Maestronet Forums

any shows or movies associated with violin?

Cerulean

Hi

I do not know if this is relevant in the forum but I was just wondering if there are movies or shows that feature violins?

I do not care whether it is fictional or non fictional....

If so, I would be most interested in seeing it. I heard so much about "Red Violin"

Did anyone see it?

There are some old movies that feature violinist/violin.

Intermezzo (with Ingrid Bergman, Seidel and Kaufman playing in the soundtrack)

Humoresque (Stern playing in the soundtrack)

They shall have music (with Heifetz)

Carnegie Hall (with Heifetz, among a host of other greats)

Melody for three (with Seidel in the soundtrack)

Star is born (with Liz Taylor, Michael Rabin did soundtrack for one of the character who is a violinist)

Toscha

[This message has been edited by Toscha (edited 07-04-2001).]

"Amadeus", of course. English. And "Fiddler on the Roof." Not directly violins but hey.

I am more familiar with books. Every violinist in the world must read:

Canone Inverso by Paolo Maurensig. An absolute must-read. Really. Get it. US$12 you will NOT regret spending.

The Mozart Season by Virginia Euwer Wolff. A kids book but very entertaining.

Midnight Hour Encores by Bruce Brooks. Okay, so it's about a cello. Deal with it. smile.gif

The Sandy Bottom Orchestra by Garisson Keillor. Another delightful kid's book.

[This message has been edited by Rosie (edited 07-04-2001).]

Hey thanks a lot people

I will personally check the movies out....

Now that someone has mentioned it, I remembered catching a glimpse of "Amadeus" when I was younger.

However since I did not appreciate classical music at that time....I did not really think much about that Amadeus movie...

If I remember correctly, the first part shows an old man telling the viewers about his life and he is in fact Mozart (?)...I am not too sure..

quote:

Originally posted by illuminatus:

I don't quite find this amusing.

Huh? The Red Violin? NOT amusing? A guy having sex with a girl WHILE he is playing his violin? What could be more amusing than that?? You can't tell me you didn't burst out laughing when you saw that part. Well, I know I did, at least.

Oh, and Cerulean, the old man in Amadeus is supposed to be Salieri.

Amadeus is one of my favorite movies of all times! I highly recommend it. There is another movie called the Sandy Bottom Orchestra that has been recommended to me, although I have not seen it yet. Apparently (what I have been told), it is about a girl who loves violin and struggles to fit in because she grows up in an area where music is not appreciated…

I watched a Romainian Movie about a Romainian

violinist/composer 23 years ago. It was so beautiful. The movie was about his music, his love and his whole life. He only lived 29 years. I forgot the title of the movie, it was the name of the violinist.

[This message has been edited by MaxB (edited 07-05-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Rosie:

Every violinist in the world must read:

Canone Inverso by Paolo Maurensig. An absolute must-read. Really. Get it. US$12 you will NOT regret spending.

I bought this book two days ago after seeing the cover with the pretty violin smile.gif ...it really is a great book. I'm enjoying it.

Speaking of books, An Equal Music is really good, too. Mary Higgens Clark's "All Through the Night" is about a violinist who is going to be playing at Carnegie Hall. It's more of a mystery/detective kind of book, but I enjoyed the violin/musical parts of it.

Hi,

If you do understand French and have access to a video store with French movies:

"un coeur en hiver", with Emmanuelle Beart (!) who mimics the Ravel G minor sonata very realistically.

"les cachetonneurs", with Ivry Gitlis playing an obnoxious violin professor.

Cheers,

Pascal.

Don't forget "Hollywood Canteen". It has a wonderful duet by Joseph Szigeti and Jack Benny. Szigeti also plays Francois Schubert's "The Bee". It's the only instance of Szigeti on film that I am aware of. It's worth wading through this otherwise boring film to find this episode. I gather that the film was actually a big hit in the 40's.

Ron