Maestronet Forums

shoulder-rest

gudrun walther

Hi! I´m playing the fiddle in various Folk Music bands and my main problem at the moment is my shoulder-rest. When I play very fast and I´m moving on stage, I start to sweat. Then my violin starts to slip away. To prevent it from slipping away, I try to press it a bit more to myself - then the shoulder rest starts moving...! I´m now even using a fan to cool down a bit but do not yet feel comfortable.

Does anybody know this problem????

all the best,

gudrun

You want your rest to grip the violin so it won't come loose, but not be so tight as to distort the back of the violin. The new Viva rests fit that bill! My rep actually demonstrates by swinging the violin around supported only by the rest. I don't recommend that practice, but it drives the point home.

Let me know if you want to try one.

Baby powder on your neck, chin, jaw, and collarbone (the whole area) -- put it on liberally BEFORE you get dressed. I hate it when I forget to put it on until I'm all decked out in long black! The baby powder seems to really help keep you dry. I use it on my hands, too, although I have a friend who can't play unless his hands are either sweaty or coated with lotion -- YUK.

Thank you all for the advide! Great! "nashville violins", have you got any adress where I could have a look at these shoulder rests (internet) or do you know who deals with them over here in Germany?

flamenco and D_A - I will try!!!

The trick with the rubber band doesn´t work...

WEll again, thank you - it´s really a great forum!!!!!!!!!

bye for now,

gudrun

Hi everybody! I had some gigs during the weekend and was away, so I couldn´t visit the forum. I´m still curious how YOU deal with problems like that and looking forward to more suggestions!

take care, gudrun.

PS: simon, thank you! Great that you like the music! more of my fiddling can be found at: http://www.king-walther-treyz.de

gudrun: no, actually i'd never heard of him. i looked for some sound clips on the web but the only clip i could find was "rfts" done by rich mullins. mullins usually wrote his own music and the style of that song fit in so well with his own that i never guessed it wasn't his own. that's kind of amusing seeing as how mullins was native american smile.gif he has some awesome rhytms and lyrics in his songs.

i couldn't get plougenast and passepartout to download last night, but i got them fine this morning. very interesting style.

In olden days, before all these new fangled shouler rests and such, players would put a hankie on their chin rest to absorb the sweat and prevent slippage. I also put a folded cloth between the instrument and my collarbone. this provides additional padding and support and makes playing more comfortable.

D

• 4 years later...

I've tried several "Kun-style" rests and the best one I've found for staying on my violin and not moving around or collapsing is Kun's new Voce rest (see here). The carbon fiber styling takes some getting used to (although it does make for a light and rigid rest) but the feet are a big improvement over the standard Kun style; they're wider and thus more stable, and grip the edge of the violin better. Also the distance between the feet can be adjusted in minute increments which allows a lot of flexibility in fit. -Steve

P.s. although Dougie Maclean is best known for his folk songs which he accompanies with guitar, he's a wonderful fiddler! I highly recommend his CD "Fiddle" on which he plays self-composed fiddle tunes (all instrumental except for one track, I think).

[edit: oops, sorry; didn't notice how old this thread was! Never mind...]

I purchased a piece of chamois at an automobile supply place (about $12). Cut it into a long rectangle. Had my wife sew down one edge so that I had a tube. The size of the tube was such that I could snuggly fit it over my chinrest. (I do not use one of the wide, over-th-tailpiece models. If you do, you will need to revise these instructions.) The portion of the "tube" not slipped over the chin rest is now doubled back to drape over the back edge of the fiddle. The tube is long enough so that it also serves as a small pad underneath between the fiddle and my shoulder. I also use a rubber band under and behind the chinrest to help secure the chamois tube. It works well and feels good. After a while, one should wash the chamois.

HS