Sign in to follow this  
shank

Portable CD Player

Can anyone recommend what kind of Portable CD player that has a good sound for Classical and other types of music? Do all Portable CD Players all sound the same or do they sound different from one another? I just bought an RCA Portable, and it seems like it doesn't have a loud sound but rather soft. I bought my first Portable about 12 years ago, and it's sound was loud and full. Is it my imagination or do new Portable CD Players sound soft?-thanks.

my advice would be to get a sony...any model will do...pretty much the best portable personnal cd player u can get...u should buy new head/ear phones for it (KOSS is a decent brand that isnt outrageous in the price department). my CD walkman was $100...the model with the radio feature. its the second from the top of the line and i love it, and the batteries last quite a while. if you dont need the radio a sony can be had for about $69. good luck. happy listening. oh and about the loudness...this player has a feature to limit the loudness so you dont damage your hearing, so needless to say its VERY loud

okay, some tech specs. Any CD player usually has the same exact 'frequency response' - which is what the sounds come out as in hertz, etc. They are all, again, usally around '20-20,000'. (Bass being low and Treblle high - obviously).

So, another one - always get a CD player with a "D/A" (digital to Analog) conversion rate of 1 bit. Anything higher - whoa thats better. Anything lower - dont bother. (besides - they dont even make anything lower anymore!).

RCA/Sony/Panasonic - they all pretty much have the same sounds. The thing you're hearing different is headphones. You need good quality headphones to hear good quality sounds. I personally have ALWAYS liked Sony's sounds. (my nickname is sony here w/ my friends). Panasonic sounds like it lacks mid-range and RCA sounds too bassy for me. But, like I said, it depends on the headphones. I can use my Sony headphones on a CHEAP CD player and come near to sounds Quality.

Headphone specs:

Earbud Style:

They go inside the ear. There is Closed type or Open. Closed which Sony only makes, has a rubber 'thing' which goes inside the ear just like noise blockers. Thats what they are. Closed type earbuds block out outside noise and concentrate (sp?) sounds.

Open type are, well, open. they dont go INSIDE the ear, like closed. Also, they usually can come w/ better sounds because they can make bigger drivers - a driver is what 'drives' the sounds. (or makes).

The best earphones both come from sony.

Closed - (which I have) MD-EX70LP (around 50 bucks). (frequency response is 16-23,000)

Open - MMD-E888LP. Around 70-80 bucks. More 'crystal clear sounds' on the mid ranges. Frequence response from 18-26,000.

Headphones - you know what those are. They are 'open' - or allow sounds to enter the ear other than the sounds from the speakers. They aren't as nearly good as the listed earphones above. Unless you get 'studio headphones' (the big honkers) then you wont get good sound.

Vertical-in-the-ear/Sport (same name really).

They are the usual yellow Sony or black no-name thin ones that have a little plastic strip that goes on the head and the speaker resembles that of earphones.

So, what I said is all about headphones. It really doesn't matter what player you have. But, I recommend a good Sony one because they have a higher rating. Catagories usually include sound, battery life, durability, and reliance. I have the

"de-j01". (hehe, go check it out - the nicest cd player EVER!!! its got a nifty slide-in loading, just like that of a car cd player)

Whoo!

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

P

Thanks, Maybe i'll get the sony one since you guys say it sounds nice and loud. I played the RCA again to see if i'ii change my mind, but you are right-its too bassy, thats what i hate most about it. i think i'll take it back where i bought it ( i bought at radio shack) and go to circuit city or something. Well, when i played my CD "Paganini's Violin" with Accardo, the violin sounded like it was being played in a hallway rather than a studio. Well, thanks again!

I have a cheapy, no-name player (no radio) from one of the local discount houses- $29.98 and it's great! Hope you haven't blown out your hearing on the original!

Shack,

Just a reminder. Never get a CD player if its over 100 bucks at a store like Circut City or Best Buy. Always, if its over 100 bucks, get the player via internet. There is an especially good website called

www.etronics.com

They are real safe, and give you real good delivery and warrenties you can get as well. My player costs 349.99 via any store or the Sony webiste. There on that site it costs 249.99. A hundred bucks is a lot.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

P

p.s. if you're gonna but a player at a store, best bet is Best buy. Radio Shack has half refurbished it seems, half broken, etc... Radio Shack, Sears, or any 'high' quality store.

My first CD player ever was one of the earlier Sony discman models. It skipped if you looked at it funny, but in all fairness, I guess the dog yanking it off the shelf with her tail couldn't have been good for it.

This Christmas I got a Sony sports discman (mom had a pile of Visa points)... http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=SONDSJ17CK

...and I use it everywhere. I've never used the extra skip protection but I don't run with it only because I don't like wearing headphones when I run. I have had to run for the bus on several occasions and it takes a pretty good bump to make it skip. I also don't need to panic if I'm caught out in the rain with it. I suppose having the radio function would have been nice, but I love it all the same.

[This message has been edited by tc (edited 08-28-2001).]

good advice paganini bout shopping online...only reason i bought mine at best buy was because it was on sale...the $100 i payed included the 10 year in store warrantee (ie: if i drop it, or my radio window gets scratched or it falls in a pool...or i get mad and stomp it while practicing), sales tax and a diet pepsi on the way out...i didnt get the sony buds ($70) cause i was short on cash, got less expensive KOSS buds instead, they work pretty well, though not like Sony's i'm certain.

I'm not a gearhead but I've had problems with Sony portable CD players. The first one broke after a year and a half (no warrenty) and I stupidly bought another, which broke within 6 months. I got it fixed under warrenty, but when I got it back two months later it promptly broke again. I did not put either under anything but normal conditions. I now have a Panasonic and it's never given me any trouble.