sell these under a "house brand," others, like Scott Cao, or Weinkrantz, may sell them with no brand name.

My own prefered style (for its carrying capacity) is the "semi-French" oblong case with 4 bow holders like a Bobelock 1017. If I could not afford that, I would select their 1002 suspension style with 2 bow holders (at $139).

If you do not carry a shoulder rest (and actually even if you do) a shaped case might do - and they are less expensive, lighter, easier to carry and stow.

Andy

P.S. WARNING: Whatever kind of case you decide to buy, be careful to examine the locks or latches on the bottom portion of the case. You want to be sure they are not in a position that might scratch your instrument's back if you put it away carelessly or in a hurry - you can be sure that sometime you will do that!

You also want to be sure that it is easy to remove the bows without any tendency to get stuck at the tip (which could break them). This is a danger if the bow holder at the tip end is too far along the bow stick - it should be as close to the tip as possible, while still securing the bow in place.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Victor (edited 12-22-2001).]

I have the Negri Virtuoso violin case. It is very nice, it has a nice shoulder rest strap that frees up space in the storage compartment. The case is made of ply-wood, has a weather strap and overall is a really nice case.

One thing I noticed is that the Virtuoso case, and the ones more expensive (Diplomat etc...) have the bow spinners set against the storage compartment, not the violin, which is very good. However, their cheapest model is the Monaco and it is flipped around, so that the spinners are against the violin and the storage compartment is on the left hand side of the case.

I really enjoy the case, I recommend their cases, except for the Monaco model.

Diana smile.gif

Heheh! I used the WAF when I recently ordered a new case. I got one of those 1017 Bobelocks from Johnson. Once I ordered it & it was on the way, I finally confessed to my wife. I go by the old saying that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

[This message has been edited by fiddlin (edited 12-25-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Violinchick:

I have the Negri Virtuoso violin case. It is very nice,

Hello Violinchick, thanks for your comments about yourcase...but i have a question: how does your case compare to the "American Case Company Passport violin case"? They look similar to me, in terms of interior color and exterior color. The features also look similar to me