Maestronet Forums

CREMONA , finally, here I come!!!!! (maybe)

Lee Essayan

My lifelong dream has been to visit the cradle of the violin-making art.

The closest I've ever come to it was a train ride (non-stop) THROUGH Cremona on the way from Venice to Milan. I never got to visit the modern-day luthiers or to see any of the instruments that might possiby be for sale.

For once in my life, I want the opportunity to possibly own a fine Italian violin.

So, for those of you who might share my interest, I'm in process of trying to arrange an "el cheapo" tour of Cremona and its luthiers.

Understandably, this is in its early stages pending receipt of indications of interest.

If you share my curiosity, please either post or eMail me privately so that I may determine if the venture is doable.

Thanks,

Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee Essayan (edited 01-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lee Essayan (edited 01-18-2001).]

Well, I would pay a visit to maestro FRANCESCO BISSOLOTI, Sacconi`s best pupil that works in a very tradional way. An instrument by NADIA MANTOVANI impressed me also. French bow maker JEAN NARROS makes the finest bows in Cremona. But in general, with noble exeptions (maybe 15 maestros), Cremona violin making was a deception to me. It lacks personality, in general, and the tonal aspect is not good in general.

Go to dine in LUCIOLA or RISTORANTE CENTRALE. If you are a maker, go to visit the violin maker`s suplier owned by MORASSI.

In general, I stay in HOTEL IMPERO, but it`s not cheap (as in general nothing is cheap in Cremona). The collecion of intruments in the Pallazo Comunale is one of the finest in the world, few intruments but all them are outstanding. Go also to Turris Libreria, Libraria del Convegno and Cremona Books, for books about violins. Go also to the Museo Stradivariano. Try a visit to the violin making scholl and it`s museum (it`s not easy, you have to know a student or a former one).

Cremona cuisine is fantastic! Buon viaggio!

Maybe this is one of Manfio's restaurants, but if you stand facing the Duomo, take the street that runs along the left side back behind the Duomo a block or couple of blocks and look for a modern, fancy restaurant on the left side of the street with not much of a sign and modern double glass doors. Plan on spending a lot of money for a really good dinner. Someone with more information might be able to provide more precise directions.

And for those who may not be going to Cremona soon, there is an exhibit of about 25 violins from Cremona at the Baroque Violin Shop in Cincinnatti, Ohio.

I went there last week and played about a half dozen of them. My favorite was a Guanari copy made by "Tadioli", (sp).

They were in the $8,000 to 25,000 range, with most around 12,000 to 15,000.

I have been planning to go to Cremona for some time, but every summer, there was a problem. This summer doesn't look good either. Maybe next year.

I don't speak Italian. I speak English and broken French. Do you think I should learn Italian before I go there? There are lots of tourists so I am thinking that I really don't need to learn Italian. Any thoghts?

Bon jour, Illuminatus:

While modern Europeans (in general) have widely prioritized learning English, the courtesy you extend them in making even an awkward attempt at speaking to them in theirs in their own country is highly respected and very warmly received, perhaps not so much by the French, for example, but, most enthusiastically, by Italians.They are highly flattered by it and it will,I guarantee, open many doors.

I taught myself the language because I fell in love with it and can now confidently handle any situation traveling throughout Italy.

I did it mostly from courses on tape and I tried lots of them, some good, some bad and some a total waste of money and, more importantly, your valuable time. Being multi-lingual to begin with was a HUGE advantage and your French, being closely related, would be an enormous advantage.

If you're serious and committed, eMail me privately and I'll be glad to tell you what works and what doesn't so you don't spin your wheels experimenting with a lot of junk as I did.

Buona fortuna!

Lee

I went on an educational tour of Italy 4 years ago. Some of the people over there may still be laughing at the way I pronounced my shoddy few words of Italian, but at least I tried. I found that the people were very receptive and friendly, and usually they'd just gently try to correct you if you made mistakes with the language.

I also speak French, and it made Italian a lot easier to understand when I was trying to figure out things like maps, menus, brochures, and signs. If I could afford to go back, I'd do it in a heartbeat! When I went to Italy, Cremona wasn't one of the stops on the tour. Someday..someday I'll go back to Italy and visit Cremona. I've promised myself I'll do it somehow! I've been trying some Italian language tapes, and they're a lot of fun. Maybe next time I go, I'll be able to actually have a coherent conversation with someone in Italian instead of trying to tell them something in a mangled conglomerate of English, French, and Italian..

[This message has been edited by 2Violet (edited 01-19-2001).]

illuminatus:

I speak six and English is one of my better ones.

That's fine. However, before undertaking a university course in a foreign language, might you not first consider a course in remedial English?

To wit: "I can't NEVER motivate myself...? wink.gif

Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee Essayan (edited 01-20-2001).]

You should know, if you want to have contact with italians, they can not speak english, at least many of them, and if they do, usually very badly. I am living in Florence at the moment, studying violin, in Vicchio, were il Giotto was born. Cremona... I did not like it, and in Italy the best luthier now is in Lago Maggiore, not there. His name is Lucca Sbernini, he won these last years the most important prices.

Anyway, enjoy your time in Italy, a lovely country!

quote:

Originally posted by illuminatus:

I have been planning to go to Cremona for some time, but every summer, there was a problem. This summer doesn't look good either. Maybe next year.

I don't speak Italian. I speak English and broken French. Do you think I should learn Italian before I go there? There are lots of tourists so I am thinking that I really don't need to learn Italian. Any thoghts?

Thanks for the tips Pety,

Ma io parlo Italiano abbastanza bene. Credo che habbiamo molte gente qui (di Fingerboard) che anche parlano Italiano.

A proposito, Firenze e una bellissima citta', non e vero? Ce un ristorante li, si chiama, "Le Quattre Staggione". E bennissimo e la specialita' della casa e una grande "bistecca ala Fiorentina". (1 kilo porterhouse).

Delizioso!!!!

Salute! smile.gifsmile.gif

Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee Essayan (edited 01-21-2001).]

www.cremonaturismo.com e in un clic è possibile avere tutte le informazioni necessarie per vivere Cremona e il suo territorio senza difficoltà: per trovare il ristorante giusto, per apprezzare i tesori d’arte della Terra di Stradivari o semplicemente per prendere parte a una delle tante sagre che si svolgono in provincia.

Il sito Internet dell’Azienda di Promozione Turistica del Cremonese è il primo passo per creare con stabilità e regolarità un servizio di informazione utile e sintetica. L’home page di www.cremonaturismo.com presenta da subito la possibilità di utilizzare la versione italiana o quella in inglese. Il sito, ancora in via di definizione e miglioramento, offre tutta una serie di informazioni legate ai luoghi di interesse naturalistico o culturale, oppure alle opportunità di divertimento e di svago, agli appuntamenti che mensilmente si svolgono in provincia; questo per citare solo alcune delle voci lincabili nel sito. Non mancano poi i recapiti di musei, teatri, ma anche dei ristoranti, nonché degli uffici turistici disseminati in tutta la provincia.

per their website