Maestronet Forums

Vengerov's New CD: "Vengerov & Vertuosi"

illuminatus

This is the new CD from EMI Classics. He plays mostly light pieces. It's almost like Perlman's A la Carte. His tune was surprisingly relaxed. Is it because of the baroque violin or the music? Anyway, if you are into "desert" pieces, you might want to buy this. It goes well with a Sunday brunch. smile.gif

Hi Pheobe

Of course I was there.... Further details are in the guest book on Mathieu's website. It was a really exciting evening, a new concerto (well, the first movement anyway)and some stunning playing from Mr Vengerov as usual. Not the usual sort of concert, more a show I suppose but..well you know in my eyes he can do no wrong. And he even signed my Shchedrin score for me afterwards.

Jane

How interesting!

When I was in the US I bought some CD's as usual, and I thought to take one of Vengerov, to see how he really plays (I didn't buy one before, as CD's of him are not subsidized since they are all recent recordings).

Interesting (and very virtuosic, of course). Don't agree with everything though.

But what I saw on the write up on the cover was that he now lives in Israel! And I didn't even know it!

Does anyone know what affiliation he has to Israel? I've never heard the name Vengerov, before HIM!

S.Taylor

Jerusalem, Israel.

[This message has been edited by staylor (edited 08-02-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by staylor:

How interesting!

When I was in the US I bought some CD's as usual, and I thought to take one of Vengerov, to see how he really plays (I didn't buy one before, as CD's of him are not subsidized since they are all recent recordings).

Interesting (and very virtuosic, of course). Don't agree with everything though.

But what I saw on the write up on the cover was that he now lives in Israel! And I didn't even know it!

Does anyone know what affiliation he has to Israel? I've never heard the name Vengerov, before HIM!

S.Taylor

Jerusalem, Israel.

[This message has been edited by staylor (edited 08-02-2001).]

his parents live in Israel. He is judish. But he has an apartment in Montecarlo as well.

Regarding the new CD, I think it is not on his top level. Probably he is not practicing that much. However, it is of course, a good level. But not Vengerov's level.

I had the fortune to see him live a couple of months ago. It was the best playing I have _seen_ before, and some of the best I have ever heard.

I came to the concert impressed with him, and left enthralled. He played so much better than in any of his recordings that I owned, more loose, more emotion, more everything.

Of course I could see how his movements could distract someone, he was all over the place!

If you want to know about Maxim Vengerov then visit Mathieu's website http://perso.infonie.fr/mathieu12/ Anything you may need to know about him is there.

However, and I don't know how many times I have said this, (and I don't care I'll keep on saying it....and sorry if I'm boring you wink.gif ) but you have to see this guy, hear him, and feel his music live in performance. CDs are OK, but there is a charisma and a magic about Maxim's live performances that I have not experienced with anyone else (and I do keep trying). He really touches my soul, and I don't know what it is but it keeps me smiling for ages afterwards when I recall the experience.

Please, please if you get the opportunity ( no, make the opportunity)and go and see him.

Jane

I thought Vengerov lived in Amsterdam. Or he did a couple of years ago. He owns a house in Israel that he bought for his family to live in, and as far as I know spends a lot of his holidays there. But if you really think about it, someone who travels that much doesn't live anywhere....

Phoebe

That's what I thought too. But maybe he has "moved" from Amsterdam to Monte Carlo. Or maybe he has two apartments! In any case his folks live in Tel Aviv.

However, I don't think he has much chance to put his feet down anywhere between concert halls, hotel rooms and airports when you look at his schedule.

Jane

• 2 weeks later...

I finaly got a chance to listen to this CD.

The arrangements are quite good -- he takes advantage of the backup band, so to speak, to do some nifty things in Round of the Goblins, in particular.

The playing is also good; the atmosphere has a nice charge of 'live performance' to it, and the playing is consequently not flawless, but Vengerov does have tremendous technique, of course.

I think I would be more enamored of this if I had seen/heard it live, or if it were on DVD; preserved just on CD, something is lacking. I didn't buy this CD; despite the novelty of the arrangements, I didn't think that I would come back to this disc rather than seeking out my other favorites for short showpieces.