Sign in to follow this  
Kyle Aaron

For those of you who read music....Try THIS! :-)

At "J" when we play like a dirigible, the score is marked pianissimo. But at K,L, when we "drive it," there's no dynamic marking in the lower staves. Do we drive it at pianissimo, or do we take the fortissimo marking in the top staff? I'm confused. I think I can "drive it" at pianissimo, but the fortissimo marking in the top staff seems more logical.

Please help! I really want to interpret this correctly.

Theresa

Theresa: I have heard several recordings of this: the 1954 Heifetz one, a young Anne-Sophie Mutter (1972), and Maxim Vengerov's that was supposed to be included on his Prokofiev concerto disc, but somehow got replaced by the far inferior Shostakovitch frown.gif.

My favorite, no surprise, is Heifetz's: in the "drive it" section he plays exactly what is in the score with no distortions. Mutter slows the tempo and Vengerov takes liberties with the marked bowing, which is key to bringing out the music here. For dynamics, it should remain at fff without overly accenting any single chord.

When I play this piece, I use the fingering

31402 (1st chord) 32410 (2nd chord) and so on, the 0 representing the thumb.

A good preparation for this piece is Kreutzer #2.

Musicologists now have good reason to believe that this is actually Paganini's 25th caprice. It was discovered by a Genovese (or is it Genoan?) janitor underneath three layers of wall-paper in an opera-house bathroom, according to one rumor.

Thanks, Emma! I tried it exactly as you instructed and it was quite moving--you know, that pianissimo dirigible so light and heavy at the same time and so quiet, and then driving it into that fff! Wow!

Roman, you're really a show-off! It'll take me at least two weeks to memorize this, but perserverence pays off.

And, Emma, again: Was that wallpaper flowered and curiously scratched as though with broken bits of rosin? I think I've seen the room.

T.

quote:

Originally posted by Theresa:

Roman, you're really a show-off! It'll take me at least two weeks to memorize this, but perserverence pays off.

T.

And Catch this; We're even leaving the cows and penguins on stage for and extra 2 1/4 measures! laugh.gif

roman

you know..... someone told me that the most recent version of finale lets you scan in music.... someone should try it..... see what it sounds like.... or if your comp will die laughing.

I'm going to start working on this tonight except that I don't have any bow oil. What type do those of you who have played this piece use? There is the traditional olive and of course whale is out. The insert peanuts notation might indicate using peanut oil but I've heard that some people are getting good results using modern synthetics.

Should I get dark or light bow oil?

....but are we still talking about Joanie's intonation? And what about those of us who can only reach a C string with the bow clenched between our teeth?

Really people...I don't see what's so funny. I'm playing the solo part with the Meadowmount Orchestra this summer...I've already started memorizing. Sheesh! crazy.gif

roman

Quick question:

I don't have the score right here, but when did this first appear?

Also, many thanks to you, Kyle, for posting this nonsense. I almost got kicked out of our faculty meeting on Thursday for guffawing over it--I thought under my breath--and showing general disregard to the proceedings of the meeting. I kept imagining those "fffffff's" being played "delicately"---and all those "fffffff's" played in consecutive up-bow's.

I really think a world class orchestra should perform this score. I'd pay to hear it--and to see the moments in which oil was applied to heaven only knows which part of the bow--and to see those "mute in" "mute out's" performed so rapidly.

Somebody really should do this.

I'll volunteer to play last stand second violins--and help get the cattle off stage.

Best regards,

Theresa

....and please let me know when the actual publication date was. Thx.

This is a local composer in my area. He also writes church choral music, which I have song a number of times. Most of his music is traditional unlike the piece featured here. His normal music is really quite nice and I was shocked to see his avant guarde style.

Several years ago I bought a similar looking piece of music, which was on an oversized score about 24" x 36". I framed it and hung it in my office. People never thought it was music but thought it made a great modern art hanging.

Next time I see John, I'll ask about this piece.

First a few notes on the piece:

:) the small fan I'm using doesn't seem to be enough to cool the tympani? are there any other cooling methods?

Measure 7) I realize I'm supposed to skip this measure, but what I'm concerned about is whether I'm supposed to play baseball or basketball in the meantime (and for how long?)

Also, the way I'm working it now, the last 4 chairs of the first violins and teh middle 3 chairs of the seconds leave if I happen to have a 3rd clarinet... This doesn't seem to be what's going on in the aforementioned Heifetz recording (which I too regard as the hallmark).

I also found out something about this guy Zdenko Fibich (as this piece is from "A Tribute to Zdenko G. Fibich)

Fibich, Zdenko (Zdenehak) 1850 -- 1900 Composer, born in Sehaborhaic, Czech Republic. He wrote operas, symphonies, and works for solo piano and was Kapellmeister in Prague from 1878. One of his melodies, Poéme, has remained a popular favourite.

hmmmm...

this resembles some of the stuff done in my 1st year university composition class... mind you, it is missing the plastic fruit tossing and toilet flushing noises that the piano students seemed really keen on.

What a great piece - thanks for posting it!!!

Really, I don't see what all the fuss is about, I found it quite simple, unfortunately the cows caused some problems in performance, nasty accident.

[This message has been edited by Gwyneth (edited 06-12-2001).]

Goodnes me ! .... that brings some fond old memories back smile.gif "Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd ne..he..ver end, la la la LA, la la la la la LA .....

dum dum dee dum de doo ...traaa laaa laaaa laaaa layyyyyyy OOOOOOOH ... hmm hmmm hmmm hmmm "