Maestronet Forums

Heritage Go! Violin Case

Cerulean

I took an interest in this case a while back, but opted not to go for it. Neat shape, fair positioning of the instrument, good price.

BUT...

The case is entirely made of foan with a canvas (nylon if memory serves) cover. It will sustain one sizeable impact and be kaput (but I think most people never subject their cases to an impact of this size). It also has limited ability to withstand a steady pressure. Say you are moving to college and have all your belongings in the trunk with your violin case, and your stereo shifts against the case for the whole ride. It may crack.

For another $50 or so you can get a stronger case with more room.

Just my $0.02

I bought a Heritage GO case in 3/4 size for our 10-year old (well, he used to be 10, he is 11 today). He likes it because no one else at school has one like it and he can pick it out in the music room at school in an instant. His old 1/2 size ahd a Freistat case like 100 others. He goes to school on the bus, so the case (and violin inside) gets banged and hit a lot. So far, neither the case or the violin has suffered any visible damage from the banging it gets. In contrast, the unsuspended dart-shaped case for his 1/2 size transmitted the hits right to edge dings on the violin. Another bonus is that it is one of the few cases to have a dedicated holder for a shoulder rest.

So far, the case has not had to withstand a heavy crushing blow like a heavy box falling on it. He and I are both very pleased with the case.

On a different tack, I don't understand why everybody is fixated with weight in a violin case. The fixation is understandable in a rifle for hunting sheep but you aren't walking 20 miles a day up and down mountains with your violin case. A heavy case with violin and bow would only go 7 or 8 pounds.

quote:

Originally posted by FINPROF:

On a different tack, I don't understand why everybody is fixated with weight in a violin case. The fixation is understandable in a rifle for hunting sheep but you aren't walking 20 miles a day up and down mountains with your violin case. A heavy case with violin and bow would only go 7 or 8 pounds.

Ugh,...maybe it is me? perhaps? maybe I have a weak shoulder? That is why I am feeling the strain....And I don't walk to my violin classes. I use a bike to the bus stop and take a bus...so walking is minimised....

But in events where I have to walk with my case, I really dread the day!

Cerulean:

I was thinking about a foam case also and did quite a bit of research.

I didn't end up getting one though. I recently upgraded my dart shaped case, which was a good, basic case, but I wanted more compartments inside.

In talking with Johnson Strings, the lady told me that the foam cases will not protect from a puncture or any type of heavy object. You will "dent" the foam even from banging it into walls and such.

I know you're not interested in this but I will tell you anyways. I ended up going with a Bobelock Hill Style case model 1017, about 6 or 7 lbs. which is gorgeous, plus it has a vaporette bottle and hygrometer, 4 bow spinners, and 3 large interior compartments. There's even a surprise inside the full music pocket on the outside. I think it's a really beautiful case and Johnson Strings is having sale on Bobelock cases right now that I couldn't beat the price after shopping all around. There is a "featherweight" version of the same case. It's #1003 or 1003V, which is 5 lbs. It is a combination foam and wood. And the prices that are listed are NOT even the sale prices.

www.johnsonstrings.com

[This message has been edited by crystal (edited 11-03-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by FINPROF:

I agree. The difference between a light and heavy case is about 3 pounds. The total weight is a small fraction of what a cellist, bassist, or saxophonist carries around. Maybe people should be exercising more, so that carrying 10 lbs. is not so tiring? Lack of physical fitness is a rather frequent problem with musicians. Just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by bleeviola:

The total weight is a small fraction of what a cellist, bassist, or saxophonist carries around. Maybe people should be exercising more, so that carrying 10 lbs. is not so tiring? Lack of physical fitness is a rather frequent problem with musicians. Just a thought.

Hmm, just to let all of you know, I exercise 3 times a week, going jogging and playing basketball. I have broad shoulders (due to frequent swimming when I was young) and I am about 5"10. I think I should be fit enough right? smile.gif

Not only the violin case, but my everyday going to classes schoolbag is giving me problems. Just a combination of the schoolbag and textbooks will give me a strain at the end of the day

I thank all of you for your advice though, and I will search for a solution

=)

[This message has been edited by Cerulean (edited 11-03-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by bleeviola:

I agree. The difference between a light and heavy case is about 3 pounds. The total weight is a small fraction of what a cellist, bassist, or saxophonist carries around. Maybe people should be exercising more, so that carrying 10 lbs. is not so tiring? Lack of physical fitness is a rather frequent problem with musicians. Just a thought.

On the bright side, in terms of violin cases, I'm a manager of a dance company who is currently using a live Cellist for one of its pieces, and we have to pay a full person fare on the airline just for the Cello(violins still get to go as hand luggage). Being based in Spain, I can assure you that International tours are quite 'expensive'!!! An added 'economic weight'!

quote:

Originally posted by crystal:

I ended up going with a Bobelock Hill Style case model 1017, about 6 or 7 lbs. which is gorgeous, plus it has a vaporette bottle and hygrometer, 4 bow spinners, and 3 large interior compartments. There's even a surprise inside the full music pocket on the outside. I think it's a really beautiful case and Johnson Strings is having sale on Bobelock cases right now that I couldn't beat the price after shopping all around. There is a "featherweight" version of the same case. It's #1003 or 1003V, which is 5 lbs. It is a combination foam and wood. And the prices that are listed are NOT even the sale prices.

I just bought that same case through Johnson. I received it about a week ago. I got the one with the blue silk interior, and I love it. I agree with Crystal that it's a beautiful case. My previous case was a Heritage IV from Shar, and this new Bobelock feels a little heavier than that one. But weight doesn't bother me.

Coincidentally, although I purchased a Heritage GO case in 3/4 size for the 10-year old, a few months later I ordered a Bobelock 1017 with burgundy silk interior when Discount Strings had them for $217. It is a very nice case and I am very pleased with it, particularly at the price. It replaced a somewhat cheesy oblong case that came with my Garret Pate St. Cecile.

I just wish the Bobelock had the under-the-neck compartment for a shoulder rest like a couple of Weber models have. This feature alone is making me consider buying a Weber. The Bobelock will proabably become a hand-me-down when the 11-year old moves to a full size.

The surprise is that inside the music pocket, there's this sort of "organizer" area, where you can put pencils, and there are two pockets that velcro shut for things maybe like, extra strings, or something. It's just got these little extra nooks and crannys and hiding places. I've never seen this before on a case. But surely mine's not unique.

Most people who complain about heavy cases are in reality complaining not just about the case alone but all the extra music etc. in the case. You may be the unusual one who carries a lot of goodies separate from the case, but it is temping to carry lots of music(heavy)and other things in the case. Heavy cases often are strong cases which will protect your (expensive, precious)instrument from the rare disasters. If your instrument is something you would just as soon replace there are some really cheap light cases around. It is a choice.