Maestronet Forums

We really should even this out - best CELLIST in the world!!

nashsd

ok, so I'll start off.

Rostrapovich is an obvious choice although I haven't heard many of his recordings. Those of you not on my side of the Atlantic may not have come across Guy Johnston - he won the BBC Young Musician prize last year and was absolutely amazing. He's also doing the first night of the Proms (Elgar conc) in July so guess where I'll be!!

I have to say I agree with Guambaby - Yo-Yo is my favorite also. I was lucky enough to get a front row seat when he visited my city on his "Soul of the Tango" tour, and it was spectacular. I enjoy the diversity of the music he plays. He certainly is prolific with the recordings, but I don't feel that the performance quality is compromised (although I have a feeling some of you will disagree).

I haven't heard Rostropovich live. It's difficult to compare performers you've heard in person with those you've only heard on recordings. I could count the "famous" cellists I've heard live on one hand.

On recordings, I like Casals, DuPre, Rostropovich, Rose... I guess I'm not terribly discriminating, they all sound pretty good to me. The only recording I own that I just can't listen to is Heinrich Schiff's Bach Suites. Anyone want it?

Cellissima

Without a doubt, Rostropovich is the greatest living cellist. I heard him playing Dvorak concerto a few months ago. Everyone was so moved by his performance. I have never seen such an enthusiastic reaction from the audience.

Rostropovich is also an important cellist. He has had 170 works dedicated to him by important composers of the 20th centuries.

Hello... we want LIVING cellists (Piatigorsky is not that). Now that I've got that off my chest.

Rostropovich definately (haven't heard anything recent... how old is he now? 74?) is the best for recordings. No one (accepting Du Pre on the Elgar) can match the fire he puts into a single recording. Absolutely stunning... I particularly like his Dvorak.

Just because he's dead doesn't mean he's somehow worse than anyone today. And it didn't say anywhere that they somehow needed to alive(for this discussion). Rostropovich recently backed up Han-na Chang and now she has a recording deal with EMI. Maybe she's the next generation of great cellists because she's got the stamp of approval from Maisky and Rostropovich

You have to remember that people back then used GUT strings and it was harder to produce the magical sounds than today's synthetic metals.

Starker is GREAT but only in certain types of works.

My son and I saw Rostropovich play the Shostakovich (sp?) with the Dallas Symphony about 2 months ago. Wow.

He's certainly the best "really old guy who looked like he wouldn't survive the Shostakovich without the paramedics in attendance" in the world.

It's amazing how fast that old guy can move.

Never seen a 45 degree bent endpin, though.

When he was playing the Dvorak concerto, he seemed to be a bit struggling in the beginning, but he quickly gained the control. In the second and third movements, he was supreme. For me, there are Rostropovich... and other cellists.

quote:

Originally posted by PoorDad:

My son and I saw Rostropovich play the Shostakovich (sp?) with the Dallas Symphony about 2 months ago. Wow.

He's certainly the best "really old guy who looked like he wouldn't survive the Shostakovich without the paramedics in attendance" in the world.

It's amazing how fast that old guy can move.

Never seen a 45 degree bent endpin, though.

I agree, I love Rostropovich - his meticulous approach to music. He's a brilliant conductor too (have you seen the VHS of him conducting? He's marvelous! smile.gif )

I only heard Yo-Yo Ma on the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon movie. He's great too. Ofra Harnoy is also one of my favorite cellists.

I must cast a vote for Truls Mork.......

if you have heard his Prokofiev recording you know what I'm talking about (WOW)

second goes to slava, as he is no where near his peak any longer. (.... but he is the most important cellist ever to live if you like russian music.)

Yo-yo is also great, and can do most anything wth a cello (did you see the oscars....2-2-2-2-2-2-2... <- fingering)

lets not forget Starker, Schiff, etc.

No one has said Jacqueline du Pre? I love her. She is so passionate. Although I think she get a little too crazy with the Haydn Concertos, I still love her sound and her passion, and the way she is totally immersed in music making. I dont think anyone can set up the ending of the Elgar Concerto the way she does, right before the return to the opening chords of the first movement.

[This message has been edited by Earle29 (edited 05-06-2001).]

she died during the 80's from MS

I'd call her the "most passionate" but i wouldn't call her the best overall. It's hard to pick an overall "best" cellist because each is good at a specific type of thing. Like Starker wouldn't play the Elgar well, but he would play Kodaly magnificently

[This message has been edited by corncan (edited 05-07-2001).]