ADMIN: You really do have a config bug!

Mairead

I've gone to InfoPop's site and checked 6 other installations at random:

- eHobbies ( http://messageboards.ehobbies.com/cgi-bin/...s1/Ultimate.cgi ) works correctly.

- PhotoPoint ( http://www1.photopoint.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi ) works correctly.

- AcmeCity ( http://www.acmecity.com/explore/area/acmecity/boards.html )does NOT work correctly (and other problems are reported by their users. It's just now gone offline)

- ArsTechnica (an InfoPop site: ( arstechnica.infopop.net )) works correctly.

- NetNoir ( http://blackshopping.netnoir.com/cgi-bin/U...passCookie=true ) works correctly.

- Ms Magazine ( http://www.msmagazine.com/ ) does NOT work correctly.

The fact that I can deal successfully with other sites that use the same software indicates that you (and Ms Mag -- it behaves the same way; AcmeCity was different) have a config bug. I'd hope that you want to fix it, despite the fact that it apparently affects relatively few members.

What that means, Ysaye, is that the config bug is not hooking your particular setup. Feel fortunate! smile.gif"><P>It -- for bugs to be subtle and affect only a subset of systems. That doesn't make them not-bugs, it only makes them hard to track down. The gross bugs that affect everyone all the time never make it into the software release to begin with -- they're counted as 'category 1' bugs and the product doesn't ship til they're extirpated.

It's the subtle ones that make everyone crazy.

You are probably talking about a video call, in assembler it can be isolated but that would cost, frankly if U-b-b works on my old piece of scrap computer then any that have a problem ought to get a decent video card and check their memory modules.

Stream problems - unlikely, unless the telephone line is realy bad or one's motherboard or modem is a piece of junk.

OS Ware, well U-b-b works perfect in - Unix Linux Netscape, Unix xWinderz Sun Office Browser, and MS Winderz Netscape -

Inernet Explorer ( MS Customer Scrutinizer LOL ) I don't use not would never - Expensive

tooo large a memory footprint and too sloooow over TCP.

Video routines are the source of most conflicts, makes sense when one knows as you must surely do that 99% of PC sofware is video intensive? - Imagine the PC without a Monitor.

By the way it would be toooo expensive to hire an Assembler Engineer just to isolate some cheapo chip - probably made in Taiwan and under a generic brand name - better to replace the Video card, Oh before you do please do get your memory modules checked. Very common to have a bad address in economy sticks. If you are lucky enough to have Linux running it would not be a problem as Unix ware is very good at NOT using bad addresses.

If you'd like a simple Assembler to play with

there is one free in every Widerz machine, to use it open a DOS box and type DEBUG. Then type one ? press enter. There it is - you can

MOV, ADD, POKE, PEEK etc, you are the expert have fun. Oh nearly forgot - I think Winderz ME and later do not have as great a compiler as earlier versions - dont know- Micro Soft do supply a free stand alone Assembler called

MAASM - I dont like their stuff so I never did get it, but that would include compiler etc plus all the bells and whistles.

I like to buy Trindents even though generic they tend to give great color, but are low in memory.

In this case, I'd not think it a vid problem, tho, Toasty. For one thing, I'm running a Matrox Mill II with an 8Mb buffer, not a cheap card nor known to have problems. More compellingly, tho, is the fact that Marsden and Aman (who probably don't have the same card) are also having similar problems plus the fact that I have no problems with other installations that use the InfoPop software. That says 'Maestronet config' to me.

Apropos assemblers...my assembly language work was all in 6502 and CDC Cyber (CP & PP Compass) -- and doesn't that date me! smile.gif I've avoided learning the Intel assembly language so far, though every now and then I briefly think about it because I want a device driver for a nice-but-now-unsupported Seiko bitpad I own. One of these daze, perhaps. When I've nothing better, like fiddling, to do.

I probably won't use the debug one-line assembler, tho. You're brave if you use that scunner! laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by Mairead (edited 04-17-2001).]

Mairead, what sorts of problems are you and the others having? I did a search, but couldn't find other references to this. I've been having trouble with the BB "forgetting" me periodically. It happened in the past, but a search of UBB's site revealed that that bug had been fixed, and was for awhile after Maestronet upgraded (to v.5.45?), but now it's back for me (on this and another board that uses UBB).

Just curious if that is one of the problems you are having.

The main problem is that it isn't setting my back-button list. The 'Location' window never changes, it's always the one for the choose-a-forum page: http://presto.maestronet.com/discussion/discuss_frame.cfm . So there's no 'trail of crumbs' left under the back button and any attempt to reload dumps me back to that choose page.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'forget'.

Er. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the video card; that's just absurd. It's a software issue of some sort related to the browser interaction with the site.

Mairead, do you know if your requests are being redirected through a web cache? i.e., do you have a proxy set in your browser, and/or does your ISP forcibly cache content?

Funnily enough, Lydia, at work I go through both a firewall and the AdSubtract filter, which installs as a proxy on port 4444. I'm using NS 4.76 and have no problems with Maestronet's behavior.

At home, I only have the AdSubtract proxy. But that's not the locus because I fail with Maestronet regardless of whether I have AS operating or even installed, and I succeed with other InfoPop installations also without regard to the status of AS.

As to the ISP caching content...I've no idea. They might. But I'm not following why you think that would be a selective problem. It ought to serve pages from the cache transparently. Or am I missing something?

Can you think of something --apart from a M'net config bug-- that would elicit failure with M'net but success with other sites running the same (InfoPop) db-server package?

[This message has been edited by Mairead (edited 04-19-2001).]

What I mean by "forgetting" is that it doesn't automatically "remember" my username and password. Periodically, I get them back for awhile by clearing my cookies and such, but then after several weeks of it working just fine, I'll try to reply to a message, and it will leave the "Your UserName" and "Your Password" blank and I have to fill them in manually. In the earlier incarnation of the problem which I mentioned before, UBB claimed that it was just a problem for Netscape users using the version I was using (probably 4.7, but I don't remember). Sounds different from your problem, which must be far more annoying!

I believe it is a bad memory problem or wire connection, UBB stinks - could that be the reason, or some wierd connection settings in a computer.

Course it could be as you suggest the Server Memory card or a Data storage/whatever (covering all the butts one can lol) on route.

lwl leave me ALONE ok

and we will be fine.

This sort of thing is like fixing that car which WILL not start. Been there yet?

cya

[This message has been edited by toasty (edited 04-22-2001).]

Mairead, try bypassing all of the frame stuff and enter the discussion pages by using this URL. You will probably have to "copy" it, get off the Maestronet site entirely, and then "paste" it to your URL address box. (I'm not sure just clicking on it while you are still in Maestronets's "frame" will work.) http://fingerboard.maestronet.com/cgi-bin/...passCookie=true

Go into a thread and try your back-button. If it works, you can just save the above URL in your "favorites".

If it doesn't work, well I dunno.

[This message has been edited by Oldbear (edited 04-22-2001).]

it doesn't automatically "remember" my username and password

Aha, that's what I thought you might mean. Yes, I've that problem too -- it will (usually) remember within the same NS session, but essentially never otherwise. And it did start happening when I went from (I think it was) 4.2 to 4.6; before that it mostly remembered even across sessions.

This current problem of no back list is indeed much more annoying. I hope the fix Oldbear came up with will carry on working. (Can you tell I don't fancy my chances? (not an aspersion on OB smile.gif))

Mairead, I'd asked about the cache because it was possible that the intervening cache might have been adding headers that the browser interpreted as, "this content expires immediately, so every time you want to go to it, reload" and not put it in the back list. (Browsers all act in odd ways, since much behavior is not specified by any standard.)

The reason going to the site directly rather than going through frames fixed your problem is that some browsers consider a change of content in a frame to not be a new page. This, too, is one of those odd unspecified browser behaviors that contradict what most users would ordinarily desire.

toasty: I'm not picking on you. If you give wacky advice, though, expect to have someone object to it. (Note that I'm not the only one who said looking at the video card was silly.)

Did administration ever respond to this?

At the same time, I wanted to say that for the first time ever, my back button has been able to back me completely out of the site - which I think was one of the problems that was mentioned at the start of this. I have to assume that someone at admin did something.

Marsden

My understanding is that if in NS, you click to change the content of the frame, it does not record that in the "Back List", but if you just hit the back button, it *does* take you to the previous frame.

In IE (at least 5.5 anyway), it *does* add it to the "History List".

Gotta love it!