Maestronet Forums

In search of a sad song

DigiMark

I'm tired of the baroque jolity of Bach, or of most other composers for that matter. I don't want to play any more Rondos, or Allegros, or Romances (at least not at the moment).

Does anyone know a sad piece I could play (Level 4 or 5 preferably). But one that could be demonic, sad, disturbed, lonely, melancholy, or any combination of those things. If anyone knows of such a piece, thank you. Perhaps it will give me something I can play where my true emotions can come out, and not some forced happiness or passion that just isn't there.

thanks

DM

You can usually play the melody line of Chopin Nocturnes on the violin without trouble. They're beautiful and hardly jolly. You might also look at vocal music.

I know what you mean. I'm playing a Mozart Flute Concerto in orchestra and I think I'm cheerfulled out! They feel a little forced- Mozart wrote them for the $$$.

Hey Digi,

there was a piece I heard at a recent concert in Cleveland...it wasn't the happiest sounding thing in the world...but I can't really remember it...I wasn't paying as close attention to the music as I was to a boy in one of the sections below me.

I don't know, maybe you could look it up or something?

J wink.gif -y

Say, with all these good suggestions, you'll soon be weeping and sobbing your heart away in grand style!

I sometimes like to get in a minor key (Gm works well for me) and invent brooding and meloncholy melodies, raking on double stops on the low strings, soaring to a high lonely pianissmo wail, etc. Good catharsis now and then.

"Songs for Harvey" (violin or viola solo) or "The Secrets of the Dark Pool in the Pine Forest" (violin & piano) by Diana Burrell. Both are published by United Music Publishers (UK). It's contemporary music that sounds a lot more tricky than it is - especially the solo piece - and it brings out a lot of emotions that I didn't know my instruments possessed...

You want sad? I know you are looking for something classical, but there is a Lament that is very sad called "General Monroe's Lament". Not only is it a very haunting melody (also pretty simple, like I said, probably not what you are looking for at all) but it is a lament for General Monroe who lead an uprising in 1798. He had a successful battle in Saintfield but was defeated in the Battle of Ballynahinch and ran and hid. But, he was captured, hung, then beheaded.

Believe me, it really is a sad, haunting melody, and even more so, after knowing what the lament is all about.

Yankee Fiddler

My favorite is the slow movement of Vivaldi's "Winter" of the "Four Seasons" concertos. It can be a haunting love song or melancoly - it depends on the tempo and how the accompaniment is played. My own perverence is a tempo marking of no more than about 50 -60 per minute for eighth notes, and only the slightest rubato here once or twice and with turnes into the notes that ae indicated to be trilled - but not trilling them (mostly). Whatever the emotional state of the player or listener - this will enhance it.

But then - I also try to bring tears to the audience when I do Schubert's "Ave Maria" on the cello. It was always fun to make them cry at Christmas! It's how you play it that does it.

Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Mairead:

Digi, is there some current reason why your true emotions are sad?

Yes, but that isn't what this post is about, or will ever be about.

With that said, thanks for the concern. And thanks also for the suggestions everyone. I really hadn't expected so many. I'll run some of them by my teacher, and we'll pick one to be my next piece.

Or maybe I won't even want my teacher's input, and will just do one on my own.

In either case, thanks all.

DM