Maestronet Forums

What is this obsession with Paganini???

Virtuoso kid

LongHair

"I consider Paganini the greatest violinist/composer of all time."

Have you ever heard of a German guy by the name of J.S. Bach?? I think most music scholars and historians would agree that Bach was the greatest composer who ever lived, because of his profound influence.

I thought LongHair meant Paganini was the greatist violinist-composer (person who was both) ever, but even if he meant greatest violinist AND greatest composer ever, I don't see how one can or should convince him otherwise. In 2000 my dad asked us who we thought was the greatest composer of the milennium. I was undecided as usual, and my brother chose Tchaikovsky since he likes his music the best. To him that was the best composer, and I can't think of any criteria that are incontrovertibly superior to others.

I just remembered: I played the Paganini Sonata in E minor for jazz and classical players of many instruments, and afterwards a good percussionist told me he loved Paganini's music. Bring on the percussionist jokes if you want, but this guy's bigger than most of you. Berlioz was a percussionist, and Paganini adored his (and most of all Beethoven's) music.

-Aman

quote:

Originally posted by Jon Griffith:

I never said he was less of a composer. I thought Staylor's comment about it being an arpeggiated accompaniment to the orchestra was an insult (it may well not have been) so I simply said that that's basically what Beethoven's concerto was and yet no one bashes it.

Who thinks It's an insult? Has anyone heard it?

quote:

Originally posted by LongHair:

Bach was a keyboard player who did violin on the side. He is my favorite composer (but not a violinist / composer).

I was just about to write something exactly like that after reading another post about 3 above yours...

Paganini, Ysaye, and Bartok are my favorite composers for violin.

Bach is my favorite composer for +2 strings.

Profofkofiev (i KNOW i didn't spell that right) was my favorite composer for symphony.

quote:

Originally posted by roman:

Basically it was a series of double stops that sounded like a laugh. It's hard to explain without playing it.

roman

ps. I guess just try and make a laughing sound with your violin and you will be pretty close.

Try listening to the Devil's Laughter Caprice - No. 13