Maestronet Forums

Celtic fiddlers, what new tunes are you working on?

Yankee Fiddler

I've been working on Pachelbel's Frolics (who wrote that tune?), Jean's Reel, Give Me Your Hand (what a sweet piece), and a medley of two jigs I learned years ago from an old High Level Ranters LP: Hartigan's Fancy and Tobin's Favorite.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caleb, how bout a primer for those of us who have not even recorded onto wav or midi or mp3 files? I tried the other day and I got nothing. I used the record program which came with Windows but I haven't tried to record directly onto a cd yet. Floundering Gary

Caleb, I didn't realize what you were referring to. Wish I could, but I am a techno-ditz. I never even figured out how to play your lesson session, which I would love to hear. Also, for some reason when I try and play things people post, I just get 3 or 4 notes and it quits playing. I am absolutely clueless.

Yankee Fiddler

never mind. (sheepish grin)

i'll come back when i iron out the bugs. thanks for being patient. i just learned this stuff myself and i'm barely getting by. where's deb when you need her????

o.k. the easiest way i can think of to do it with the least amount of downloads is to use the musicmatch software for downloads and for conversion. http://www.musicmatch.com/

it's free.

download it, install it, run it, then use it to record the tune. after recording the tune, save it on your computer. then click on file/convert and browse to find the file that you just saved, then select where you want the converted file to go. on this same screen at the bottom right hand corner set the dial to about 40 kbps, then hit start. it'll save the file into the folder you selected as an mp3.

yankee: if you try this and run into a bug, let me know. the only problem i had with it is getting the volume cranked up on it. i've got a question out for bowflex to see if he knows what to do about it.

also, would you like me to send you the mp3's of HKV?

[This message has been edited by caleb (edited 05-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by caleb (edited 05-03-2001).]

Has any one tried Ocarolan's Concerto? It is a really nice tune, especially following a set of marches. I playThe Free Gardener, Nancy's March, then Ocarolan's Concerto.

I first listened to this set on one of Carl MacKenzie's cd's. He sent me the music to Nancy's March and I found the other two in some tunebooks that I have.

george

quote:

Originally posted by Vincent Izzo:

Hi

.... where I purchased my concertina...

Hey Vincent,do you play the English or the Anglo Concertina, and what brand of Concertina did you get?

(The Portland book is the best fiddle tune collection i've ever had, by the way)

Bob

go simon!!!

larry: how about it? drunken sailor, or maybe man of the house (yeah, yeah, i know...they're supposed to be YOUR favorites, not my favorites smile.gif) actually i love drunken sailor, too. just the way i play it it's boring, so i'd really like to hear it done up right.

yankee: which one are you gonna do?

bob: i'm e-mailing you with my extensive knowledge about how to post soundclips so we can hear your CD. but if none of those is your favorite...

quote:

Originally posted by vieuxtemps:

Thanks, Borzhava. I was wondering what would be good for a beginning fiddler. How much does the book/CD set cost, and where's a good place to find it?

-Aman

Hi Aman,

The 2 CDs and book cost $29.95, and I ordered it from my local music store. I'm sure you can also order straight from Mel Bay.

To elaborate, the book is not easy, but as a beginner, I find music to use as exercises until I find a piece that I can actually play.

Some of my favorites (other than August) are:

An Ayre for Else

Patti Fiddles the Blues (fun and raunchy)

Ton Simple (a trance-inducing semi-baroque piece)

The Magic Fiddle (transporting, and I am able to play it FAST)

Macpherson's Lament

Castallion Springs (bluegrass, very joyful!)

The Sandpiper

The Rocky Shore

Memories of St. Paul Island

I hope you enjoy them.

Klarika

I used to play OÇarolan's Concerto, but it was a long time ago when I first started playing. At the time I wasn't able to get all those triplets in a row.

I am going to try again and see if it sounds any better now. I remember it to be a very melodic piece and a nice change of pace from the usual jigs and reels that we play at our session.

yankee, gary, my apologies. i was working on that last night when i was already half asleep. not that i know that much more now that i'm awake, but i'm at least lucid enough to field questions and go try to find the answers. did that make sense to you guys?

Toasty! Yikes! Sorry you had a bad experience in Missouri. I live in Texas and have not noticed what you are referring to, but I think you can always find bigots anywhere in the world if you look for them.

Where I live now, I find it a more conglomerate mix of people than anywhere I have ever lived before. Everyone seems to be co-existing very peacefully. But I realize there are always exceptions to the rule.

Yankee Fiddler

I've always had an interest in folk tunes, especially those from the British Isles. I know the Irish Washerwoman and Swallowtail from two Suzuki institutes, and I've always liked Grainger's Molly on the Shore (has Temple Hill in it).

I like the idea of going to an Irish pub to learn. wink.gif

As soon as I learn HTML or get an FTP account at Peabody, I'll put up sound clips (not just of me).

-Aman

Perhaps you should boycott Budweiser, but I don't think it makes sense to punish a good company like MelBay for the anti-Irish sentiments of some Missourians. BTW, the reason to boycott Budweiser is over the quality of the beer.

quote:

Originally posted by toasty:

I would NOT buy any Melbay Book - made in Missouri- containing Celtic music, since the State of Missouri contains some of the most offensive anti Irish sentiment I encountered in the entire world and almost exceeds that of Texas. I there saw in the 1980s ads on local notice boards so disgusting I would not let my travel companion see them!

vieuxtemps: i've got a page where i can post clips but some people couldn't access them. do you have any suggestions for anybody on the recording aspect of it. i don't seem to be doing so well, what works for me just isn't working for others.

yankee: if you do have windows, you probably have a windows sound recorder. that will record and convert, but as near as i can tell, the clip can't be more than 60 seconds. frown.gif

rats. i was really looking forward to hearing everybody and their favorite tunes. if i recall correctly, this is not the first time that this idea has died a quiet death. bummer.

Back to the original question, I have now acquired The Portland Collection and Bill Mathieson's two Waltz books. I've been enjoying some of the waltzes and still working on the tunes from that little Famous Fiddling Tunes book that so many people got for $5.95 last fall. I have discovered that Merrily Kiss the Quaker and Morrison's Jig make a really fun set to play together one after the other.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else is still working out of that book? Yankee, you were at one point. I've been whittling away at them, and can now do Bill Cheatham, Billy in the Lowground and Blackberry Blossom at a pretty good speed. The guitar players I play with absolutely love those tunes. They were the hit of the outdoor Easter Egg hunt at our local state park.

I guess I missed your point. Not buying Celtic books from MelBay will really hurt those Irish haters in MO and make them mend their ways!

I was once in an Irish pub in Chicago and a couple of musicians there sang a really racist song (i'm dreaming of a white mayor, went the lyric). All of you out there please join me and tosty in our boycott of all things sold in Illinois.

quote:

Originally posted by toasty:

Same reason as people in Europe and the USA did to South Africa while Mandela was in Prison. It works.