Maestronet Forums

Price of lessons in your area

rainyann

Another thread brought up this question for me.

Does anyone care to share the cost of their lessons? I know it depends on your area and the qualifications of your teacher but I am a bit curious. Thanks in advance to those of you who care to reply.

Here on Long Island, I pay $38 for a 45 minute viola lesson for my son. His teacher plays in the Long Island Philharmonic. His previous teacher was $50 for one hour. She was wonderful but unreliable and would occasionally forget that she had a lesson with him! (????)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had lessons last spring with a student who charged $14/ half hour. I think I need a more experience instructor, so I plan to switch this spring. My new instructor charges $20/half hr. or $36/hr. . He is a former member of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, so I know I will be challenged. I can't wait to start!!! laugh.gif

out here in Sin City (las vegas), the rates go for a professional from $30 for 45 minutes all the way to $50 for an hour...for a student to teach you its about $5 for a half hour and $10 for 45 minutes (my friend teaches a half our for 5 and i teach 45 minutes for 10 bucks). I, because i found my teacher when she had just moved back from La La land (Los Angeles), still pay what comes to 50 cents a minute...kinda expensive long distance, but great for lessons. My teacher is wonderful...i'm really going to miss her when i go off to college.

Rates in my area(Portland,OR) vary a lot and not necessarily are based on how good the teacher is.

My lessons are $30/hour and my daughter's are $27/30 minute and I have the better teacher. My daughter takes from a well established registered Suzuki teacher that specializes in young children(my daughter is 4). Few teachers in the area will take a 4 year old. I'm taking violin from a adjunct viola professor at a small city college, she also is a free lance performer in the area. She is young and has just moved. She is an awesome teacher.

Its purely supply and demand. Just like violin prices, don't judge a teacher by how much they charge, it is not a reliable metric, you may be paying for pedigree rather than ability to teach you anything. Having gone through MANY teachers on various instruments, price had little to do with it.

Hi,

I live in the Netherlands. Most people begin music at public music school, that in our town is sponsored by the community.

I have a "go as you please card". It costs me about $100.-. I devide it up in 8 lessons of 30 min. I take the lesson when I think I need one. I can spread them out over one year.

My son takes lessons at the same school and wem pay $270.- for that, all year round.

The teachers have all gone to the conservatorey and although that isn't necessaraly proof that they can all teach well, we've been very lucky to have a great violin teacher.

I don't know what private teachers ask here, but I guess it will be around the amount that most of you have to pay.

I feel very lucky!!

Some UK prices:

My teacher is an orchestral professional and charges about $37.50 an hour. My son who is 5 goes to Yehudi Menuhin Young Strings, where individual tuition costs about $300 for 20 x 30 minutes (2 lessons per week). Public schools (ie state ones) pay instrumental teachers about $25-30 per hour.

Max

[This message has been edited by M Rankin (edited 01-09-2001).]

I used to charge $50, but I reduced my rate to $45 because I REALLY teach for only about 45 minutes (I include breaks in my lessons).

Not only that, but the people in my area can barely afford anything more than that.

I only have about 3 (soon to be 4) paying students that have stuck with me for more than the intro lesson (for free).

I firmly believe that's because of my hardcore methodology and not my fee.

The university where I work has a program to allow their undergraduate and graduate music majors to gain teaching experience. It is open to anyone in the community, adult or young person. Most of the participants are elementary through high school age and use this to supplement the at-school group instruction they recieve. My teachers have ranged from good to excellent with the main drawback being that I've had three different teachers over the 24 months that I've been taking lessons.

The fee is $270 for a series of 12, 1-hour lessons. So I guess that works out to around $22.50/hour. Plus I can walk from my office down to the music building after work one day a week for a lesson. That makes it a better deal than $22.50/hour across town would be.

I live in Winchester, VA, about 70 miles west of DC (over the mountains). I wanted to start taking guitar lessons again, but I need a fairly high level of instruction (I've been playing for almost 30 years including semi-professional work). The local university has a good music conservatory with a solid contemporary/commercial/jazz music program. They also offer a community arts academy that allows you to take lessons with faculty and other professionals in the area. Up until last summer, however, you could only take jazz lessons with the guitar prof who plays professionally with the Air Force jazz band and around the DC area. He was charging $40 for a half hour and I'd have to drive into Mannassas for a lesson so there was no way I could do that. This summer, they added a guy to the community arts program that just got out of the Marines, where he played guitar with the Marine jazz band. He's moved to Winchester and charges $15 for a half hour through the community arts program. I'm lucky since he's kind of my age (8-10 years younger) and lessons usually go 45-60 minutes while we just kind of play tunes and talk theory and BS. I'm having a lot of fun with it and it's great therapy.

I pay $15/half hour for lessons. I am in the southeastern part of West Virginia in the "big" town of Lewisburg. My instructor doesn't actually play the violin (I am sure to get responses on that!). He is schooled in music and plays the piano and the bass fiddle (is that an appropiate name?).

I pay $30 for a 45 minute private lesson. I think this is an outstanding value. My teacher plays with the Albany Symphony Orchestra and several smaller ensembles. I think he could charge way more than he is and truly appears to be a starving artist. He often goes way over the time limit and has never asked for more money. (such a sweetie!)

smile.gif

hm... i think my teacher charges 70 dollars an hour. (i'm in the suburb of washington DC and i study w/ a National Symphony musician)

I have a friend who took lessons in Boston area with a prominent cellist who taught at NEC. I believe she said he charged 175 an hour.

I know a curtis violin teacher who used to charge 120 dollars about 2 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the price went up.