Maestronet Forums

Song(s) that bring you to tears: happyness, or sadness, anger, or excitement

paganiniboy

Not too often do I hear pieces that I get into it so much that they bring me to tears, or just tearing. It usually never happens the first time I hear a piece; most likely the 3rd time after hearing it because I know the piece now, what it holds.

A while ago (about 2 months) I went to see the TSO (Toronto) play a concert. The first, of course, was an overture. Something about Canadians they LOVE overtures - they need them. I've noticed at every concert i've ever been to here, an overture first. smile.gif

anyhoo, I digress, and so they played Beethovan's Cariolan Overture (Op. 62). Wow is it ever amazing...

Barber's Adagio for Strings does it for me ever once in a while.

Vaughan William's Fantasia on Thomas Tallas Theme... whoo..

umm...

Ernst's "le roi des alunes" (Der Erklong) gets close for me.

Oh, Beethovans Symphony 7th, second movement - wow.

I dont know if its any of those (happyness, sadness, excitement..). Its hard to explain. Its just pierces the soul/heart.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

P

(I think there was another thread nearly identical to this a few months ago.) I finally listened to the "Morimur" recording of the Bach Chaconne interspersed with the chorales (see the other post on that). It was on Morning Edition, and I had just happened to turn it on. I sat there with tears running down my face listening to it. Some of Szeryng's solo Bach (without voices, of course) affects me the same way.

Watching Cecilia Bartoli and Il Giordino Armonico in the Viva Vivaldi concert -- moved me to an amazing range of emotions that I don't think could be matched for me. The content of the program was wildly emotional to begin with and the performers excelled at portraying those emotions. An amazing match between voice and orchestra.

The concertmaster played in the baroque style - no chin or shoulder rest and actually wore a white silk scarf around his neck which somehow he had attached the the violin. Hi chin came nowhere near the violin and yet he played like a dream.

This was actually a video webcast that I watched and it choked me up the several times I had an opportunity to watch/listen to it.

Amazing stuff!!

Pam

Another vote for the Vaughan Williams. A great deal of choral music is powerful in this way, including Tallis of course. Allegri's Miserere sometimes requires a tissue or two standing by.

Solo button accordion music often brings tears to the eyes for the wrong reasons, but Dermot Byrne (of Altan) playing "Paddy's Rambles through the Park" is painfully beautiful.

I've cried only once when hearing or playing music. That was last thursday, when my youth orchestra performed Mahler's 1st with a professional orchestra. At the end of the last movement, after those 16th runs, all of the 12 french horns stood up and played the main theme. The violas play only accompanying 8ths, but I enjoyed every note. I was nearly exploding with happiness after a great performance of a great symphony with a heavenly main theme... Really one of the best moments in my life. Or maybe I was just overreacting, my violinist friends looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I had cried... smile.gif

Sad:

Barber adagio for strings

Elgar cello concerto

Ravel piano concerto , second movement

Mozart Quintet in G minor

Brahms Clarinet quintet

Mournful and yet hopeful

Mahler symphony #9 , 4th movement

Upbeat, happiness

Beethoven symphony #5, and #7

[This message has been edited by elrach (edited 11-25-2001).]

I think it is a good idea to post your favourite pieces or concertos to share with other people or begineers who haven't listen much.

But I also hope that people can spell the names of the pieces correctly so we can search for them easier. =)

For me, I am limited in my knowledge of concertos and other grand pieces

But for now, I love Meditation, Dvorak, some Bach pieces, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky

quote:

Originally posted by paganiniboy:

I STILL havn't heard that!!! I'm looking all over for it!!! Jeeez! I'm missing out!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

P.

If you are having trouble finding it you may want to go to audiogalaxy.com, they have some songs that are not the best known songs. All you have to do is download a sattelite, its like napster without all the problems.

One song is capble of bringing tears to my eyes: Nothing Else Matters by Metallica.

I always loved the song, but now that the love of my life --my angel-- lives half a world away it seems (I'm in North Carolina, she's in Jersey), the song just brings out so many emotions.

"So close no matter how far,

couldn't be much more from the heart,

forever trusting who we are,

and nothing else matters."

Ben

Hey Paganiniboy, I just downloaded Itzhak Perlman playing the Poeme tonight off Morpheus. If you would like it, I can give it to you over AIM or ICQ, if you have those (those are the ones I have), and if not that, I can possibly upload it to you if you have an FTP server. Just respond here, or email me and I'll hook you up. =)

quote:

Originally posted by HVS:

Hey Paganiniboy, I just downloaded Itzhak Perlman playing the Poeme tonight off Morpheus. If you would like it, I can give it to you over AIM or ICQ, if you have those (those are the ones I have), and if not that, I can possibly upload it to you if you have an FTP server. Just respond here, or email me and I'll hook you up. =)

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!! My ICQ # is in my profile, so you can check it out there. Again, thanks a lot, i'll be online tonight.

Patrick.

I've almost never cried over a piece of music, but I remember one time. I was listening to the radio, and a lutenist came on playing a little Dowland piece, a fairly cheery thing called My Lady [something]'s Puff. But it was such a perfect performance, and such a perfectly formed little jewel, that it went straight to the core of me. Funny the little things that get us.

Jason Fruit.

There is so much music which moves me that it is hard to narrow it down to a few works, but here are my thoughts:

I'm going to break ranks here and suggest that some of the most wonderfully touching music that I can think of is by George and Ira Gershwin.

There is a complex simplicity in Ira's lyrics that George always found the exact tune for that make them very moving when combined together.

I melt like "buttah" when I hear "Someone to Watch Over Me" or "Our Love is Here to Stay."

These are especially great when you have someone like Ella Fitzgerald singing them. Don't we all miss Ella, with that silky smooth voice!

In the classical realm, there is my all time favorite opera "Carmen." Boy oh boy if you can't find a character or music in that you don't relate to then you are not human.

Regards,

Don Crandall