Maestronet Forums

Sore Fingers

oldsubguy

Do you mean you've only been playing a couple months? If that's the case, I'd guess your callouses are still forming.

I have little pinpoint callouses on the fingers of my left hand, as do other fiddlers I know. If you are a beginner, perhaps you're just getting your "wings."

quote:

Originally posted by toc:

Do you mean you've only been playing a couple months? If that's the case, I'd guess your callouses are still forming.

I have little pinpoint callouses on the fingers of my left hand, as do other fiddlers I know. If you are a beginner, perhaps you're just getting your "wings."

i agree with TOC.. That was what happened to me when i started with the guitar..... it was really painful initially.. and i continued with playing despite the pain..

after a while it should be alright... smile.gif

alvin

quote:

Originally posted by xania:

Maybe you are pressing down on the strings a bit hard...try the minimum pressure that still gets the note.

I agree with that, and add you might want to try - Pirastro Tonica Strings which are much softer to play upon, easier and far more tolerant to the Bow, produce 10000% more of the sounds in you Violin and enable one to explore the lower as well as the higher strings.

Here is what I used do to limber my fingers, play the Tenor Banjo, do Finger exercises - I still do these all the time, work on moving the Violin futher to the RIGHT, ie it will be harder to rotate the Left Hand.

Finger Exercises for the Fingerboard -all instruments- Violin -pitch is not important since you are hopefuly training for coordination.

This is similar to sports where all kinds of Training programs are used to tune the body.

are some, these take reversing, and can be used to generate lots more.

Crossing strings is a 6 NOT a 4 note expression.

Thus Moving Up. eg on Violin G string to D.

1324- 3 UPTO 1 and 4 UPTO 2

next string

1324- etc.

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by toasty (edited 11-29-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by marian:

You do not want callouses. They will ruin your tone. Use the least amount of pressure possible.

Marian:

It's good to see this. I have been playing for 1 1/2 years. And, I play ALOT. I play every day, and hold 3 hr. sessions every other weekend. I have yet to get callouses on my fingers from playing the violin. I used to have callouses on my fingers when I played guitar, but I haven't in a long time and my callouses went away.

My teacher has them. I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. But I play all the time and my fingers are still very soft.

They were sore though when I first started, but no callouses ever formed.

[This message has been edited by crystal (edited 11-29-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by oldsubguy:

O.K., I've been at this fro about 2 months now an hour a day or so, I find I have to take every other day or so off since my fingers are so raw. Anybody have a solution to sooth fingers?

Want sore fingers? Try mandolin wink.gif. Like others have suggested, try some softer strings, silver wound Gs and Ds are much softer and an alluminum A. Or simply find a lighter guage string.

Ben

My left hand has very slight callouses on the tips, but they are soft, not big hard ones.

I guess the description is more like a bit firmer skin -- than what real callouses look/feel like. My husband cannot feel them, even compared to my right fingers at the same time.

I played bass in school, I *know* what callouses are.

You wouldn't think an hour a day would give a person that much grief, not after 2 months. But everyone's skin is different.

Yours must be super sensitive.

deb

No one has mentioned what I am thinking.

If your strings are steel strings, and are too far off the fingerboard, they can hurt your fingers.

I say this because the other day in a jam session, someone wanted me to see their fiddle they got a good deal on. I tried to play it and I said, "oh I can't play this very long, as the strings are too far off the fingerboard, and they hurt my fingers."

If you have a teacher, play her fiddle, see what she says about yours.

Playing with sore fingers is no fun.