Maestronet Forums

What things get in the way of your playing?

HuangKaiVun

What things get in the way of your playing?

Nowadays, the only thing that really throws me off my violin playing are my school academic demands.

Come test time, I'm a wreck. I try to maintain my equilibrium, but I can't do otherwise than grind myself into the ground in preparation.

Even then, my level of play doesn't really fluctuate. However, my WILL TO PLAY is greatly diminished in the face of work requirements.

What about you?

I go to an arts school, so I have to play, regardless of time constraints and work. But playing for myself though, I find myself playing less and less, both for practice and enjoyment. I dunno if it's the territory of being a teenager, but it sucks! Most of the time, if it isn't schoolwork, it's always the little things (I dunno if you know what I mean by "little things", but just work with me here laugh.gif ).

Just the other day I got to play some string trios with my friends.... the best 45 minutes of playing I had in a long time... If you think about it, it's sad, really.

*sigh* All work and no play makes Caroline depressed frown.gif.

*wishes for longer days and shorter school hours*

-Caroline

I'm the same as you here, HKV. When I have a writing assignment due for school, I can spend a whole day typing or staring at the computer screen in deep dark despair. I feel as though I am dead, and it always makes me mad when I don't get to play enough. Even if the academics are valuble for me (and my writing assignments do turn out well), I resent the way they rob me of energy to even want to play my instrument.

Another thing that gets in the way of my playing is posting on Maestronet. Although it pays back in the knowledge I get here.

The only other thing is living in a large family. However, as my family could tell you, I usually don't let dishes or laundry distract from practicing.

At gigs, a lot of times my good friend plays bass. If we're standing together on the stage, we'll usually end up talking & fooling around a lot as we play. That definitely takes something away from what I play! It's like we're little kids in the classroom...we should be separated!

I'm just plain Lazy! I can never practice during the afternoon, I need that time for "mental" practice and other things. The best time for playing for me is after midnight. I don't know why this is, but I seem to be more aware of what's going on with my playing during the wee hours of the morning. Anyone else like this or am I just a freak?

Currently, a certain musical is stopping me from practicing more than three or four times a week shocked.gif! I go to an academic private school and I have a lot of work. I need lots of sleep or I'm dead so I can't practice all night. I'm a little bit too lazy, too.

I just signed up for courses for next year (I'll be a junior). AP Literature and PreCalc are going to get in the way of my violin playing.

Jury trials and Court of Appeals briefs. Those are both extremely intense experiences, and I don't do anything else, including dishes, cooking, cleaning, talking to people who aren't witnesses, or playing the fiddle, when I am in the midst of a trial or a brief. My dog barely gets fed.

Work definitely gets in the way, but also the lack of a proper place to practise where I can go no matter what the hour. I think if I were to take up my violin when I get in from work after midnight my downstairs neighbours might resent it.

the things that get in the way of my playing are my music stand, the classroom door and the back of my teachers head! (It is a small room) Seriously,I am not a student but a wife, mother and clockmaker and if I do not play first thing in the morning I don't play that day, and to me that day is wasted. It is like not reading my Bible in the morning

(just before practice time) the rest of the day seems disjointed, without focus. The Word and my violin, keeps me sane and productive. Janice

Out of town company gets in the way of my practicing. Recently I had out of town company, and finally told them I had to practice. The gentleman felt he had to talk to me everytime I stopped playing all about what I played etc. He was quite a talker and I finally figured out I had to be rude and just play and let him yack, otherwise I would get no practicing done. I hated to be rude, but he just would not let me practice. After that time, I would wait until my husband was home, and let him entertain them with TV for a while and chat with them (after all they were HIS relatives) and run off and practice in another room.

Another set of out of town company came recently. One night after everyone went to bed I practiced from 10:00 to midnight. Another two nights I did not get to practice at all, and for several days after they left I was so behind in my household that I didn't have much time to practice.

I hate to run off and be rude when we have out of town company, but gosh darn, there are a few things I need to do regularly, like practice, read the newspaper, pay bills, do a few chores, open and read the mail etc.

Yankee Fiddler