Maestronet Forums

DavidK: please elaborate on composers!

Azeotrope

Lets see here:

Eric Ewazan (at Juilliard) and Ezra Laderman

(Yale) are top-notch composers. Michael Daugherty (Dead Elvis) is too; Corigliano (the Red Violin) has a Symphony (#1) that is almost a standard.

Stephen Paulus, who I believe passed away in an accident, wrote a killer Violin Concerto for Bill Preucil, Kernis is very hot, writing for Pam Frank and symphonies.

Two very unknown but fantastic composers are the Conductors Michael Tilson Thomas and Lorin Maazel. I have heard some of Maazel's recent stuff and wondered "why wasnt he writing all along?" MTT's "Diary of Anne Frank" is a very moving work.

On a slightly different note, in October I had the extreme honor of playing the Broadway show "Parade", 16 shows with the composer, Jason Scott Brown, conducting. He

is 30, just a kid, and bound to be the next great Broadway composer. If you ever get a chance, I Implore you to listen to the broadway recording of Parade, it will knock your socks off. I think he was the most gifted composer I have ever come across, regardless of style.

I played an Overture 10 years ago by a man named Kenton Coe, I think Australian.I dont know the name, but I think it was called Ischiana, not sure. I think I have hummed the tune every day for ten years now, it was that good. If anybody knows this composer, give me a holler.

Other notables of the older (read:may be dead) generation are David Diamond, William Schuman (his violin concerto is a must hear)

Jacob Druckman. I dont know if Diamond is alive, Schuman and Druckman are dead, and

Druckman died young.

John Williams is concentrating on classical scores now, and I think he is going to shock everyone. He is certainly skilled enough to do it, the Cello Concerto is interesting, and check out his Violin Concerto, recorded years ago by my buddy Mark Peskanov.

Schwanter writes good stuff, as does Zwilich,

Jay Weigel, Joan Tower.

Michael Nyman (film score "the Piano"") wrote a tres cool harpsichord concerto, so did Gorecki, Gorecki's third Symphony is a love/hate thing, I personally like it.

The important thing about the composers I mentioned is they all write in the old style, or tonal. There are lots of folks out there like Boulez or Mario Davidovsky, but that is for another post.

You mean it's not like a cross between "Sabrina" and "Star Wars"? I'm very disappointed--I would have played it!

I learned his theme from Sabrina a couple of weeks ago (I played it for dinner music and had three days of practice on it beforehand). I think it is the most glamourous music I have ever heard (in a glittering, gorgeous, good way).

I didn't like his music in "Phantom Menace" so well as, say, "The Empire Strikes Back."

One thing I noticed when I first played the Schindler's List music last year was its unviolinism. The intervals and keys did not seem congenial to my tortured technique at that time. Now that I am better, I can play it and make it sound decent (not like Perlman smile.gif), but it's still a bit hard.

How sad that Mr. Paulus is dead...I heard the story behind the Paulus concerto from an interview with Mr. Preucil on the radio. I want to get Mr. Preucil's CD of that.

How about Edgar Meyer? He wrote a violin concerto for Hilary Hahn (that I have not heard yet either).

I would love to see Perlman play Schindler's List live. I suspect for those open fifths, he doesn't cross strings, but merely extends for the notes -- with those enormous hands of his, he could span the fifth easily and still leave his hand loose and vibrate widely on those notes!

Ewazen is one of the more-commonly performed composers here at Peabody. I am currently playing the trio for trumpet, violin, and piano, just for fun. Great stuff!

I want to throw out the name Nicholas Maw - Peabody faculty whose violin concerto Josh Bell just won a grammy for. I haven't heard it, but I've looked at the score and it looks great, but difficult.

Looks like there are plenty of quality composers out there, who still compose music that "sounds good"!

smile.gif Jesse

DavidK,

[A native of Johnson, City, Tennessee, Kenton Coe began his musical training at the Cadek Conservatory in Chattanooga and continued studies in Knoxville before attending Sewanee Academy. He was at Hobart College in upstate New York for two years before entering Yale University from which he graduated as a History of Music major. He studied composition at Yale with Paul Hindemith and Quincy Porter. He worked privately for three years in Paris with Nadia Boulanger both at the Paris Conservatory and the Fontainebleau School and received two French Government scholarships at her request.

"Ischiana," an overture for orchestra, was commissioned by the Baton Rouge Symphony for the 40th anniversary season in 1989 and has subsequently been performed under the direction of conductor James Paul by several orchestras, including in 1995, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. ]

http://www.ageefilms.org/coe.html

I had to look him up as you said he was Australian and I've never heard of him before. Not that I know all Australian composers but as it turns out he isn't anyway.

Zoe, wow, thank you so much, that was very

nice of you to do that.

Yes, it's all coming back to me now. I played the Coe in New Orleans in 1990, with James Paul conducting. Around the same time I did another modern piece by an Australian

Composer, I think the name was Lilburn or Liliburn, and it was called Auroretera, or something like that, also a great piece.

FYI, I think James Paul is the most under-rated Conductor I have ever known. He would always come up with great unkown works, and as a conductor he was as solid as a rock.

When I was with the New Orleans Symphony, he was Principal Guest Conductor, and was the only conductor who could make the Orchestra sound like a Major Orchestra; the Music Director, Maxim Shostakovich ( yup, his son) cared for the Orchestra about as much as I care for Belly-button lint, and if his last name was Smith instead of Shostakovich, he would be saying " Do you want fries with that" or "Paper or plastic".

I like David Kechley. Heard the premier of his cello concerto in Seattle last May. His "Skylark" is now out in recording, and is terrific.

He is currently the chair of the music department at Williams College, which has developed quite a composition department (including Robert Suderberg, who, as I remember, organizes the BMG competitions.)

Elaine, I checked out the OKC Phil (Symph?) website, I would agree, I doubt they are gonna being playing Corigliano anytime soon.

Since you live out there, check out the OKC Concertmaster, Felicia Moye. She is a great player, I love the way she plays, and a really cool and funny Person. If she does Recitals, I implore you to attend, I was stunned to see her name on the roster, but I would assume she teaches at the University, because she could play in any orchestra she pleases.

MacCeol: nope, but check out www.lorinmaazel.com for samples of his new cello work. a bit atonal, but worth checking out.