Maestronet Forums

Anne-Sophie Mutter Cancels US Tour...

fatcat

On a sightly related note, I heard Hilary Hahn a couple of weeks ago at Lincoln Center and noticed that she did not announce that she would be signing programs etc. out in the lobby as she usually does. I don't know if, in fact she did the signing because I don't usually hang around for stuff like that, I just made notice that she did not advertise the fact and wondered if it was maybe related to terrorism etc., or if Lincoln Center's insurance gurus thought it would not be a good idea, or what.

Was anyone there that knows whether or not she did a signing afterward?

quote:

Originally posted by fatcat:

On a sightly related note, I heard Hilary Hahn a couple of weeks ago at Lincoln Center and noticed that she did not announce that she would be signing programs etc. out in the lobby as she usually does. I don't know if, in fact she did the signing because I don't usually hang around for stuff like that, I just made notice that she did not advertise the fact and wondered if it was maybe related to terrorism etc., or if Lincoln Center's insurance gurus thought it would not be a good idea, or what.

Was anyone there that knows whether or not she did a signing afterward?

She did sign autographs in the lobby.

No, I believe it. I don't especially want to fly right now either.

I really didn't mean to question Mutter's motives - she is certainly entitled to her opinion and justified in doing what she thinks is best, as are we all. I just thought it was an interesting piece of news.

Of course I should have known when originally posting that longhair would use it as an excuse to disparage so-called "modern" violinists.

Originally posted by Marco67:

Longhair, I've read that, during his concert, bombs started to fall when Oistrakh was playing the Canzonetta: he gave a look to the audience, and, as nobody gave sign of leaving the concert hall, he went through the whole concert, and played it entirely...

Wow...

>>>Thanks for the story

She's not a very nice person and I've try to meet with her on sveral occasions, she's not very responsible to her fans... Quite frankly, i dont' like her new recordings... she's turning every single piece of music into an experiment. It's very true that sometimes it's nice to hear a piece of music with lushious tonal colours, but I think what she did in Beethoven's violin sonata was just unacceptable...

I heard her playing Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Brahms; i expect a lot more from her. I am quite disappointed with her as a person and a musician.

Let's not condemn Ms. Mutter for cancelling her performances without specifically knowing the reasons.

I had heard that her reasons for cancelling were related to the fact that she is a single (widowed) mother and that the events of September 11 made her realize that she hasn't spent enough time with her children recently.

Family comes first.... her true fans will respect her decision and continue to support her.

Let me tell you somethign Ludwig...

Mutter is an international star... she has the whole entire world of fans supporting her... so when she just around the globe not taking care of her fans even prior to 9-11, I don't think that's being reasonsible. So I dont' care what her excuses is, if she wants her fans to keep support her, she has to show appreciation. You have to give a piece to get a piece... so PUT OUT OR GET OU!

quote:

Originally posted by Bayer521:

Mutter is an international star... she has the whole entire world of fans supporting her... so when she just around the globe not taking care of her fans even prior to 9-11, I don't think that's being reasonsible. So I dont' care what her excuses is, if she wants her fans to keep support her, she has to show appreciation. You have to give a piece to get a piece... so PUT OUT OR GET OU!

I beg your pardon?

Jason.

quote:

Originally posted by Bayer521:

I don't understand... Could you develop what you're talking about?

Thank You!

Many women have put aside their performing careers, temporarily or for fairly lengthy periods of time, in order to take care of their families.

Notable examples: Kyung-Wha Chung (for a long period of time, to raise her children), and recently, Leila Josefowicz (briefly, for a pregnancy).

As the sole surviving parent to her children, it should come as no great wonder that Mutter wants to spend more time at home -- and to not take any unnecessary risks with her life. (Whether those risks are real or perceived is no doubt a matter for debate, but what matters, from the perspective of one's decision-making, is whether one personally believes in the risks.)

quote:

Originally posted by lwl:

Many women have put aside their performing careers, temporarily or for fairly lengthy periods of time, in order to take care of their families.

Yeah, I think it's more of a man-thing to sacrifice everything for your career.

Neglect your wife, only see your kids for a few hours on weekends ... but make sure you're at the office on time!

I, for one, am very pleased with my wife's decision to put her nursing career on hold to be a full-time mom to our son.

I wish I could remember the name of the famous rabbi who said that of all the people he'd ever attended on their death bed, not one ever said, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office!"

Family should always come first!

Len

ASM once mentioned in an interview that she her personal life will always come first, but music is something she will continue to pursue.

i think that says it all. and not to mention her husband passed away leaving her and two kids.

any sentient being capable of feelings and emotions definitely has a hefty responsibility to bear. by putting it this way, it sounds like an obligation. but a mother's love, as we all know, is blinding. who are we to question it?

anyways, hi to all.

this is my first official post after a friend introduced me to this GREAT site!

speaking of Brahms violin concerto?

ASM's recording with Masur/NYPO is excellent, don't you think. the orchestra playing is fairly dull, IMO, but the intensity exuded by the soloist is blinding. it is at times vulnerable, volatile, agressive, fierce, defensive, poignant, simple, ... almost anything imaginable.

i highly recommend this recording!! one of the most outstanding, if not the most, new brahms recordings in recent years.