Maestronet Forums

About the interesting piece Tzigane...

Saddest Violinist

My favorite recording of this is that by Zino Francescatti - who knew Ravel quite well and performed this piece to Ravel's own specifications.

Saddest Violinist, this piece (let alone the last page) is not that tough. Really.

Many people play this piece without fatigue - at least I did with orchestra when I was 18. Quite a few folks here on Maestronet would do a wonderful job on this piece.

Use your WRIST.

i LOOOOOOOOOOVE Tzigane. I still think it's the best piece written for violin just like rite of spring is the best piece written for the orchestra. I agree with HKV that Tzigane actually is not the hardest piece written for the violin. There are harder stuff like... ernst's polyphonic studies or waxman's carmen fantasy.. the list goes on. Tzigane is just a really well written show piece that makes the audience think that the piece is very hard.

Anyways... i actually did not agree with any of the recording i have listened to so far (bell, sophie-mutter, rapin, perlman). The cadenza section in the beginning is TOTALLY different from one person to another. One of the main reasons that i didn't agree 100% with any of the violinists i listened to is the fact that none seemed to be following ravel's intentions as to how long each note/rest is supposed to be. Had Ravel written it to be played as freely as we normally do these days, then he would not have bothered to calculate all those 16th and 32nd notes and rests.

I would really like to get a hold of rabin's or francescatti's recording.

The last page... do lots of rhythms.. w/ different bowings... and use the metronome. smile.gif

To me, the Tzigane is a gypsy work -- and should be played accordingly. I don't know enough about the history of this piece to say this with any certainty -- but I would conjecture that it's possible that the written-out time is intended to be gestural -- to illustrate the irregularity of the rhythm, not to constrain the player to follow it exactly.

Did Gitlis record this? I bet it's the sort of thing he'd play wonderfully.

quote:

Originally posted by lwl:

To me, the Tzigane is a gypsy work -- and should be played accordingly. I don't know enough about the history of this piece to say this with any certainty -- but I would conjecture that it's possible that the written-out time is intended to be gestural -- to illustrate the irregularity of the rhythm, not to constrain the player to follow it exactly.

I once read a book about Ravel, and it said that he was a most precise and very specific composer- he wrote down the music exactly how he thought it should be played.

quote:

Originally posted by cremona:

I once read a book about Ravel, and it said that he was a most precise and very specific composer- he wrote down the music exactly how he thought it should be played.

Yeah, right, except that the unaccompanied beginning of Tzigane is actually a long cadenza, and is usually played very freely --like most cadenzas.

This piece, by the way is fun to work on. It is rewarding to play, shows off the violin very well, and HKV is right -- it's not really all that difficult.

Phenominal piece of music, the literal translation of the word means gypsy. Ravel is a unique artist, there are some pices by him I can truly say I have never heard before.

Note the fascination with gypsy/Hungarian music of the times: Joachim Hungarian Concerto, Brahms Hungarian Dances and the popularity of Enesco who was himself a Hungarian.

I heave heard many recordings including Rabin, Szeryng, Heifetz, Perlman, Francescatti, Repin, Mutter, and Bell

I have to say I enjoy listening to the Kyung-Wha Chung recording above all, raw violin passion, stunningly so.

quote:

Originally posted by Violinerrrz:

Enesco who was himself a Hungarian.

Enesco was a Roumanian, not Hungarian. He wrote Roumanian Rhapsodies, and other music rooted on Roumanian music (sonata, overture, symphonic poem etc.).

As far as I know Gitlis has not recorded "Tzigane", which is a pity. I would love to hear him and Argerich tear into this music as they did in their recordings of Franck, Debussy and Beethoven "Kreutzer." Enesco was reputed to play this work in an exquisite manner, but did not leave a recording. Oh, well.....

My favorites are the 16 year old Menuhin, Ferras and Neveu (especially the live recording with Munch). Among the younger ones, Mirijam Contzen made a wonderful recording when she was about 16 or so.

Toscha

[This message has been edited by Toscha (edited 12-05-2001).]

I know that the piece is not that tough compared with many other works. In fact, Tzigane is a piece for LRSM in ABRSM if you check it in the website of ABRSM...

I just wanna ask how to play the last part. I think I can handle the other parts indeed. You see to me, fast staccato is quite difficult to me. And I have to practice on that.

That's right. You told me (bad memory on my part).

If you like this piece, try learning Szymanowski's Concerto #2.

The first time I heard this piece (Henryk Szeryng did an AWESOME recording of this coupled with my favorite recorded Wieniawski #2), I thought it was also written by Ravel. Of course, I was in the 8th grade at the time and didn't know anything about harmony.

Unfortunately, this work is not readily available. Juilliard didn't have it in its library, and it has to be special ordered for about $70.

But I might get it anyway.