Sign in to follow this  
dmgardner

Any students of Ray Montoni out there?

I was wondering if there were any students of Raymond Montoni out there. I have been playing for quite a few years and attribute my skill to Ray and his style of teaching. Ever since he passed away this last year, I have been lamenting his loss.

I had to respond, yes I miss him too. Ray taught my daughter (viola) and several of my friends. He is very much missed by everyone in our area (PA). When did you study with him? Was it in VA, or PA?

It's funny, but my daughter played with a cellist who shares your surname name (I'm sure he a different Gardner, though - student at Cornell).

JFK,

I studied violin and viola with Ray in the 80's in Chesterfield Co. VA. He formed the way I ATTACK the instrument. He always said," If you make a mistake, let me hear it."

He hated timid viola playing. I love the way he approached the viola as a solo instrument.

[This message has been edited by dmgardner (edited 07-13-2001).]

Hi David,

Remember some of his sayings...

Well at least when my daughter was taking lessons...

The only violinist who could turn a phrase _____

"I have to change that"...

"Uh Huh"

"...that simply won't do"

I really liked talking with him. He was quite a musician, and very dedicated. I wish he finished his book. It was very good. Did you know that Sherry Kloss was one of his students prior to Julliard? Then about his time at the Hartt School. Oh, I do miss talking with him.

David,

This is incredible! What a small world. Did you happen to know Dvorah Sinoff too? I met her not too long ago and I believe she was at your HS too, also a student of Ray's. She was talking about the van... and trips. He really was quite a guy,... Sherry teaches at Ball State now.

Gee it's really good to meet you David. I should get my daughter on here because she has more 'Montoni' memories as his student than I do -- including his anti-technology jokes.

-J-

I am really stupid....I looked at my yearbook and realized I got the wrong name. I went to school with a violist named Sherry Gross. OOOPS. I DID work with Sherry Kloss in a Summer program that Ray set up in Chester, VA. She came as part of the faculty to help Ray. She was very energetic and fun to work with. She was also the soloist for a concert we did with the Richmond Philharmonic. She played Bruch's Scottish Fantasy. What an experience!

David,

I like your web site! We're hoping to 'vacation' to Williamsburg, not sure yet. If we do, I'm definitely going to say 'hi'. :-)

Later,

Jen

On 7/12/2001 at 2:22 PM, dmgardner said:

I was wondering if there were any students of Raymond Montoni out there. I have been playing for quite a few years and attribute my skill to Ray and his style of teaching. Ever since he passed away this last year, I have been lamenting his loss.

This is Terry Shelburne.  I grew up in Chester(Enon), VA.  Went to Chester Intermediate and Thomas Dale High School.  I started taking private lessons(violin) from Mr. Montoni in the mid to late ‘70s through about ‘81.  He also conducted an all county(Chesterfield) orchestra I was in and filled in once for the Musician’s Club orchestra of Richmond that I played in.  He was a character.  “Your bow arm is like a wet noodle.”  “I can tell as soon as you walk in the door whether or not you have practiced.”  “What I ought to do next time that you show up without practicing is take your money and send you home.”  I think I only fooled him one time.  “So, you want to be a fiddler?  You’re going to have to play faster than that!”  “You played that bad note very well.”  He used to give me a work out.  Thanks for this!  God bless.