Maestronet Forums

Sibelius recording

Yconcerto

Heifetz's recording is my favorite. It's hard to explain why (well besides the flawless technique and style)..there is just something about his recording that has an elevated level of excitement and depth (well for me anyways).

The Midori recording isn't bad either.

Well, I'll have to say its Gil Shaham's Live performance with Cleveland (not the released recording, but from the broadcast). After that its Oistrakh's, but not the live recording with the Finnish Radio Symphony. I think the good one is with Ormandy and Philly, but I'm not sure!

On another note, the WORST recording I've heard is by Bruno Zwicker (its a cheap Point recording). I have a thing for bad recordings, they're so much fun! I'm now the proud owner of the worst recording of the Brahm's concerto!

Maybe, since I'm working on the sibelius concerto I'll make a recording of it...we'll see smile.gif

In the Who "Owns" a Piece of Music thread, Toscha posted this:

Sibelius? I would get Heifetz/Beecham (1935) and Gitlis/Horenstein. They are pretty unbeatable.

If you prefer more expansive interpretation, try Oistrakh, Neveu, Kulenkampff (with Furtwangler!) and Sylvia Marcovici.

Menuhin and Spivakovsky are pretty interesting. Menuhin's recording is not technically immaculate, but has great warmth. Spivakovsky has some unusual ideas in terms of inflection and glissandi.

Toscha

quote:

Originally posted by iupviolin:

Well, I'll have to say its Gil Shaham's Live performance with Cleveland (not the released recording, but from the broadcast). After that its Oistrakh's, but not the live recording with the Finnish Radio Symphony. I think the good one is with Ormandy and Philly, but I'm not sure!

As a child, Gil Shaham listened to three records incessantly: a Beatles album (Help! or Abbey Road), Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, and the Oistrakh/Ormandy Sibelius. I like Heifetz's very much (great stuff on the CD), but Oistrakh/Ormandy is my absolute favorite.

Sibelius himself liked Guila Bustabo's interpretation the most (he had a picture of her in his study). In the 40's or 50's, he told Oistrakh he was glad a violinist of his stature took up his concerto.

-Aman

I have to mention that my favorite Sibelius recording is really the Stern/Ormandy.

That recording ( I have it on LP) is remarkable. And the truth is that I usually don`t place Stern above such names as Oistrakh and Heifetz.

The first time I listened to it, I thought that all other recordings were wrong... that`s because Stern seemed to "fix" some rhythmical distortions of other recordings I knew at the time.

That`s probably my favorite Stern record.

Well, Lymond has beaten me on this one (by quoting my old post smile.gif ).

Guila Bustabo's recording is also excellent, although I sometimes get a bit put off by her consistently fast vibrato (Gitlis has a similar vibrato, but his playing has more color).

Another very good one that somehow escaped my attention last time is Ferras/Karajan. It is one of Ferras' best recording, along with his Schumann and Enesco sonatas. Very fiery and dramatic, with honey-rich sound.

I don't really click with Francescatti on this concerto. His tone is consistently too "sunny" for this music.

Toscha

quote:

Originally posted by vieuxtemps:

As a child, Gil Shaham listened to three records incessantly: a Beatles album (Help! or Abbey Road), Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, and the Oistrakh/Ormandy Sibelius.

Can I ask how you know this? I knew about the Berlioz but I've never heard anything about the other two. Just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by Yconcerto:

Thanks everyone! Where can you get Guila Bustabo's CD? I havn't really heard of her much...

I do not know if it is still obtainable, but it was published by a New York used record store called A Classical Record. I believe they have relocated to New Jersey recently, but I cannot find their current address now. They have a website, so try a search with "used records" or their name.

Good luck!

Toscha