Okay to hang violin on wall?

Hello,

I posted this question twice when the board was taking a nose dive, so forgive me if you're reading this for the third time. Is it all right to hang my violin (brand new--not delicate) on the wall in a shady spot? If it is, it would get played about twice as often as having to take it out of the case every time. I'd be interested in your responses, till then it's on the wall.

Teri

Watch out for any pet birds, too.

I had an Amazon parrot in a cage. It figured out how to undo the latch, so I jammed it shut. One day, while I was at work, the parrot figured out how to un-jam it. He got out and had a blast in my apartment all day, chewing things up. My good old German fiddle was safe, because the case was closed, but I had just bought a new electric ZETA fiddle which was laying out in the open case. The bird sat on the strings and unscrewed all four fine tuners and dropped them on the floor. He picked off one or two plastic screw covers and chewed off all the rubber from the volume knob.

So (back to the topic) if you leave the violin out of its case, be sure it's safe from *all* the pets.

Guess the bird told you, huh Suzanne? laugh.gif

I do put mine away every time I play it, and it doesn't make me think about her less at all. I nfact most days I itch to get all my work done so I can go play! Of course, my house is full of people and pets, and it is very dry. I obviously don't live in the right condtions for leaving Grace out of her case!

Yes, it was hard to admit that I got outsmarted by a parrot.

He also chewed all the rubber programming buttons on my electric keyboard down to the level of the console. Since I'm not as much in love with keyboards, that was a minor offense compared to the fiddle damage. I ended up giving the bird to my sister shortly afterwards. A few years later, it attacked her husband, so they gave it away.

Now, we have a dog named Maude who isn't allowed in the house, so (yes, I *was* eventually coming back to the topic) the fiddles stay out all the time. I put the cases on one of those adjustable stands made for two stacked electric keyboards. I leave the lids open most of the time, so I can just pick up either one anytime, and I don't have to worry about it falling off the wall (as HKV mentioned), or knocking it off a table, or sitting on it. (I'll tell that story later).

As long as you've got safe & secure hooks, I'd say sure. My cello stands open in a corner (even with my two little racing dogs running around), and my bow hangs on the wall next to it. I do think you should make sure to have something that won't make any scratches if you miss when you're hanging it up.

Many of the string players I know either leave their instruments out, or at least leave their cases open, and they all think they play better that way - as long as the humidity is ok, as someone else mentioned.

• 21 years later...

I was toying with the idea of putting my Violin on the wall. My house is very dusty And the only walls I have are outside and there’s a floor  register the blows heat around.  So I have every Reason why you should not hang your violin on the well. So I started out design a nice wooden hanger for the violin. That worked out good but I still have the Elements to workout. So what I did I built a nice wooden box to hang on the wall and in this box I put my violin hanger The box has two doors in the front that open like shutters. The bow Is hanging on the side of the box And I can put other things in there as well the shoulder rest a cleaning cloth The Resin and a few packages of strings. Make sure you screw the box into a wall stud I put a 1 inch block that sits between the wall and the box so the box does not set flat against the outside wall that cares that problem. When I go into the music room I open the box and I’m ready to go all day long without having to deal with the case. Two set violin would be proud of me I’m sure. 

If you visit almost any violin shop, even high level ones, you will find many violins hanging by the scroll or in open cubbies, exposed to the air of the room.   Obviously, leaving an instrument out of its case is more risky than its being snuggly in its case, but if you are careful not to leave  the instrument on the seat of a chair or couch or randomly on the floor it should be fairly safe.  To keep it clean wipe it regularly with a dry soft cloth.