Maestronet Forums

Sight-Reading and Memorization. Connections?

paganiniboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T_H,

That is a very insightful post you gave us. Thank you. But, i'm a little confuzed... What I 'think' you said is... Oh well nevermind. Sorry I'm just really exhausted and tired from today... And, I can't remember what I just read. (Don't worry, I will by the end of the day though... smile.gif) But anyways... Hmmm... Oh yeah, so you're saying, kinda, that it is a basic part of memorization to know how to sight-read well? I don't know if thats what you really said, but, if not, please exaplain it, again, in simpler terms for me... I'm really sorry...

laugh.gif

P

quote:

Originally posted by paganiniboy:

T_H,

But anyways... Hmmm... Oh yeah, so you're saying, kinda, that it is a basic part of memorization to know how to sight-read well? I don't know if thats what you really said, but, if not, please exaplain it, again, in simpler terms for me... I'm really sorry...

P

No problem, PB, most of that abstract was cut and pasted in from the PsychINFO abstract for the article. I think what it says is that sightreading can be a valuable aid to memorization, particularly if sightreading ability is accompanied with a good knowledge of musical structure and well-trained muscle memory. I think that's the point some of the other posters have been trying to get across in reference to their own experience.

Hope this helps,

Trent

quote:

Originally posted by paganiniboy:

I've seen this already two times, but, what IS "muscle memory", ?

If you perform a motor skill enough, the thought is that the neural pathways established between the muscles involved and the spinal cord, are sufficient to drive subsequent responses. You then don't need to think in order to perform the action, which greatly speeds things up. This is how jerking your hand back from a hot iron occurs.. the muscles are thought to begin to pull the hand away before the brain receives the impulse.

Or something like that smile.gif

I have always found that it is easier to memorize a piece when I can sing it. I don't have to sing it well, but just get the basic direction of the melodic line and or any accompanyment internalized.

My guitar teacher taught me a technique called "Aim Directed Movement". Using a metronome on a slow setting at first you move from figure to figure. You eventually work it up to tempo so that your fingers know where to go without looking.

The only thing I have found to help sightreading, is sightreading. It is a fun exercise to take a score and read other parts. It is challenging as parts written for other instruments don't necessarily work like violin part. This has the advantage of forcing you to approach the instrument differently. It's like sharpening a pencil. The more you grind off the sharper you get.

Don Crandall