Maestronet Forums

wearing a wristwatch while practicing

Daisy

Do you wear a wristwatch when you practice? I've always worn mine, but lately I've heard teachers saying that you should never wear one because no matter how loose it is, it puts pressure on one's tendons and cuts off circulation and so on.... A lot of my friends NEVER wear them, because they got used to not wearing one when they practice and it bugs them all the time. (They drive me crazy because they never know what time it is!) I know I could just get a pocket watch smile.gif but I do rather like my wristwatch. Can any doctors in the group tell me whether it's really as bad as they say?

My daughter ALWAYS wears a watch, every day of her life. She is left-handed, so she wears her watch on her right hand, and she has never indicated a problem.

I started observing orchestral and chamber music players and noticed that many of them also wear a watch on the right hand, and according to my daughter, they are not necessarily left-handed.

I always take my watch off my left wrist when playing. It does constrict. For the first few years we were married, my husband and I wore our wedding rings on our right hands, we couldn't stand playing with them on our left. After we career changed out of music, and were playing less, we switched to our left hands. I still had to take off my rings when playing, though now that I only have my wedding band left :-( I can play with it on my left hand no problem. I wonder how many other vln/vla players wear their watches on their right wrist?

I started wearing my watch on my right wrist (I am right handed) when I noticed it banging against my viola in upper positions. I never heard the theory of a watch putting pressure on the tendons... if it's loose enough, will it really make a difference? And if it possibly can make a difference, is it possible that wearing a watch on the right wrist could cause problems for that hand?

I never noticed any constricting effect while playing when there was a watch on my wrist. However, I do usually take off my watch when practicing..mainly because I'm used to wearing it on my left wrist, and I noticed it rubbing/scraping against the varnish the first couple of times I played the viola. I'd rather have my wrist feel naked without the watch for a couple of hours than put some easily preventable scratches on my instrument.

quote:

Originally posted by fiddlin:

I wear both my watch & wedding ring on my left hand, and neither interfere with my playing.

You wear a ring while you play! I can't stand wearing a ring when I play. I have a favorite ring that I always wear on my pinky, but when I play it has to come off because I can't stand it! I can't even wear a ring on my right hand when I'm bowing. It just doesn't feel right. You're fortunate that it doesn't bother you.

Journ

quote:

Originally posted by Journey:

You wear a ring while you play! I can't stand wearing a ring when I play. I have a favorite ring that I always wear on my pinky, but when I play it has to come off because I can't stand it! I can't even wear a ring on my right hand when I'm bowing. It just doesn't feel right. You're fortunate that it doesn't bother you.

Journ

Yep! Actually, my ring does turn around on my finger from time to time. It's not a plain wedding band. It has some diamonds across part of it, and sometimes during a tune I notice the ring turning so that the diamonds aren't on top anymore. Sometimes it makes a perfect 360-degree turn throughout a song! But it doesn't interfere with my playing. I've gotten used to adjusting my ring after each song (even though it'll turn again during the next one!).

Wristwatch protocol:

When practicing at home:

Remove wristwatch and hang it on one of the flat metal prongs that form the back of your Hamilton 400N music stand. After practicing, take watch and put on wrist.

When at rehearsal or performance:

If male: put wristwatch in pocket.

If female: put wristwatch in violin case next to your lipstick.

Very interesting- maybe I should mention that I use one of those Velcro watchbands that are really soft. I also wear it pretty loosely. For awhile, teachers were making everyone take off their watches during rehearsal and I just about went nuts because I like to know EXACTLY how much time is left at a rehearsal! I kept my watch beside me on the floor but just about stepped on it several times. I should mention that I almost always remove my watch and ring (RH) when I practice piano- seems like they bug me more during piano than violin. Do a lot of you married people wear your wedding rings on your right hand?

I've always worn my watch on my left wrist because it was easier to look at while writing something, me being right handed. I'm never uncomfortable playing with or without it, and I haven't worn any rings, bracelets, or anything like that for years (I'm a 15 year old female) because they always bothered me while playing piano (the other instrument I play) and doing stuff like washing my hands.

I ALWAYS wear my watch. I am lost (and I get grumpy when lost) without it. I do not find that it distracts my playing, however I wear a very loose watch. I have a velcro band that allows me to wrap it around my wrist as loosly as I need it to be. (They work great, and the entire watch and band only costs about $12 at a Wal-Mart.)

As far as rings go....I wear my engagement ring all the time too. I NEVER take it off, unless I am having it cleaned. I am too fearful of loosing it. If I ever notice it affecting my practice, however, it will have to go to the right hand during practice sessions.

Christy

I have found that my watch and any rings end up being more of a physical distraction than a genuine hindrance (I wear my watch on the right though). But in my case I only wear rings or watch itinerately (wedding band excepted), and since they aren't a "part of me", I think I take more notice of them. And sometimes I become conscious of my wedding band and have to remove that too.

[This message has been edited by ckrupsha (edited 01-08-2001).]

I wear a watch, 2 thin silver bracelets and a wide wedding band, all on the left wrist/finger. Until reading this post, I hadn't really thought about constrictions. I've been "wearing" this setup for so long (years and years), that I don't even notice their presence. The bracelets are narrow (not the hinge and chain kind) and stay above my watch, although my watch does slip sometimes nearer to my wrist. My wedding band has caused me no troubles or pains, but I don't know if it has been restricting my reach to any degree.

For the past two days I've been playing without the watch and ring. Yesterday, I did feel like I played a bit longer than usual, but I'll keep trying this naked playing and see. Maybe it's a placebo thing! I haven't performed in public, so what my arms may look like isn't an issue.

Interesting topic!

- Greta