Maestronet Gallery

lwl

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by vieuxtemps:

Any other additions to the Gallery? I just landed back on the straight path yesterday: more than 1 hr of practice per day. As soon as I can stand to hear myself, I'll record clips of Bach's Sonata and Bruch's Concerto #1 in G Minor.

-Aman

If someone plays 1% of what I can play, I want to hear it, me the 2-year beginner.

If you play less than 1%, stop lying!

Hey!! I think I figured out how to do this all by myself (of course after following the

directions posted by MuOn smile.gif) I think it would be great fun to hear others no matter at what level they perform. No one will be wondering where I have hidden my talents for all these years that's for sure but hey, you can't kick me out either!

Becky

(Who would rather have a wisdom tooth pulled out that perform an audition!)

• 2 weeks later...

I’m kicking this up to the top again. C’mon boys and girls, we want to hear everybody play. Here’s what I learned making a clip for lwl’s Maestronet gallery.

I recorded at my son’s place with his computer. I’m not ashamed of the result but I learned a bit and am passing on some hints. I played sitting down with a Shure SM-58 mike hanging about 3 feet above the violin. My son added a guitar accompaniment and a little reverb.

The clip is rhythmically challenged. Playing with headphones and a click track for your first recording attempt is not a good idea. My son wanted a click track so he could easily put the guitar in later. You hear both the click track and fiddle from the mike in the headphones and it isn’t the same as the sound under the ear. I lost the click track and tried to run and catch it. If I try to use a click track again it will be only in the right ear with a small earbud type headphone and the fiddle under the ear as usual.

Give yourself plenty of time to get warmed up, particularly if you are in unfamiliar surroundings. Don’t just yank the fiddle out of the case and go. I did take the time to make sure the tuning was right on with a tuner. Digital recording shows up everything and you can hear the nervousness. I would take more care if I do this again, even if it is just for fun.

Don’t play long notes on open strings if you don’t have to. I was trying to keep it simple. Restraining the urge to embellish was correct but playing open strings was wrong. My old student violin is loud and harsh and the open strings scream.

Sounds like an interesting idea.

We can set up the MP3 files here on Maestronet on a new page called "Players Hall" or something close. We'd prefer not to use “Gallery” since it’s already used for our violin photos.

If Iwl is willing to volunteer to do the MP3 conversion that’s great. He can then email us the file with the relevant info and we will post it on the site.

We think the files should be dated which would allow them to expire after a predetermined length of time.

John

If the Maestronet folks want to do this directly, kudos to them -- I'll stay out of the process entirely.

(I've gotten two submissions thus far. I'd been holding off on putting up the page 'til I got a few more. Figured I'd dynamically generate the sound links and tables out of d a data file, rather than trying to maintain HTML for it.)

Lydia,

Keep the faith. This is a good project and I'd love to get on board except you well know I am technologically challenged. (I also have two huge research papers due by the middle of July, but after that another window of opportunity will briefly open.)

Old Geezer: Thanks for the suggestions. If I do get on board for this project, I'll pass on all that's posted here to our computer tech at school if she thinks she can record me.

Now to figure out what to play.....if I do this......maybe a bit of the Seitz for a very good laugh.

Best regards,

Theresa

I played Bruch 1st mvmt for a friend yesterday, and we both agree that some of the passages sound like "I didn't practice them and just blew them off." What a coincidence, because...Never mind. If all goes according to plan, my brother will wake me up in 4 hours, I will get out of bed, tie up a few loose ends (I leave for Italy this afternoon; I'm all packed), and when that's done I'll tune my violin full of new strings, warm up briefly, and then I will record 1 minute each of Bach and Bruch. Don't worry, I'll omit as much nasty 1st movement as I can. I might do 10-15 seconds of each Bach mvmt and 15-20 seconds of each Bruch mvmt. Or I'll pick a couple contrasting mvmts, 1 Bach and 1 Bruch.

Sorry I haven't gotten to it sooner, and sorry I'm jeopardizing whether I do it or not since I've saved it for the last minute. Have you considered lighting a few fires under people's asses? Maybe renewing the post has already done it.

-Aman

I was ready to record five minutes ago, but Sound Recorder wouldn't pick up anything from the mic. My brother messed around with some setting elsewhere and I could hear stuff from the speaker (via the mic). But the **** Sound Recorder isn't working, and neither is Music Match. I have to leave for the airport in 40 minutes, and I still have to get some things together. I should be home by 10 p.m. on the 17th; if I am an no one's in bed yet, I'll record. I promise. (I'm not a politician, I'm just unlucky!)

-Aman

quote:

Originally posted by vieuxtemps:

I was ready to record five minutes ago, but Sound Recorder wouldn't pick up anything from the mic. My brother messed around with some setting elsewhere and I could hear stuff from the speaker (via the mic). But the **** Sound Recorder isn't working, and neither is Music Match. I have to leave for the airport in 40 minutes, and I still have to get some things together. I should be home by 10 p.m. on the 17th; if I am an no one's in bed yet, I'll record. I promise. (I'm not a politician, I'm just unlucky!)

-Aman

Instructions for when you get back: Either double click on the speaker phone icon in the system tray (assuming you're using Windows), or if it's not there, go in the control panel, and into sound config or something similar.

Then, you should see sliders for different sound sources: mic, line-out, wave, etc. These are the playback settings. You need to go into the recording settings through the file menu of that sound setting window, in options (I don't remember the exact terms). When you see sliders for the various recording devices, you'll see that only one box can be checked - select the mic one.

• 3 months later...

lydia,

There are unclosed tables, it won't work in Netscape.

Add another /TABLE before the /BODY and all should be peachy.

But I don't like peaches.

At least not as much as I like strawberries.

I'm suddenly very sad that the creator of peachy picked the wrong fruit. ¬_¬

Strawberryry would be so much more fun to use in this situation.

[This message has been edited by plateau (edited 10-22-2001).]

First of all, I guess either Lydia fixed the problem with the table or it works fine in Netscape 6. Thanks, Lydia!

Second: Since oldgeezer put a big "N" under "Criticism?", that's of course the clip I most wanted to comment on...not to criticize but to compliment. I really enjoyed it. So am I breaking a rule to say that? wink.gif I enjoyed all the other clips as well and admire everyone who is brave enough to share. I'm certainly not there yet but plan to be sometime. I'd be more comfortable critiquing others' playing if I knew what in particular you wanted us to pay attention to, so maybe folks who've submitted clips with something in mind could include that information in a post here.

I thought there was a very noticeable difference in the quality of recording for oldgeezer's clip compared to the others. It seemed richer and clearer in a way that seems to be due to more than the quality of the playing. What did you use to make the recording?

Thanks, plateau -- I've fixed it. (Forgot I used a table to make the border layout work right, and it looked fine in IE 4.)

Got to add my compliments to the previous ones on oldgeezer. He made some extremely self-deprecating remarks at the beginning of this thread, which were entirely unwarranted. Nice guitar playing, too.

I suspect most of the sound clips are taken using the line-in or microphone recording capability of a computer, which often produces less than good tonal results. Also, MP3 conversion, even at this high sound quality, still does some odd things to the tone of some violins; I have yet, for instance, to make an MP3 of a track from a Milstein CD where the sound quality of his violin doesn't have an oddly glassy quality. (I hate the copy protection mechanisms that minidiscs were burdened with in order to prevent piracy; for my clips, for instance, minidisc digital stereo is being converted down to analog mono at a much lower sampling rate, and the further conversion to MP3 does not seem to help the already very dry sound from the acoustics of the hall.)

Anyway, the idea of having this archive is not really criticism, though the Y/N is there so people can feel free (or not) to make remarks about others in public. Conceptually, it's just about sharing -- fixing sound signatures to names, so to speak.

Consequently, no matter what your current level of playing, you shouldn't be afraid to submit something. It doesn't need to be your best playing, or even playing you're particularly proud of, or heck, playing that doesn't make you cringe when you hear yourself. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by lwl (edited 10-22-2001).]

Bleeeeh!! Windows 95 Sound Recorder is a terrible mismatch with my old Shure 58 mic from 20 years ago. I don't have anything to check the input impedance, either.

I'll have to find another way of showing just how badly I play the Kreutzer # 2.

I've enjoyed all the clips so far. In some way it actualizes the personalities I've pictured, but haven't been able to flesh out from the writing styles.

Mark_W

[This message has been edited by Mark_W (edited 10-23-2001).]

Thanks for the complements. Don’t confuse playing with recording technique. There is some sound processing with reverb and compression on my clip. I commented before in this thread on how it was made. My son is a rock guitar player and used a home recording program called Cubasis. He has plenty of experience with recording equipment.

If you use a cheap mike to a minidisk or tape recorder or straight into the computer you won’t get great results. A bit better equipment doesn’t have to be really expensive. Or you can make friends with a heavy metal rocker who has recording equipment and knows how to use it.