What instrument is everyone playing?

Stephen  Fine

I recently acquired (from another Maestronet member) a violin labeled C*h*r*i*s*t. Gottfried Hamm, dated 1874. It has a somewhat high arch, though not a 'balloon.' It's an easy player, with a well-focused tone on the higher strings and a warm, penetrating G. It's easy to 'dig in,' and it is quite forgiving of my heavy-handed technique.

[This message has been edited by Mark_W (edited 03-24-2001).]

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi: I play a 1908 violin made by Johann Glass from Leipzig, Germany. It has a nice, open, bright tone--sturdy, but not harsh. It's a happy fiddle. Had it since about 1970. Has a label inside with his name and the date as well as his name burned on the neck. Label says Johann Glass, 1908, Court violin maker, Furnisher to the Gewandhaus Orchestra und Conservatory. I don't know much about the instrument--my parents got it for me thru my teacher who was a member of the Detroit Symphony--think he got it from someone in there. I anyone knows anything about this maker, please email me.

Mine is a '2000 model from a chinese shop. I purchased in Cincinnati from Jim Johnson at Strings&Things. Beautiful golden brown wood with excellent grain show-thru. Wonderful full sound with incredible projection. A few pics are available at

http://w3.one.net/users/gough/violin

Oh, and nope, it's not for sale! laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by ShadowHawk (edited 03-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ShadowHawk (edited 03-24-2001).]

WEll, I have posted once already about my Stringworks Virtuoso violin (called Amazing Grace)...but this past week I acquired a very nice Knilling (NOT made in Korea!) violin that has SOUL!!! She has a warm and sweet sound with plenty of projection... So I am celebrating my new stringed friend! I'll be happy for a LONG time with her!! laugh.gif

I can't remember if I have responded to this thread a long time ago or not. Anyway, here it is again: I play a Mathias Heinicke made in 1923. Golden brown, one piece back with amazing flames. A few hair line cracks in front but I repaired them, a small chip off the corner. Sound a little to the dark side. The best part of the story: I got it at a flea market for $80 one year ago.

A few days ago, I've posted my violin had some strange problem in another thread.Well, I took it for repair and the dealer offered to buy my instrument for 10% higher than what I bought 4 months ago and I sold it.And I bought a new instrument yesterday, its a 1735 G.C Loilo.The sound projected from this violin is amazing and harmonics are clear and sparkiling but not overly bright.I can easily project myself in a 2000 seat hall and its not loud at all under my ears and thats what I love most about this violin. smile.gif

Lymond,

Not the same, as I detailed in my e-mail to you. Probably a descendant.

quote:

Originally posted by Lymond:

Hey Mark_W... is this the same Gottfried Hamm which you were so envious of back on 12-26-1999 05:21 PM when you posted about your Magini copy? Congratulations on your new instrument.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for restarting this thread. It's always interesting to see what folks are playing. How does BF Squier relate to JB Squier or his son?

We've added and shed a few violins in the interim. Perhaps the most interesting new toy is our Yamaha Motif 8 (keyboard synthesizer). IMHO, the sound and the feel of this electric piano is much better than any acoustic piano I've ever touched. You can feel the "strings" vibrate. And it never needs tuning!

2001 Stringworks Artist violin

Early 1900s Czech - George Klotz Copy violin

Mid 1900s JG CO. violin

The Artist and the JG are going on the block after christmas. I'm thinking of a Scott Cao 800 as a stepping stone on the way to a David Palm.

The Czech is a real sleeper. Not particularly well made, not very good looking, and sings like an angel. I'm going to do a little more set up work and hang onto it for a beater. It's a great yard party and camp fiddle. If I had any common sense I'd put some money into it and skip the Cao.

good heavens this is an old post...

the pate is now sitting on the couch in the computer room collecting dust...i really really need to sell it...me needs a new bow.

anyhow...i found "THE" instrument. I've had it almost a year now...crazy. its made by Lawrence Furse of Salt Lake City, Utah. he was suggested to me by Bein&Fushi oddly enough. i love it...it keeps getting better. currently using a Coda Classic; currently wanting something better.

For the last 8 months I have been playing a Jan Dvorak model 33 made in Prague in 2001 imported by Knilling. Has a very pleasant sound real step up from the Old German no name that I started on. Not a bad sound but no power. I plan to keep my Dvorak for quite some time the grain on the top is deep and gorgeous. It sings to me when I play it. I think purchasing this instrument has had more to do with my development than any other single thing, I can't stop playing it.