Maestronet Forums

Ashokan Farewell with Mark O'Connor and Pinchas Zukerman

Agatha

nashville: any songs on that CD that are comparable to Flowers of Edinburgh? i absolutely love that song! can't picture O'Connor doing Ashokan Farewell better than Ungar any more than i can picture Ungar doing Flowers better than O'Connor. guess that's the 'law of first mention', huh?

caleb: nothing like Flowers of Edinburgh on this CD, don't know if O'Connor wasn't influenced much by this style, or just didn't know who to include on the album. It's a great piece, though. Mark's version of Ashokan is nice, and quite different from Ungar's, as a duet with Pinchas Zukerman. Give it a listen, you might like it.

Also on the album:

Jean-Luc Ponty

Johnny Gimble

Byron Berline

Vasser Clements

Doug Kershaw

Buddy Spicher

Kenny Baker

Terry Morris, Texas Shorty, and Benny Thomasson

Stephane Grappelli

L. Shankar

and "The Devil Come's Back to Georgia"

As you can see, a real blend of styles!

quote:

Originally posted by Mairead:

Ashokan Farewell
was written by Jay Ungar and Molly Mason for use in the Civil War mini-series that was on the telly some years back. It's become their signature tune because so many people love it. They've a web site, I think.

The first time I heard Jay play this tune was as a farewell to the participants of his Fiddle camp at Ashokan NY in 1982 or 1983. If I recall correctly Jay was still married to Lynn Hardy [later of the "Rude Girls"]. This was years before the Civil War series on TV. I took some lesons from Jay in the following year and the inspiration for "Ashokan Farewell" , as I recall, was Scottish and not American.

[This message has been edited by Vincent Izzo (edited 02-16-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Vincent Izzo:

The first time I heard Jay play this tune was as a farewell to the participants of his Fiddle camp at Ashokan NY in 1982 or 1983. If I recall correctly Jay was still married to Lynn Hardy [later of the "Rude Girls"]. This was years before the Civil War series on TV. I took some lesons from Jay in the following year and the inspiration for "Ashokan Farewell" , as I recall, was Scottish and not American.

[This message has been edited by Vincent Izzo (edited 02-16-2001).]

Vincent:

How did you like Jay Ungar's fiddle camp? His home and camp is just a short ride from my house, just over the Hudson River from me. I would love to attend one of his camps!

Sabrina

vincent: i remember reading the story about the origins of Ashokan. imagine being there! (guess you don't have to imagine it, huh?) cool.

charly: actually i stole my dog's handle. i named him caleb cos i wanted him to be courageous and 'have a different spirit and follow me fully'. ha! that desire would apply to me as well. <><