Maestronet Forums

Maestronet Gallery

lwl

quote:

Originally posted by Lymond:

Go listen to my one-take wonder... ok... so maybe it's not that good, but listen to it anyway. I'll be the first to criticize it. For some reason, I tend not to vibrate on the first finger... I never noticed it before.

It sounded nice, Lymond. I think vibrating on the first finger is hard for everyone, particularly on the viola. For me, I have to force it to get moving, whereas the other fingers don't require the whip.

Do you like that piece, by the way? Bloch's music bores me out of my skull.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, count me in. I'll post today (10/25/01) a couple. One is really "schmaltzy" and the other one is a piece recorded with orchestra.

Thanks!

P.S. I just went to listen. you guys are ALL GOOD! Lymond...Yikes, that's a nice warm sound you get on that viola!

[This message has been edited by MuzkGuy (edited 10-25-2001).]

Yes, that's the one. At first listening I thought "geez, this guy is really good! And really well recorded too." Then, after a few more listenings, I began to get an uneasy feeling about it. Something just not right, pitch-wise. Nothing like bad intonation, but more subtle, like maybe the temperment was not right. Maybe it was everyone is playing in perfect equal-temperment where you'd expect the scales to be tempered according to the key.

So I decided to try to find out who Muzkguy is. Muzguy (aka Kirk Hunter) is not hiding anything, he's posted a website that leads you right to this page: http://www.ilio.com/ilio/kirkhun/index.html

It seems Mr. Hunter has put together an incredible collection of sound-samples of stringed instruments that can be used with a sequencer.

How about it Muzkguy? Wanna come clean, or are we all wet?

Either way, my hat's off to you for either great playing, or an outstanding job with your samples.

I hide nothing. smile.gif I told Lydia that one of the pieces was indeed a midi piece. However, the other one is actually me playing...the one without the "orchestra" in the background. You guys have good ears for sure! smile.gif

Actually, if you really want to hear the rest of the string samples, you can go to http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com However, I'm NOT trying to "sell" y'all on anything...I'm still a violinist/composer above all else.

Kirk

[This message has been edited by MuzkGuy (edited 10-29-2001).]

Hello,

I've just joined this list (and still figuring out how it works). Your idea has inspired me! Hopefully in the next weeks I'll post a sound file (need to check how the microphone works etc., but especially get back to my usual practise sessions!!!)

Regards,

Ondine

quote:

Originally posted by lwl:

Three more clips: one from vieuxtemps, and two from MuzkGuy.

Enjoy.

Not sure I can without getting into trouble, Lydia! I'm working on the theory that people picked something they either felt good about or good at.

Yourself, for example--you are very exact in your speech, you have a digital background, you seem soberly objective. However, I've had a look at your homepage, and now I hear your ethereal, bird flittering effortlessly-in-the-trees (yet very challenging of course) rendition, and I sense your emotional compass a bit more.

Now, HKV--about what I would have expected, pushing himself 110%, right on the edge of what he's capable of, whirling and spinning to keep up with three opponents at once.

And yes, our old rhymin' Lymond, a self confident young man, I thought, but half apologizing for his excellent rendering of that spooky little solemn piece. (I certainly heard no vibrato fault in it, Lymond. Very nice.)

Oldgeezer, an unrestrainedly old-fashioned romantic, and more cheerful than I expected, too!

vieuxtemps, Aman, you don't reveal yourself quite as much--a very intelligent, restrained and correct, very studious selection, but there is more, simmering underneath, yes?

Perhaps I'd better not go on; I don't want to be too precious here! Thanks, everyone, you have inspired me to get back to my practicing.

Mark

QUOTE]Originally posted by lwl:

An interesting statement! Care to explain a bit more? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Mark_W (edited 10-29-2001).]

For something completely different, I have a friend trying to figure out how to post something from a radio show we did not long ago.

Warning: it's fiddling (hey, I'm not ashamed), and should be taken as such. The selection is Fisher's Hornpipe (played, of course, as a fast reel.)

If my compatriot (co-conspirator) can figure out how to do it, I'll get it up there.

I have finally had a chance to calmly (with no interrumptions) listen to all the sound files posted. I'm very impressed and makes me feel slightly shy at posting one, but I will in the next few weeks. I'll post another message (new topic) on some help/advise - in the meantime, thank all of you for sharing your sound files, they are very inspiring!

• 2 weeks later...

Five new files:

Gary (Tar Road to Sligo)

Mu0n (Sitt Concertino #3)

SteveLaBonne (Bach E major concerto)

toc (Fisher's Hornpipe)

and someone anonymous, playing Kreisler's Caprice Viennois.

(Sorry, I still haven't managed to deal with the cello files. And Mu0n, I had to do some reconstructive surgery on the chopped-up MP3 you sent me...)

quote:

Originally posted by lwl:

Five new files:

Gary (Tar Road to Sligo)

Mu0n (Sitt Concertino #3)

SteveLaBonne (Bach E major concerto)

toc (Fisher's Hornpipe)

and someone anonymous, playing Kreisler's Caprice Viennois.

lwl,

Would it be possible to post the new clips at the bottom of the list, it will make it easier to find them instead of mixed in with the others?

Or, mark them with a 'new' gif until something even 'newer' comes in....

Len

quote:

Originally posted by lzaikoski:

lwl,

Would it be possible to post the new clips at the bottom of the list, it will make it easier to find them instead of mixed in with the others?

Or, mark them with a 'new' gif until something even 'newer' comes in....

Len

Most clips have dates of recording, though.

Hi,

Thanks for posting my Fisher's Hornpipe, even though it probably seems kinda incongruous with the rest of the selections...a non-music-reading fiddler competing with all you trained folks who actually know what you are doing.

Rainyann, you are right...we have a great time playing music, and sometimes the infectiousness of the tune comes out in whoops and hollers.

For the record (I see date is listed as unknown), the clip is from a live radio concert we did at WRPI in Troy, N.Y., on Sept. 3, 2001.

toc