Sign in to follow this  
gypsyfiddler

The Art Of Violin

So tell us about it, since the link doesn't really provide many details. When you've seen it, a review might also be helpful. Thanks!

Just came in the mail tonight, all I can say is RUN dont walk to your video store and buy this now !!!

This is a documentary hosted by Hahn, Gitlis, Handel, and Perlman.

Amazing performances by Elman, Heifetz, Grumiaux, Milstein, Rabin, Menuhin, Stern, Oistrakh, Ferras, Szigetti, Neveu, Francescaii, Szeryng, Ricci, Ysaye, Hassid, Kogan, Kreisler, Goldstein, Enescu, Thiabaud and many more.

[This message has been edited by Violinerrrz (edited 11-27-2001).]

Just clips but enough to see and get to know the tone and posture and fingering, etc of different styles.

Was also nice to hear Perlman and Gitlis and Menuhin and Hahn and Handel speak their opinions about other greats form the past.

quote:

Originally posted by illuminatus:

I looked at the list. There seems to be many interesting footages. Are they complete or just sections of the performance?

Great! I can hardly wait for the UPS truck tommorrow as I'm expecting it to arrive then. Looking forward to seeing the great Oistrakh as well as some of my other faves (Kogan, Francescatti, and of course Rabin).

Just feeling a little jealous that mine didn't come in today as I hoped for mad.gif

I watched my friend's DVD last Monday night. It's awesome to hear all the old violinists plus commentary from people like Perlman, Gitlis, Hahn, Haendel, Menuhin, etc. (Who's that guy opening Part 2?) Gitlis was especially fun to hear.

I found it interesting that some old schoolers temporarily used the Galamian-style bow hold with extended first finger yet didn't sound like stereotypical Galamian students (was it Szeryng?). I once thought a more-or-less straight bow added significantly to the contemporary bowing style, but Thibaud's bowing looked very parallel to the bridge at the extremities of the bow, and he sounds perfectly old school. The Milstein footage made me want "Master of Invention" more than ever.

The DVD is on my wishlist this Christmas.

-Aman

[This message has been edited by vieuxtemps (edited 11-28-2001).]

I have to admint that I have not been much of a Milstein fan until now, seeing him play live compared to the studio recordings I have heard really brought out the personality of his playing in a big way.

The paganiniana and bach were truly stunning, intonation impeccable, gorgeous tone. I really liked what Perlman said about his style, his emphasis on articulation. How true that is, I realized no player articulates notes like Milstein, so clean. This is especially noticable playing virtuoso pieces like paganini with all those notes flying by and so clearly articulated, really amazing. I can imagine Mr Milstein just sitting for hours thinking deeply how to being the maximum ability to articulate notes with respect to fingering and bowing as Perlman was talking about, this will stick in my head for years to come.

And then I saw Oistrakh play, who I prefer more than Heiftez and Milstein put togather, to see him play it was clear every note was a part of him, every note was a deep feeling and emotion that came from inside him. To see him speak with every note will remain with me as long as I live. For me, the man was raw emotion and will always be the ultimate violin player and musician of all time. Music is about emotion and there are very few who bring out the emotion in music as well as Mr Oistrakh. Technique is meaningless with out emotion...

Sorry if I rambled too long,

Scott

I think "Master of Invention" is Milstein's last recital, on video.

"Oistrakh in Performance" is a great video. "Artist of the People?" is more about Oistrakh's life under the Soviet Union, though there's some great playing clips in there.

-Aman

Is this video the same as what's going to be broadcast by PBS? I started the other thread about the Great Performances PBS show, but it's also titled Art of Violin. Hmmmm......

I think it's the same program. PBS aired the other two in the series.

quote:

Originally posted by crystal:

Is this video the same as what's going to be broadcast by PBS? I started the other thread about the Great Performances PBS show, but it's also titled Art of Violin. Hmmmm......

How strange! I know he's had it at least since last school year. Inspired by this thread, I borrowed it and watched it. Great video! All the Oistrakh clips were amazing, in particular the Franck Sonata, and I also loved Neveu. For my taste, they spent too much time on Menuhin.

I also liked when some guy said Michael Rabin had a great future "in show business."

Highly recommended!

The "Art of Violin" aired in Europe and the UK earlier this year, and the European standard version of the DVD has been available for some time. I think the US standard only became available within the past month or so -- I got mine from Amazon a few weeks ago.

Just bringing this up to the top.

I saw it on PBS this evening and truly enjoyed it. Even my mother who is not a classical music enthusiast loved seeing the old masters. I bought the DVD for myself and also bought a few of the videos to give for Christmas. At $25.49 for the DVD it is well worth it.

I saw it last night on PBS. Wow, I loved seeing all those greats doing things I will never be able to do.

Two quotes I loved:

Perlman said something like:

If you can't hear it, you're not gonna do it.

Someone else,(sorry, I missed that part) said

"I don't consider it my violin. I am it's violinist, just passing through it's life."

quote:

Originally posted by Yankee Fiddler:

Someone else,(sorry, I missed that part) said

"I don't consider it my violin. I am it's violinist, just passing through it's life."

If I recall correctly, that was Gitlis' comment.

T.

No, there was no Zimbalist clip in this program. I heard a rumor that a short film of his does exist, though. It is also unfortunate that there were no clips of Busch or Huberman. According to the producer, they could not find a clip of them.

But, aside from that, the DVD is remarkable. I especially enjoyed watching Thibaud, Gitlis, Grumiaux and somewhat younger Milstein (I have seen the Elman and Heifetz clips in their complete form as well as one of the Kreisler clip). I would have like to see a bit more Gitlis playing "La Campanella." He looked terrific!

All four commentators did their jobs well. Gitlis being the most entertaining (he really knew how to project and present himself in front of camera). I found Hahn's commentaries interesting as well. She is from a generation that has not heard most of those giants in person, but through recordings. Thus her commentaries may have lacked the immediacy of Gitlis or Haendel (who were, afterall, classmates of Hassid and Szeryng, and knew many of the violinists in person), she made up partially with her vivid imagination based on listening.

Hope there will be a sequel to this DVD with more clips someday. It will be so valuable to our generation!

Toscha