Sign in to follow this  
Laguna

Brahms 2nd movement help

I'm having trouble with the descending octaves section on the 2nd page. I just can't feel or hear the notes in my head as I do when I play the other sections. Any other tips for parts of the rest of this piece would be appreciated.

Use a 14 fingering.

In the first set of octaves, I "lead" with my 4th finger. I don't place my 1st finger before I get my 4th placed.

In the second set of octaves, I "lead" with my 1st finger when the pattern of the octaves changes. I stop the bow for a split second to allow the index finger to get up from the B to the A without going "Eeeeuuuu".

I do that bow-stopping thing in the 2nd to last octave measure too - between the beats.

To "hear" this passage, first learn how to tap a triplet in one hand and a doublet in the other. The rhythm is "Rat-tata-tat Rat-tata-tat" when done with both hands at the same time.

Then SING the octaves as a unison on the triplets while beating out the doublet (oboe melody).

C-Bb-A G-F-E

D-C-B Bb-A-G

[This message has been edited by HuangKaiVun (edited 04-13-2001).]

HKV- Do you use the 1 4 on all of the octaves? I've tried starting off with 1 3 from the beginning high C and then switching to 1 4 as I get further down the fingerboard but I still get tied up.

Yeah i hate using 1 and 3- sometimes in music, that's the 'recommended' fingering, but i think 1 and 4 is the easiest for octaves.

By the way, since we're talking about octaves here, anybody have any tips on the octaves in the first movement of bruch? They're not too bad, i just can't get them perfectly 100% of the time.

Practice scales in single notes, thirds, and octaves. Practice Kreutzer, especially #9 (got my hand frame into shape very quickly for octaves in Stravinksy). Lead with the first finger; practice with both fingers down but only bow the lower notes.

-Aman

quote:

Originally posted by Brian52555:

By the way, since we're talking about octaves here, anybody have any tips on the octaves in the first movement of bruch? They're not too bad, i just can't get them perfectly 100% of the time.

Are you emphasizing the bottom note of the octave?

roman

For the Bruch, I lead with my 4th finger and drag the 1st finger along.

This is because of the two fingers, I consider the 4th the melody line.

When I hit the 4th finger properly, the 1st finger comes out right too.

Yes, i've tried leading with the 4th in my mind. Well i haven't done it enough to see if it's a help or not. But so far, i think it's working... except sometimes now, my first finger drags and is a big high. When i used to lead with my 1st finger the 4th would drag behind. Ah well, i think i'll try it with the 4th finger. It seems like something that'd work. The worst part is that it's fortissimo, so i can't hide and play it softly! also, there's no hiding when i audition with this thing in a month or so. Darn, practice makes perfect.