Maestronet Forums

Recordings of Brahms' Violin Sonatas

prok3

Thanks, Toscha and whp4: that`s exactly the recording. I`m anxious to listen to it.

By the way, talking about C. Franck`s abscence( until now) from the Szeryng discography, does anybody know about some recording of the Bruch#1 with Szeryng? I don`t know if there is such thing, but if it does, I`m eager to listen. I searched and never found it.

Thanks,

Locatelli

quote:

Originally posted by stewarts:

A question for Toscha: What do you think of your namesake (i.e. Siedel)'s recording of the first two (I haven't heard his third and doubt if he recorded it)? Surprisingly I was not quite blown away with it.

Seidel did not record the third sonata, as far as I know (he did record the GRIEG third, though). I am not particularly fond of Seidel's Brahms sonatas. Those recordings are violinistically beautiful, but Seidel takes simply too much rhythmic liberties (or shall I say "anarchy"?) for me to stomach. His Grieg No.3 is pretty impressive, though Kreisler/Rachmaninoff version is still musically more conherent and superior.

Toscha

Jon, I just checked every category and searched. I couldn't find it either. frown.gif

These prices will make you cry compared to what I found at broinc.com, but the contents of the collection will make you feel rich.

Heifetz also never recorded Prokofiev 1 (to my knowledge). In a The Way They Play chapter, I think he mentions having learned it.

My brother and I are going to Italy. I collected audition requirements and faculty lists since before some summer camp webpages were updated for the next year, and in spite of all my preparation I find out about a program in Europe that requires no audition, just a deposit to reserve your space. Go figure! I would have liked to go to Encore after hearing Andy's stories. Aspen, Musicorda, Music Academy of the West, Killington, and Round Top were on the list, too.

-Aman

My favourite recording of the Brahms sonatas is by Joseph Suk, with Julius Katchen. His tone is warm and generous, but never to the point of obscuring the line. You get a real sense of structure and beauty from his performances. Not superstar material, but perfect for Brahms chamber works (I think..)

Prok3, I can recommend the Vengerov/Barenboim recording of the Brahms 3rd sonata. I love it - not least because it is coupled with his breathtaking live recording of the Brahms concerto. His playing on this disk is very passionate and there is often a feeling of restrained energy in his tone which I find quite tasteful. Barenboim is great on the piano as well. A great disc that I think is well worth the money.

I actually have Vengerov playing the 3rd Brahms sonata several times on video with various pianists and I always love his interpretation of this piece.

The other recording I have and love is the Perlman/Ashkenasy recording. It is great too.