Maestronet Forums

Random Thoughts about Moods and Interests

primechoicebeef

Hello all. I was just thinking about these two unrelated thoughts, and thought that I'd ask you all what you thought.

First of all, does anyone else find that playing the violin is an has an incredible effect on the player's mood? For me, the only things that can cheer me up are playing the violin and listening to Dave Matthews (strange combination, huh?). Anyone else experience this also?

Second random thought: As a high school student, I see that many people enjoy doing only one thing. How many of you actually enjoy doing other things other than playing a stringed instrument? I am just wondering because sometimes one can tell a lot about someone's personality by the things they like to do...

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Eric

Listens to Country Music on the Radio when writing sometimes, used play in a band where there would be lots of noise and distractions but kept playing - had to LOL.

Cannot play well with the TV or Radio on, unless playing along with the music.

Personality and music - hummm good question,

some people are great musicians but bad tempered, others can be happy and great players too.

:0)

I find that I get a "runner's high" off playing. Playing in the mornings, before work, is especially wonderful -- at the end of a practice session, I feel rested, calm, alert, and have a mild pleasant sense of euphoria. In the evenings, after a long day, I find the discipline of repetitive exercises like Sevcik really brings my brain into equilibrium. (Either that or I'll get fed up and want to do something else!)

When I was a teenager, I used to play for emotional comfort from time to time, but stopped when my teacher complained that this kind of playing-without-using-your-brain, doing-whatever-occurs-to-your-overwrought-teenaged-brain, was destructive to technical and musical discipline. I'm less inclined to worry about such things these days, but I'm really more inclined to spend time with people, when I'm not so thrilled with life.

Violin is creeping its way to being my primary hobby, at least in terms of raw time consumption, but I do a lot of other stuff as well. (Adulthood has made me put some priorities around what I want to do. When I was a teenager and college student, I did everything! -- much to the woe of my parents, who wished I might, like, study from time to time...)

I also like playing in the morning before work but I have to keep myself from doing it because it too often makes me late. I get into that "well, just one more tune before I go" mode and the next thing I know, I'm late. It's just too hard for me to put the dang thing down when it's time to go.

I love playing at night...when no-one else in the house is awake...for my house that usually means after midnight. I am a night owl, so that doesn't bother me.

I have too many interests.....I do watercolor painting,garden,and make jewelry....my emotional outlets used to inclue walking on the beach with my dog...riding my horse through the woods, and playing "freebird" on the piano...no longer live "ON" the beach...have the horse, or the piano...so now, it is playing ashokan farewell in the cool night air and listening to the accompanying crickets...taking a deep breath

and enjoying the smell of Jasmine,honeysuckle,garnenias, or mimosa drifting in.....and suddenly everything feels right with the world...........

[This message has been edited by Dunvegan (edited 03-31-2001).]

I feel good after a decent practice session (it's been a while!).

I chess used to compete with violin/music as far as playing and reading. Strangely enough, on days I practiced well, I lost most chess games. And on days I was busy reading about chess or days I won most games, violin practiced didn't go well.

The violin won. After Spring Break of junior year I had to get cracking on a big poetry project: we had 6 weeks to do it, and I chose to do it in 3! Combine that with drafts of my AP Music Theory project ("Variations on a Theme of Paganini for 2 Kazoos, Contrabassoon Reed, Triangle, Strings, and Piano") and I didn't have enough time for chess. Violin sure as **** wasn't going to drop out of my life after 14 years.

I could get back into chess, but I lose enough homework and study time as it is everytime I go to the FB "just for a couple of minutes."

I like qigong, investing, Maxim magazine, and cigars, but music dwarfs them all. (Except maybe the October 2000 issue of Maxim...with a Montecristo.)

-Aman

Music has always been a refuge for me. Sometimes it is listening, sometimes it is playing, and sometimes it is composing.

But I have several other hobbies that trade out with each other in addition to music. Music is not something I ever go away from, though, even when I take a year or more off from other hobbies.

In addition to music, I have a passion for reading, writing, painting, history, role-playing, and china.

There's just not enough hours in a day or days in a week to do everything I'd *like* to do. At once, anyway. smile.gif

I play when I'm happy, or when I'm blue, I'll even play when there's nothing else to do.

And I'd better stop right now before I start sounding like a bad country song...

-deb

There are lots of things that put me in a good mood, but playing violin is one of my favorties. smile.gif

I have too many extracurricular interests! Aside from playing classical and Celtic, I also draw, do computer art, design websites, write short fiction and poetry, make jewelry, and I've started dabbling in MIDI composition... *sigh* all this, and a bio major too...

I'm so internally active that playing simply gives it an external release.

A few days ago, somebody asked me if playing calmed me down. I replied with these words: "need for speed".

My students and I are all intellectual types who study various mental and physical disciplines outside of violin playing.

I hope to open a hardcore Northern Shaolin kung fu school in about a year or two.

As a relative novice, I find that practicing either makes me euphoric or frustrated... depending on my expectations at the time.

I find that the violin is one of the few things that can completely get my mind focused on something other than work (as sick as that sounds). I also enjoy reading fiction, distance running and violent on-line computer games, for their immersive qualities. wink.gif

besides the occasional burning in my forearms from doing schradiek or whatever 100 times over, yes i feel pretty **** good after i play, i love listening to good classical music

i obssess over violin and golf right now,that and reading books

i also take martial arts a few times a week ,that gives me a big workout, if any of you have done Chung Moo Doe you know what im talking about =]

I also enjoy violent online games! =] if anyone wants to play counterstrike sometime give me a ring and ill kick your butt

[This message has been edited by Crushen (edited 04-02-2001).]

Ah, Chung Moo Doe - the new Korean martial art.

There are two factions of Chung Moo Doe: one that is dedicated more toward performance and exercise and one that is devoted more toward combat usage.

Most of my regular students are young pre-high school males, and we all play video games.

My favorite slasher video game is Star Wars Episode One: Jedi Power Battles (Playstation).

But I also play NBA Live 2001, which is an incredible game that you can't win unless you do massive pick-and-rolls and power postups - just like REAL basketball!

I had a very odd knack for Unreal Tournament - I routinely visited servers filled with people who practiced up to 5 hours a day, but I was still competitive against them (playing from time to time). I don't play that game anymore, but towards the end, I developped a special skill with the sniper gun - I used it as a regular weapon, and not with a camping/hiding stance.

People constantly accused me of cheating because my accuracy was outstanding with it (fatal weapon if you aim right, but low rate of fire).

[This message has been edited by Mu0n (edited 04-03-2001).]

Every time I get immersed in a hobby, I meet people who only do that hobby, and it sometimes just amazes me how crazed they can become. For example, genealogy. It can take over every waking minute. And shooting sports, scuba diving, motorcycles (I'm out of that one now), and dog obedience. There are some very focussed (sometimes scary) people in each of those areas. Not me. I like all of them.

But fiddling has taken me over and is edging out the time for every other hobby. I fear I'll end up a one hobby person after all. I clearly spend more time on it than anything else.

And it definitely energizes me to play.