For Fun Question: Your First violin?

Bell

Ha, a barn auction. It was a really awful american factory-pressed violin worth no more than a 100 dollars and sounding as though it was worth less. My mother got it, and I was in no way interested...until I accidentally got a fiddle CD. I changed my tune, got the violin fixed, and learned to play. I now, luckily, am borrowing my grandfather's violin which I adore. However, I'll always hold a special place in my heart for my first violin - my water wings.

I'm not sure if it was my first, but I do remember a 3/4 size violin that my dad stained dark brown and varnished. I thought it was wonderful until someone sprayed insect spray on something that crawled out of a sound hole and the varnish disappeared.

I was very fortunate to get my current violin when I was in my teens just for the cost of the repairs (from my ex-teacher)$150 for a lovely old German violin. I've also had the man across the road see me performing somewhere and give me his old French violin AND pick up another which I gave to a student.

Can't wait to hear the 'doozie' from you, Bell. Do we really have to wait??? frown.gif

Tara

Another teacher gave me his Dodd bow. Lucky girl, heh?

Ok, Ok

Well, 'bout 10 years ago, my daughter Becky was taking dance lessons from someone who lived in the city (NYC), here in NJ and he brought in a stack o' instruments to market to us NJ housewives (as a music teacher had passed away in his apt. building and he was to sell these instruments). On the dance studio floor was this beat up violin with mismatched pegs/etc. I took it to a shop and they said it would be good to practice on but the bow was probably better than the violin. I bought it all for 75 bucks.

Ten years goes by and the violin in old case is propped up against the wall in the dining room (case tattered). I vacumn around it, life goes on... Becky is now off to college, I retired from breeding/showing cats, have all this time. I think, what the hey, maybe I can do this. I take the violin to a well known luthier for a set up and they said it was worth at least a 1,000 so I went for an appraisel for insurance purposes. (no label in this instrument) What they certified was that this is an Italian Guarnerius (model) worth 15K and they wanted to sell it on consignment. Everyone is telling me to sell it. No way.

When I had the bow rehaired (a Tourte copy) another luthier (who really hates the first shop) said, "Lady, this ain't no Italian Guarnerius". So-o, who cares? It sounds wonderful. I'm lucky to have it. My teacher and I will go to her appraisor in Philly someday to exactly figure out just WHAT this is. In any case, now I have to get good enough to justify playing such a wonderful instrument. I've been playing 3 hours a day for the last three months like there is this other person's spirit who flew into me. I'm possessed, ha,ha.

Nice story, don't you think?

..Jackie

My first "violin" was a turkey stuffing box filled with newsprint with a ruler glued on as a fingerboard. The bow was a dowel with a rectangular piece attached at one end as a frog. After I got the motions down, I went on to a real 1/10th or 1/16th, probably the 1/16th since one of my childhood nicknames was "runt" in Kutchi.

-Aman

Well, I first played the violin aged 9, using a friend's school instrument. I loved it straight away, and from that point on decided that I WOULD play the violin. Unfortunately, I'd just taken up the clarinet. Then, aged 12, I went into a local guitar store which knew nothing about violins. I spotted a lonely-looking violin right at the back of the shop, with no strings, bridge, case or bow. With the £14 I's been given for my birthday, I finally plucked up the courage to ask the scary-looking shop assistant if it was for sale. He said I could have it for £5 (about $8 I think). I bought it, even though it was a 1/2 size and already far too small for me - it was a violin! I bought a bridge and some strings, made it just about playable, and started scratching away.

That was 7 years ago and my enthusiasm for the violin is as strong as ever. 3 violins later, I still have that 1/2 size Skylark sitting in my bedroom. It's not worth more than I paid for it, but I'll never part with it. I still remember the magic of drawing the bow across the strings for the first time. Incidentally, I gave up the clarinet and sold it to buy a better violin!

[This message has been edited by natnot (edited 08-26-2001).]

I bought my first violin almost two years ago at a second-hand store. It was a cheap Anton Breton all taken apart. I didn't know anything about violins except that I wanted to play it. So we went to a music store and looked at their violins and bought all the missing pieces. Then I bought a five dollar book on how to tune and play it. It sounded awful! I have a new violin from Romania now, but I'm looking for an old violin on Ebay since our local music store has super inflated prices and the store owner is condescending.

Jackie, cool story!

Ben, NICE violin!

~ Tashka

~Tashka

My first violin was a rental, at age 9. I still have the little bow. Then I got a violin that I will always treasure.

My dream violin came UPS from E-Bay on the day of my 50th wedding anniversary in July.

I was so thrilled, it was so beautiful, and it sounds great for a new instrument.

Does anyone else have one of those highly flamed violins from Dandy Strings in Canada, that they sell on E-Bay?

Millie

My great uncle made violins (early 1900s). Don't know if he ever sold any. His name was O. St Pierre. I was left with 2 1/2 of them in various stages of neglect. I doctored them up and attempted playing them. I sounded at least as good as fingernails on the chalk board. (I've since gotten better.) I play my own violins now and really enjoy it.

Pete

p.s. That's an excellent story!

[This message has been edited by wolfnote (edited 08-26-2001).]

My first violin is my last:

I fell in love with the sound of the violin from the first time I played one.

I immediately knew I wanted to buy a violin and began the venture of trying out many.

When I discovered that a past student was selling the one with which she successfully auditioned for Curtis, I tried it out and it was a love match, although I felt sorry for the violin's having to put up with my years of sawing away upon her.

This violin hasn't minded me too much, and she give backs everything my beginner's hands ask of her.

I was lucky. She's good enough to perform in any orchestra anywhere. And one day I'll pass her onto my beautiful daughter.

Best regards,

Theresa

My first was a Suzuki-Meisel violin, full size (I started at 12). My parents bought it from some friends for about $200 and I sold it last year for $300, which went entirely towards the new violin. I don't think the friends knew what it was worth. It was a nice beginner's violin, hardly great but capable of sounding more or less decent once I bought a better bow. My first bow was a cheapo fiberglass that I got rid of in a hurry.

Mine was a chinese made mass produced violin which sounded horrid. The funniest thing was when I first own it, I had no idea that it sounded horrible, just thought that it's me till my teacher insisted that I not take any exam with this violin. Now that I have changed another better violin (still chinese made), I realised that what a great difference!

[This message has been edited by Sound Dreamer (edited 08-26-2001).]

The first violin I actually played on was a cardboard box with strings when I was nine. It was mine for the last few weeks of school, and I wouldn't pick up another instrument for half a year.

My first violin that I could actually bring home and play on was actually a violin with viola strings (I was too tiny in the third grade to have a viola). That changed when before six grade I switched to violin. It was a 3/4 size, dark red and brown, scratched up on a few places. I was renting it for $15 a month from a rip-off music store we have here. I don't remember the sound very well but it wasn't too great. I've had three violins since then. The third, my current violin, is wonderful. I'll never part with it like I have my other three.

The first violin I played (other than the 16th and full size instruments I played on left from an older brother and sister's violin attempts) was a 1/2 size rented from the suzuki program where I took lessons. the First violin I ever owned was a nice chineese violin purchased from a violin shop in Olympia Washington a present for my 10th birthday. I still have this violin and although I should probably sell it I don't really want to part with it, however convienence may prevail one of these days.

The violin I own now is a full size (or possibly 7/8) I bought it when after starting lessons again after an absence of about 2 years I realized I needed a full size instrument. It is a French Lenoir violin made around 1900, and I absolutly love it. I don't know what changed but in the past two years I really have come to love music and the violin more than I ever did before

I'm sorry if I'm not making sense this is my first post after nidnight and I have high school registration tommorrow.

quote:

Originally posted by Bell:

Isn't it weird. These instruments will go on for hundreds of years, long after we are gone.Maybe alittle bit of whomever owned/played will be a part of that, too.

..Jackie

There is something to that. My baby has no label inside. Here are some pics of Max.

http://home.mpinet.net/alpaca/v1.jpg http://home.mpinet.net/alpaca/v3.jpg http://home.mpinet.net/alpaca/v5.jpg

It is really odd, but there are some real odd vibes I get when playing some music. It is almost as if it remembers playing the same tune before. An investment of love into a musical instrument is never wasted or forgotten. They do remember.

I am glad I am Max's caretaker right now.

smile.gif

Don Crandall