Viola-Mom, ViolaGirl, ViolaBoy, Viola-Goddess

crystal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by violagoddess:

You know, that was a good point about violists advertising that they are violists. I think what it is is that violinsts are ashamed of the fact that they play an inferior instruments and violists are proud they play the better one! Go violas!

This is absolutely not the case. The truth is that violists know their instruments are inferior and therefore they have to keep trying to convince everyone - and themselves - that it is actually superior. I've seen it happen time and time again. Violinists, on the other hand, are secure in the knowledge that their instrument surpasses all others in every aspect and they don't have to keep advertising the fact.

Agatha, whatever.

I'm living proof that your above statement on violinists thinking the things that you say they do is untrue. So is violagoddess, who also plays violin (I know her in real life).

viola-mom, I'll be designing a 2-class seminar on "Knowledge Network" to teach people of all ages how to play violin or viola. It's not meant to turn you into a concert soloist, but it will be a solid introduction to the world of violin playing.

By the end of the 2nd session, the participant will walk away with a solid posture, a major scale, "Twinkle", and maybe even be able to read some music.

I got the idea because our luthier has hired me on Saturdays to play on his customer's violins for them. Instead of simply playing, I now put the violin and bow under the victim's chin and teach them how to play their own instruments. It seems to be working quite well.

Keep your eyes open for it - I'd love to see someone as talented as you in my class!

Uh-oh... The violinists found us! [smile]

Well, Agatha... I won't comment on that last statement, because I hope you are kidding... and plus, even if you WEREN'T, you gave all of us violists a great laugh! (Has everyone picked themselves off of the ground, yet?)

Actually, I am just kidding all around. I am NOT out to start a war with other intrumentalists -- all instruments can be beautiful.

Viola-mom: Take of HKV's offer! That would be awesome!

Tschus,

Viola Girl

p.s. Sorry, Primrose84! Here is my belated greeting: "Hi!"

p.s.s. Journey, I play a 16" viola because I am a short 5'2" Korean with short arms. [smile]

[This message has been edited by Viola Girl (edited 01-16-2001).]

>(Journey): I have a question, though, now >that all of you violists are on this post: >How many sizes of violas are there??

Eep..I think your serious question got lost in all the silliness, Journey.. smile.gif

I don't know if this is the full range of standard sizes, but I have seen violas listed that were sized all the way from 12" (child's) up to around 17.5" (an "oversize" viola..must be for tall adults with VERY long reach!). Around 16" is generally considered a "full-size" viola.

Mine is slightly smaller than that--a 15.5" model. I may try out a larger model sometime.

quote:

Originally posted by ViolaBoy:

This is great how we can have such a huge topic on something seemingly so silly.

Whoa whoa whoa, back up the bratsche train here! Since when are violas a silly topic??? I think it's due time that the violists on this board come together and assert their superiority!

Speaking of which, I can't believe I missed this thread. I usually love to advocate the cause of the viola as much as possible. As Viola Girl often says, VIOLA POWER!!!

quote:

Originally posted by viola-mom:

No one is going to be left out. JOurney, we need a fiddle-daughter! You are it!

And JKF--the more the merrier. Another March, 1984, hun? My daughter is March 9, 1984. (hope she doesn't mind that I posted this!)

I was born on March 10, 1974.

Violamom, violagoddess, and I all live in the same area.

Thus we're all related wink.gif

GO VIOL(A)!

I'm not out to start a fight but I stand by what I said 100% - and I wasn't kidding. Most of the replies after mine have proved my point. How often do you hear a violinist saying things like "violin power" or "go the violins"? And I do know what I'm talking about because I have had first hand experience with this heaps of times. Violists are always nagging on about how good their instrument are - why don't you just let your instruments do the talking?

It IS rather hard to let the instruments themselves do the talking on an Internet bulletin board. The "Go Violas" comments (and most of the other comments on this thread) were made in the spirit of fun. We make positive comments about the viola because we love playing it, not because we're seriously trying to put down anyone who doesn't play one, or dismiss the importance of all other instruments besides the viola. I would never *seriously* make the claim that my instrument surpasses all others, because every instrument has its own special and unique musical role.

[This message has been edited by 2Violet (edited 01-16-2001).]

Well, here's another violinst!! Even though I play violin I love the sound of a good viola. I even tried playing viola once but I just couldn't seem to express myself on it. There are NO inferior instruments- only inferior players. I enjoy listening to any instrument IF it is played proficiently!! So GO VIOLAS!!!

Oh, brother!!!!! I play violin and I think viola is a wonderful, rich sounding instrument. Why does one have to be better than the other?

This is ridiculous. I posted this thread and it's just supposed to be a fun thread.

Have you ever seen the bumper sticker "Mean people suck!!"? Someone always has to ruin things.

[This message has been edited by crystal (edited 01-16-2001).]

If anyone would assume that we are making our viola power statements seriously, then they would probably also assume that viola jokes reflect the truth. Scary thought.

The truth is, violas are seldom given the credit they deserve. I have played violin, viola, cello, and bass, and I can tell you that viola is by far the most difficult instrument to play well, in my opinion. Yet violas have a reputation for being technically lazy and stupid.... unfair and untrue. Viola power statements just make light of the bad reputation we have. It's fun to show that we don't care what people say, we have confidence in ourselves that we are equal musicians in every respect.

I agree with crystal. Mean people suck. smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Agatha:

I'm not out to start a fight but I stand by what I said 100% - and I wasn't kidding. Most of the replies after mine have proved my point. How often do you hear a violinist saying things like "violin power" or "go the violins"? And I do know what I'm talking about because I have had first hand experience with this heaps of times. Violists are always nagging on about how good their instrument are - why don't you just let your instruments do the talking?

** HKV, Crystal & all the other violinists to whom I deeply respect and am thankful for their support, please plug your ears (or cover you eyes) to my next comment as it does NOT apply to you. Agatha has provoked me to state one of the most TRUTHFUL jokes I have heard:

"What does a violinist use for birth control?"

("What??)

"Their PERSONALITY!"

Agatha, get over you violinst-snobbery. The reason why you never hear violinsts saying things like "violin-power" and "go violins" is because many of them have the same self-worshipping mentality as you. Have you really ever heard of a "First Violin Society"??? Of course not, because many of them couldn't possibly sit in the same room without a cat fight occuring -- that is, of course, if they could lower their noses to even SEE that others are around them.

Now this is not to say that all violinists behave this way -- proof can be found in the previous statements from people such as HKV, Violon, Crystal, etc. I, myself, have a lot of violinists as friends, and I often tease them (as they tease me), but never with real conviction. They have broken the "haughty violinist" mold because of their modesty and humble attitude -- it is unfortunate that you have reinforced such an unappealing stereotype.

You sound young, inexperienced, and petty. If this is NOT the case, and you are NOT in fact young, again...how unfortunate.

**I re-state that this does not apply to the other violinists on the board that have also "broken the mold," and shown their support as MUSICIANS alike.**

Still Respectfully,

Viola Girl

p.s. By the way...VIOLA POWER!!

[This message has been edited by Viola Girl (edited 01-17-2001).]

I was SERIOUS about the triangle.

There is no instrument that matches its polyphony, richness of timbre, emotionally melting overtones, earth-shattering bass, ethereal grace, crystalline purity, overwhelming register span and true geometrical beauty in its simplicity.

Ok, time to sleep.

I'm sorry for causing trouble and most of what you all said about me is true, unfortunately. OK, I am a snob, and I'm mean, but I can't help it if my ears like the sound of violin best. Sure, all instruments are important - I wouldn't say equally - but I just happen to like violin better. Is that a crime? Obviously it is here at Maestronet. Well, I think I'll give it a rest here for a while.