Maestronet Forums

Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma

CML101

While I was watching the Oscars, the musical selections were performed by Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma(sp?). They did a great job together with the music, but I noticed something that I have never noticed before. Yo-Yo Ma is such a beautiful man to watch play. Everything about him evokes an image of the artful expression that he puts into his music. Has anyone else ever noticed how beautiful his performance style is? I especially love the way that he smiles when he is playing something that he likes!

Christy

quote:

Originally posted by DavidK:

It is easy to put down Artists like Perlman

and Ma because they are "commercial" and

"crossover", but when you see those boys do

what they do best, it is very clear why they

are at the top of the A-list. Wonderful

players, great stage presence.

I agree.

If you thought the piece he played on tv was astouding, you should see him play the hard stuff! He virtually sits on his left hip bone and sways quite a lot. He usually has fun on stage by nodding his head at members of the orchestra. He plays really cleanly but the concert i went to wasn't one of his best. He missed an entrance to the Dvorak Cello Concerto.

This oscar performance wasn't a great showcase of his talent. I think he was fooling around because he played almost every note with his 2nd finger smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by corncan:

This oscar performance wasn't a great showcase of his talent. I think he was fooling around because he played almost every note with his 2nd finger
smile.gif

I think you are correct for I noticed this too. He DID look like he was enjoying "playing around" with the music though.

Christy

quote:

Originally posted by corncan:

I think he was fooling around because he played almost every note with his 2nd finger
smile.gif

Actually, I don't think that is correct. In the Chinese themed music, he used his second finger so much because that's part of the style. He did it to make his cello sound similar to a traditional 2-stringed Chinese instrument (I've forgotten the name). This instrument is played in a very "lush" style with most all of the shifts being heard. By shifting around on his second finger, Ma presented a very close representation of that traditional instrument. When watching "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", you may notice that his playing sounds the same way. He was using his second finger a lot there as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter:

Yes, I thought Yo Yo was also a pleasure to watch. Also, it seems that Perlman seems to big for the violin, see his big hands and even his face. Makes the violin look miniture.

True, and, Perlman himself said as much in a video he did to accompany his CD Perlman's personal picks......in it he says that "his own hands are rather large for a violinist...and that his idol is heifetz....whos hands are the perfect size and his playing is just like his hands...perfect"

I have seen Yo-Yo in concert and found it a joy to be at the performance. We also got to meet him and he is truly a delightful and gracious human being. I know there are people who do not like his playing but I feel he has done more to promote classical music than any other musician in the last 30 years. Even people who do not know anything about classical music know who he is. His crossover work helps attract new listeners and expose more people to the wonderful world of classical music.

He's also a very considerate colleague and is one of the easiest people around when it comes to putting a performance together. He did the Dvorak Concerto with our orchestra a few years back and also did one movement in a related youth concert. From start to finish he was gracious and unaffected. And he played the **** out of the Concerto.

Perlman has talked about some of the contortions his really huge hands allow him to do. For instance, he can cross his third finger over his fourth finger, thus being able to play even beyond the 'typical' extensions he can do just with his fourth finger! (There's an interesting picture of this.)