Maestronet Forums

New York auditions.

roman

As I am preparing for auditions in the great urban city of New York, I thought it might be wise to ask those of you who has gone through the process of university auditions how the jury formats the audition. Do you have ample warm-up time just before the audition or are you lined up ouside the door like you are waiting your turn for a strip search?

Are they sitting there in their austere suits ready to chomp you down, or is the atmosphere rather relaxed? Do they expect shirt on tie, or just dressy casual attire? etc.

any info is good! smile.gif Thanx

roman

Roman,

Contact the University/conservatory before hand to find out where you may warm-up -- they would expect that.

As for what to wear, dress appropriately. Dress nice. You are presenting yourself as a potential asset to their department -- make them realize how bad they need you.

Regarding the possible strip-searches, I think you are safe. So far in my experience, they have not been required. [smile]

VG

p.s. Good luck, and wish me luck too -- I do my graduate auditions in Feb and March.

aS THE JURY IS made by persons, and each person is different, each audition is also different. Just try to be yourself, do not try like the jury. My personal opinion is that an audition is not the best solution to take students, you must be nervous...

The best is what in some places do, a trial period, the school where I am at the moment,Negri Violin School, in Italy, they do so. In this case, the teacher can see more things about your playing, your progress after each lesson, your personality...

But unfortunately there are not many places like this one.

a friend of mine had a friend who was auditioning to NYU ie Manhattan Consevatory...and its reported that for his audition he played for a panel of judges that included dorothy delay, pinchas zuckerman, and midori, just to name a few...i'd be nervous as can be with any one of those 3 in the room let alone all of them plus other greats.

i know another couple of friends of mine who are now at the cincy conservatory auditioned for DeLay...and others....

I want to audition to NEC when my time comes, but i think i'd like go into shock auditioning for kashkashian if she hears auditions and is still there...a friend of mine played for here last week....i'm sure he did great....he's at ncsa, left me back home to what little competition there is left...

well, i've speiled for way to long now, probably just enough to scare you just a little bit...good luck on the auditions...

quote:

Originally posted by Primrose84:

I want to audition to NEC when my time comes, but i think i'd like go into shock auditioning for kashkashian if she hears auditions and is still there...B]

Kashkashian IS still there and wish me luck because I was invited to audition for her studio in March. I know what you mean: I think I might go into shock... [smile]

VG

~to Viola Girl~

I'm so happy she joined the faculty at NEC...but with great violists like here ya never know where she'll be when i'm a senior and auditioning (i'm only a sophomore in HS)...i've still got the rest of this school year and the next before i start auditions...unless i happen to find my way to her and play for her...total shock...GO KIM!!!!!

By the way...how did you happen to get invited to play for her??? i'd cherish that opportunity dearly. What will you be playing for her??? Good luck!!!

quote:

a friend of mine had a friend who was auditioning to NYU ie Manhattan Consevatory...and its reported that for his audition he played for a panel of judges that included dorothy delay, pinchas zuckerman, and midori, just to name a few...i'd be nervous as can be with any one of those 3 in the room let alone all of them plus other greats.

Well, that is one of the schools where I'll be auditioning. I have always wanted to play for Ms. DeLay and I can only hope that she'll be there! I would be so excited! My professor said that she always made him feel like he was worth something and that his playing was valuable. Very unlike the stories of the austere violin professor that many make her out to be. I would be on cloud nine of Zukerman was there. His recording of the Tchaik. is what got me started and still inspires me to this day!

I just hope that nerves don't take over...Yikes!

roman

Thank-you Ole Bull

and good luck Viola Girl!

[This message has been edited by roman (edited 01-17-2001).]

quote:

By the way...how did you happen to get invited to play for her??? i'd cherish that opportunity dearly. What will you be playing for her??? Good luck!!!

I sent in a preliminary CD and NEC called me to request a live audition for her studio (which was as per my request, anyway). I am going to be playing Hindemith's "Der Schwanendreher," Bach's "Cello Suite No. 5," and some other smaller pieces representative of the Romantic and 20th century.

Thanks for the well-wishes, you all!

VG

~Viola Girl: I'm getting jealous already...i just have a few questions for you if you dont mind.

What grade are you in i.e. age (if you dont mind, i know its impolite to ask a lady)??

How long have you been playing??

Did you enjoy playing der schwandereher??

As a violist, did you hate hoffmeister?

As i sit here i'm getting more and more jealous, i would do almost anything to go to NEC...anyhow, further good luck, best wishes...

Primrose

[This message has been edited by Primrose84 (edited 01-22-2001).]

Kim is magnificently good and she's a marvelous viola professor as you all know, but don't let this get your nerves in a tangle. She is also very kind, understanding, and she works with students really well. Don't forget, all those magnificent people (even Midori) were once students and have had their fair share of nerves and anxiety.

quote:

Originally posted by Viola Girl:

Kashkashian IS still there and wish me luck because I was invited to audition for her studio in March. I know what you mean: I think I might go into shock... [smile]

VG

Primrose84, who said I was a lady?? [smile]

I am a senior in college, and I am 21. (I graduate this semester...yeah!!!)

I have played for 12 years.

I love "Der Schwanendreher," I love Hindemith -- but, man, is the last movement a you-know-what! I am still working the glitches out...

Yes, I dislike the Hoffmeister -- especially that opening chord. [smile]

Primrose84, you need not be jealous because your time is just around the corner -- that's so exciting, don't you think?! Plus, I am not sure I will be a t NEC -- I have also applied for Peabody to study with Victoria Chaing under my current teacher's recommendation. I will be grateful to study at either of these places, really. But Kashkashian is my idol.

Stringhappy, how do you know so much about Kashkashian? Have you studied with her? Regardless, I am very interested in what you have to say... Would you please email with any more info at my personal email? Thanks.

Sorry, Roman -- I didn't mean to, but it seems I have stolen your thread. Sorry, again! I am rooting for you and your auditions!

VG