Maestronet Forums

Are you, our members in NY ok?

Ken Nielsen

I couldn't believe it...and have no words to describe how I feel, even if I live an ocean away. Hope you all are safe, down there, and I'm thinking of all those people involved...My prayers go out for you all, I won't let hate prevale, but I think it will be difficult to forgive. Impossible to forget. Here in Italy, on a TV channel, they said there was a missile attack on Kabul in the night, but I don't think it's true, is it?

Marco

It all seems so unreal here so far away. Looking at the news as it broke yesterday afternoon on the TV (about 14:00 our time is 9:00 NY time) it seemed like scenes we see in films, and not reality.

I am so sorry for New York, the USA and indeed the world. This is a terrible thing, and my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

We immediately start to think of family and friends who may be involved or affected (directly or indirectly). My brother in law and his wife were in New York, but we got an email yesterday afternoon to say they had (miraculously)flown back into the UK on Tuesday morning our time, and were in the World Trade building on Sunday. There but for the grace of God etc.

I also of course thought of all Maestronetters in NY and the USA, and felt I just wanted to say how sorry I am that this could happen. It is a tragedy beyond words.

At our orchestra rehearsal last night we had a minute's silence, and then went on to play Dvorak's New World Symphony. You are all in our thoughts.

Jane

Although I am not in NYC, I am sure I speak for all Americans when I say "thanks" to those of you around the world who have sent well wishes to us. We feel your support and it is greatly appreciated. It is times like these that we really focus on what our priorities are. Suddenly all those trivial worries flea and we just want to survive and be with our loved ones.

-hope

A friend’s brother works in the WTC, but was in the lobby (getting cash from the ATM) when the building was hit. He was therefore able to run out before it collapsed and came out unscathed. Pretty much anyone who survives this heinous tragedy will have an equally remarkable story to tell.

Apart from the sheer magnitude of the loss of human life, not to mention the emotional toll still underway in trying to locate loved ones (everyone I know personally is fine, thank God!), I can’t help but mourn the structures as well--not the actual buildings, but what they represent.

I pass the Pentagon daily to and from work (and used to live within walking distance), and it always symbolized what it was intended to--safety. The size and grandeur of it spoke volumes of our military prowess, even if only subconsciously. I drive to NYC about once a month, and still haven’t fully absorbed that the twin towers--which are part and parcel of what NY is all about--won’t be there to greet me.

I have had friends reach me from Australia, Denmark, Germany, Israel and England. Their support of me and of all Americans is greatly appreciated, and will be even more so when we’ve had a chance to absorb it all.

Like the rest of the world, I am moved beyond words, and keep all who are personally affected in heart and mind....

My prayers, too, for all those whose lives are forever changed by this...

families and friends of victims...

survivors who will never be the same...

firefighters, police officers, medical personnel, volunteers who are putting out superhuman effort to meet the needs of others while having to set aside their own sense of horror...

God be with you all.

Nan

My sister-in-law's husband works, or worked, in the WTC. He got out safely. His office was in the second building to be hit. After the initial attack, a voice over the PA system informed people in the second tower that everything was under control and there was no need to evacuate. But he saw flames leaping from the other tower, and he told his people to leave, saving their lives I guess.

I live about 30 minutes from NYC. Travelling home over the Tappan Zee Bridge yesterday, I could see the city and the smoke. The smoke covered half of an extremely large city. Today, the smoke is less, and I could see that part of the city is simply...missing.

My good friend who works in the WTC was sent out to pick up a rental car by her boss that morning. She didn't even know what had happened until she reached the rental car counter.

My sister was evacuated from her office building next to the Capitol. It was a strange day for her, going home and watching all day on TV the horrors engulfing her friends and neighbors who worked at the Pentagon. Plus the realization that the Capitol could have been a target.

Just last week my co-worker got back from vacation in New York City and had pictures both of the WTC and from the WTC. Her aunt worked on the 57th floor and my friend visited there every day. Fortunately her aunt decided to take a later train into the city yesterday and missed the attack.

How interesting it is that we are from all over, but so many of us have ties to those specific areas in New York and Washington. Even without the ties, it feels like a huge personal loss for everyone.

I'm not a religious person, but my deepest condolences and prayers go out to everyone who's connected with this in any way.

We witnessed a tragedy yesterday, something we have never seen before and hopefully we'll never see again.

Luckily I had no friends or faimly in the area. My uncle is a lawyer that lives in Greensboro, NC, he conducts a lot of work in New York City. My girlfriend, whom I love with all my heart and soul, lives in New Jersey, in a small town that's pretty much a suburb of both Philadelphia and NYC (about 20 minutes from Philly and an hour from NYC), many of her friends have family that commute to NYC. I was more than terrifyed yesterday because even though I knew in my heart she was safe, when I talked with her, she was in tears. I coulnd't help but worry about her.

This is like nothing I've ever seen. I was in Atlanta the day of the bombing in 1996, it looked bad. But compared to what we saw yesterday, it looked like nothing more than a cigarette burn on a couch coushin.

Like I said on my webpage this morning, we've lost what was left of out innocence.

Ben

http://benland.dreamwater.com

Like me, I guess many from around the world have been moved to tears knowing that there will be so many lives affected.

I just want to let you know that even here, in a small town in NSW, Australia, our school held a minute's silence and had our flag at half-mast during our school's education day display. Such is the feeling of sympathy here. Our prayers continue for your brave rescue workers.

Tara

I know many people in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, from where they saw it happen, as the two towers can be seen from many angles in the small Jewish area of Williamsburg.

I don't know of anyone, personally hurt, but I know there were quite a few who I would certainly know someone who knows someone who knows them.

We don't know everything yet.

There were many religous communities in Israel nationwide, praying for the welfare of the victims.

I am so frustrated and sorrowful I can barely see straight...I put extra rosin on the bow and cranked out every American song I could find...

Maybe musicians who are in the affected regions could play for the great rescue workers or for the folks in the hospitals... (any place that's logistically do-able?)

(Maybe it would just add to the heart-wrenching nature of it all, I don't know. But definitely a unique way to help.)

Hi to all of our American friends,

I watched in horror as I saw replays of the horrific plane crashes in New York, Washington and near Pittsburg, and as I listened to recounts of the acts of terrorism that were inflicted upon innocent people in those areas. And I admire all those gallant people who so willing gave - and are still willing risking - their lives to rescue those trapped in the rubble. I was a young student at Cornell University when President John Kennedy and the members of his administration had to deal with the bay of pigs episode in the early 1960s, and I remember how chilling it felt to realize that we could be in a global war at any time. My heart and prayers go out to all of our friends here on maestronet, and to all Americans who are still feeling the effects of those horrible deeds. May God bless all of you. Alton Craig, one of your Canadian friends.

I was about to have my first English class of the year when my teacher came in crying, telling us what happened. I have a friend whose sister worked for Morgan Stanley in the WTC. She was on the 85th floor but got out and came home.

It amazes me how many people I know who have been affected. While it's true that I'm fairly near the city it makes me realize the sheer amount of loss in this tragedy.

Peace,

Micaela

A neat thing that I wanted to share:

On Wednesday, I received a forwarded e-mail that people had been trying to pass around to as many as possible. They had decided that on Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. CST time, that everyone who owned a pennywhistle and could play one that received that letter, was to play "Amazing Grace". Three times----once for the victims, once for the familes, and once for our nation.

I found this touching that though we are so far apart from state to state, we can all be joined and comforted by playing music. It is a story now, that I plan on telling when I perform "Amazing Grace".

Journ

Though I live half a world away, watching those scenes of the tuesday bombing played out in the news reading really makes me feel sad, makes me feel like crying.It's very shocking till today.

I just got to know that my churchmate who is supposed to be working in the office there came back for back home for a short break when this happens. It is by God's grace that he escaped this tragedy, but he lost many of his colleagues.

I prayed to God that many more still can be saved from the rubble, that the families there will find comfort and strength in the midst of their grief. I hope that there will not be a third world war.

I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope/Boerum Hill), and when about to

leave for work, I heard that a plane had hit the WTC, so I first

saw the smoke out my window and then ran up to my roof, where I have a view of Manhattan. Within minutes I saw the second plane

hit, and a short time later the collapses. Completely

unbelievable. We could hear the explosion from the second impact

and feel the ground shake from the collapses. The wind carries

the smoke here from time to time, necessitating the windows be shut, and friends in the area found pieces of office paper, some

still smoldering, in their yards. Thankfully I don't know anyone

who was in the area at the time...

Derek

I am sure all of us here in Canada share our neighbours' grief. I still can't quite wrap my head around it, no matter how many times I see it shown on TV. Canadian flags are at half-mast in honour of the victims.

I'm also aware of something no less tragic: that people of the Muslim faith or of Arabic or Middle Eastern descent are being harassed, or worse, because of this event. They are someone's fathers, mothers, siblings and friends, and they grieve as much as anyone. Please, help stop this kind of narrow-minded cruelty! Remember, it wasn't Muslims or Arabs who did this, but terrorists.

Laurel